uprated actuator an wow

paul-murphys

efr 6758 here i come
i sent my hybrid off to have new seals in an decided to stick uprated actuator on my standrard ko4 an wow cant belive difference its made. boosts higher an just pulls a lot better, get 20 psi at red line, set it up to old actuator an car feels so much stronger an getting better booost an coming in quicker. is this normal to get more boost? car feels better for it

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
if its a higher pressure opening, the car will obviously be boosting higher..
if you log, and confirm what block 115 is doing you may see and compare if you have them, to before actuator, and see if actual is >request
check 031 and 020 tho, incase its now too much

i personally think, on these, that there is often so much back pressure on the manifold/hot side that it can in fact push open the wastegate which is why a stiffer actuator may hold it shut.

paul-murphys

efr 6758 here i come
if its a higher pressure opening, the car will obviously be boosting higher..
if you log, and confirm what block 115 is doing you may see and compare if you have them, to before actuator, and see if actual is >request
check 031 and 020 tho, incase its now too much

i personally think, on these, that there is often so much back pressure on the manifold/hot side that it can in fact push open the wastegate which is why a stiffer actuator may hold it shut.

peaks to 25 then drops to 21 at redline... wouldnt car dump boost if was overboosting?

thankyou

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
Your car will hit limp mode if the achieved boost exceeds the requested boost by aproximately 200mb. Your map still thinks your running a 6psi actuator so under its normal duty cycle its loosing controlof your boost. Simply plumb a manual boost controller in parallel with your n75 valve and adjust until desired boost levels are achieved.
Your risking your rods and clutch at the moment. :blink:

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
i dont have vag com or havnt logged car before but taking i on rollers soon to see how its running so will get them to do some logs. i thought if car was going to overboost n 75 would open actuator, peaks at about 23 an holds 20 - 21 to redline.

you have moved the expected minimum boost threshold up tho, so its not unreasonable to expect to see the boost higher now...
depending on the remap on the car and if the limits have been moved the car may or may not drop into limp from a deviation code..

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
the highest i see them on stage 2 mapping is 22psi, occasional 25psi spike, and drop to 15-18psi by 6krpm as they're out of puff by then

works them hard - aka muchos hot egt's and alot of glow from manifold and turbo after only a few short concurrent acceleration runs..

jamiebennett81

whats safe boost for a k04 23 with uprated actuator. seen cupramvr is running uprated actuator with no problems, will see if can get map adjusted.
worried something will break now :-(

I am pretty sure cupramvr (yellow LCR with Awesome GTI sig right?) has done his internals i.e. rods

hence he runs quite a bit of torque on his cupra

doesnt the BAM engine run 19mm pins as well? or is it 20mm? if it is 19mm, then I would not exceed 1.5 bar at the most, or bendy rod time. Hence the boost on mine is clipped at 1.45bar

paul-murphys

efr 6758 here i come
I am pretty sure cupramvr (yellow LCR with Awesome GTI sig right?) has done his internals i.e. rods

hence he runs quite a bit of torque on his cupra

doesnt the BAM engine run 19mm pins as well? or is it 20mm? if it is 19mm, then I would not exceed 1.5 bar at the most, or bendy rod time. Hence the boost on mine is clipped at 1.45bar

not sure if has will ask him, i have a 210 engine whick believe has different pins engine code amk. dont go on full boost but car seems to pull so much stronger with this uprated actuator.

looking at set if rods i can change without having to remove engine

jamiebennett81

IIRC, AMK has 19mm rods too, same as BAM.

Cheers mate, thought the auq, amk and bam engines all shared 19mm rods. Odd how some like cupramvr is running alot of torque! Guess it's the luck of the game if the engine let's go or not. I'm not prepared to risk it though

JamJay

California Bound
All I know is that the pistons are forged and can take a fair bit, 400bhp most likely but the rods are the weak point and I wouldn't head much over 310bhp on stock ones just to be safe...there was a discussion recently about this. As far as I know, it was just a rumour that there was a difference and all LCR rods were 19mm and LC is 18mm? Or am I completely wrong?

Anyway, like others above, consider changing them to be safe and to enable yo to push the bhp/torque up alot more in future.

jamiebennett81

All I know is that the pistons are forged and can take a fair bit, 400bhp most likely but the rods are the weak point and I wouldn't head much over 310bhp on stock ones just to be safe...there was a discussion recently about this. As far as I know, it was just a rumour that there was a difference and all LCR rods were 19mm and LC is 18mm? Or am I completely wrong?

Anyway, like others above, consider changing them to be safe and to enable yo to push the bhp/torque up alot more in future.

No the 180 LC's have 19mm

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
Its strange they put 19's on the LC's AUQ lump as the earlier AGU golf engine has the same 20mm pins and forged internals as the BAM.......and largeport head.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.