Varta Battery transport vent hole seal.

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
I've been talking about my battery woes in RUM's thread about his rusted and snapped subframe bolt but decided to start this new thread because I wanted you all to pick up on this particular subject in relation to my new battery in the hope someone can advise me.

I've just had the battery replaced by the Seat dealer down here in north Devon - I'm a long way from home just now - They responded quickly to my request for a new battery and I found them very helpful and pleasant and I can thoroughly recommend them - Croyde Motors: https://www.croydemotors.co.uk/ - definitely good people if you're in trouble here in North Devon. It's a small setup with much more of the feel of a "family run" garage. I've just been having a quick look over the installation and it all looks very neat with the casing clamp nicely installed (ie. not squint as it was from the original factory fitting!) also terminal clamps correctly installed and treated to a dose if gel - looks like Holts Nocorode if anyone knows that stuff, however I've just noticed that there is a small white plug in the end of the top strip of the battery. If you look at the other end of the battery there is a small hole which I'd guess had an identical plug in it at some time. My assumption is that they are vent plugs to stop electrolyte leaking in transit? My guess is that, if they are indeed there to block the vents during transport, both should have been removed when the battery was installed in the car but for some reason only one was removed. However maybe only one needs to be removed? I just don't know. Of course maybe it's not a vent plug at all, but I can't imagine what else it could be. Anyone able to offer advice? I will be ringing the garage tomorrow just to check if i should do anything about this.

I'll try to attach pictures showing the little white plug in the left side of the top of the battery and the hole in the right side - that is looking at the front of the engine bay from in front of the car.

P1100266.JPG

P1100264.JPG

P1100265.JPG

Oh, by the way, RUM and Super V8. I said I'd post pictures of the bulge in the end of the old battery due, I'd assume, to sulfation causing the plates to swell:

P1100259.JPG

P1100260.JPG

We were talking about thermal blankets too RUM. So here's the Ibiza installation, in all it's "naked" glory - not a blanket in sight!

P1100263.JPG

Nice to see they swapped the terminal protector flaps over to the new battery too. I would expect this to be done but wouldn't have been particularly surprised to have had to ask.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Excellent stuff, I always find that dealerships anyway, tend to "open" these covers up when they need access to the battery posts - I prefer to lift them off!

Bulge, yes, not good, I can see it okay.

Plugs on batteries, I've always wondered about that as my new Bosch batteries do not have any instruction concerning them, I've forgotten if Bosch actually do fit plugs or leave the installer to poke something in to break open the appropriate vent.
Also, I've wondered if it really depends on which side it is convenient to vent it from in terms of how/where that battery is installed, also some cars including VAG ones, sometimes have a right angled fitting and flexible tube to carry away gases/liquid, I still have not found out what happens with my wife's Polo, but I can check up on that, my 2011 S4 has its battery in the boot, so has a vent tube exiting the boot floor.

This is just another of these maybe to some small things that you wish that you had taken into consideration prior to getting a battery changed, luckily for me, I can avoid that by examining both the old and new batteries side by side as this issue had already reared its heads in my "what if" section of my brain!

Reactions: Crossthreaded

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Okay, on the original Exide VAG EFB in my wife's 2015 VW Polo, there is a "hint" of a vent hole at both ends of the casing, the side nearest the engine has the potential vent point unbroken, and the the side towards the wing has the hole broken open, or "picked off". Obviously Varta's version of this is a plug which is either left where it is now, which makes sense as these batteries of that P/N will maybe always get fitted in that "way" which means that the other vent point is by default left open. I looked at the new Bosch batteries, and both vent points are "open", but the storage/transit covers that protect the battery posts have a single "break off" plug that looks like it should be broken off and fitted into the vent that is not to allowed to vent - if that makes any sense.

So, I'm coming from maybe a point of over thinking this, as maybe you are too - better to be safe than sorry though, and initially considering that both vent points on new Bosch batteries were sealed from the factory, and when the battery is put into use, the fitter simply pokes something into one side to "open it up" and if required fit a vent tube - when in reality, all these batteries will come from the supplier with both vents opened and a vent plug provided to close off the one that is not required, or maybe even as I suggested earlier, your battery having a small range of fitments into VAG cars, it possibly came with the vent plug already in the correct side.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crossthreaded

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
Excellent stuff, I always find that dealerships anyway, tend to "open" these covers up when they need access to the battery posts - I prefer to lift them off!

Bulge, yes, not good, I can see it okay.

Plugs on batteries, I've always wondered about that as my new Bosch batteries do not have any instruction concerning them, I've forgotten if Bosch actually do fit plugs or leave the installer to poke something in to break open the appropriate vent.
Also, I've wondered if it really depends on which side it is convenient to vent it from in terms of how/where that battery is installed, also some cars including VAG ones, sometimes have a right angled fitting and flexible tube to carry away gases/liquid, I still have not found out what happens with my wife's Polo, but I can check up on that, my 2011 S4 has its battery in the boot, so has a vent tube exiting the boot floor.

This is just another of these maybe to some small things that you wish that you had taken into consideration prior to getting a battery changed, luckily for me, I can avoid that by examining both the old and new batteries side by side as this issue had already reared its heads in my "what if" section of my brain!
Yes RUM, I notice that mine now look like "half cocked" wings. Previous to this they lay flat over the terminals, probably because, like you I prefer to just pull them off if I require access. I wonder if they would respond to being removed and then reverse bent, kind of "over centre" if you know what I mean, so they end up flat again - knowing my luck they'll probably crack along the fold line and I'll end up standing there thinking "B****r, wish I hadn't tried that"!

I think I've been very lucky not to have been stranded somewhere - bet it would have been a time limited car park knowing my luck - with a non starter. The old battery's voltage had been steadily dropping each day after standing for a couple of hours to let the surface charge on the plates dissipate after being on the CTEK. The reading on the last morning, taken just before I set off for the garage was flickering between 11.9 and 12 volts on my multimeter. If I hadn't had her on the CTEK every day I think I'd have had a "fail to start" probably last weekend.

Although I'd thought she cranked over pretty well with the old battery, she now cranks like she's been on a course of steroids and fires up almost instantaneously - a very noticeable improvement. I had quite a chat with the chap at Croyde and said what a bore it is to have to do this coding procedure. I mentioned I have VAG-COM (VCDS) and that there is a lot of conversation about how you can initialize non BEM coded batteries by changing the serial number of the battery in adaptions. He seemed quite aware of this and said, as I expected him to, that they've come across people who have tried this (or had a battery fitted by a non VAG garage who tried to do it) but were unsuccessful and had had to come to them to get the mess sorted out. - Which presumably would mean a new BEM coded VAG battery having to be purchased? - I've mentioned before that one of the owners of AVW is married to a very good friend's daughter and in fact lives not half a mile away from us. Of late, with Paul now in charge of their reception, it's not so common to find workshop people in the reception area so less easy to ask a technical question of someone "in the know" when you walk in - but much more time productive for them I'm sure, so I'm not "knocking" them. Very few workshops encourage customer contact with their mechanics. I'm just a little too reluctant to actually go round and knock on his front door, but I might ask our friend if he would ask the chap whether he would mind having a conversation with me about using VAG-COM to do this. I'm sure he would know definitively whether it's possible or even advisable to attempt this. If I ever get to speak to him about it I'll let you know the outcome - maybe via a PM as I wouldn't want to cause him embarrassment by posting in an open thread.

Forgot to mention by the way, that they - the garage in Croyde - seem also to have done a quick "health check" and check for any outstanding software updates while she was there FOC. They detailed that the check had been done and all systems found to be up to date on my reciept. As I'm now doing my own servicing she hasn't been checked for this sort of thing since her last dealer service when her warranty ran out some 3 years ago, so that's been a very welcome wee bonus!

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
Okay, on the original Exide VAG EFB in my wife's 2015 VW Polo, there is a "hint" of a vent hole at both ends of the casing, the side nearest the engine has the potential vent point unbroken, and the the side towards the wing has the hole broken open, or "picked off". Obviously Varta's version of this is a plug which is either left where it is now, which makes sense as these batteries of that P/N will maybe always get fitted in that "way" which means that the other vent point is by default left open. I looked at the new Bosch batteries, and both vent points are "open", by the storage/transit covers that protect the battery posts have a single "break off" plug that looks like it should be broken off and fitted into the vent that is not to allowed to vent - if that makes any sense.

So, I'm coming from maybe a point of over thinking this, as maybe you are too - better to be safe than sorry though, and initially considering that both vent points on new Bosch batteries were sealed from the factory, and when the battery is put into use, the fitter simply pokes something into one side to "open it up" and if required fit a vent tube - when in reality, all these batteries will come from the supplier with both vents opened and a vent plug provided to close off the one that is not required, or maybe even as I suggested earlier, your battery having a small range of fitments into VAG cars, it possibly came with the vent plug already in the correct side.
Thanks RUM. I actually emailed Chris, the chap at the garage, last night but have not yet had a reply. It's now just after 11.30 am and, as their workshop will probably be closed tomorrow and we are intending to set of home first thing Sunday, I'm just going to make a small "nuisance" of myself and give him a quick ring right now - I'll be back on here very shortly to let you know the outcome.

Last edited:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
The "flexible" battery post covers, I'm lucky that I keep both cars in a garage, so what I'd do if I need to "flatten them down" would be to, just after returning from a run, open the bonnet and place a suitable block of wood on each one and leave it there overnight, alternatively, I tend to use the top of the gas central heating boiler for warming things up or drying this off, maybe a day or of that would allow it to "relax" and recover near enough its original shape.

I've read that proper VAG Indies will only ever supply and fit Varta batteries, and typically genuine VW Group branded ones, this being due to less hassle if things go wrong. I think even with the best/honest main dealer and marque Indie techs, you would get the same answer, just this separation that trades like to have from customers.

This time that I went into AVW, the outer/front reception desk was being used and it was a heavyish guy that wore glasses that attended to me.

When you were checking the voltage, was it at the "ciggy lighter" or across the battery under the bonnet? The voltage inside the car always seems a bit lower than at the battery when the engine is not running, I've found, plus there will now be a load across the battery as the ignition is on, I like to check while still in the garage and the bonnet has been open over night and so all controllers have gone to sleep, but either way seeing a reducing/lowering voltage under any conditions as the days went on is always pointing to the same thing, ie "dying battery" or similar.
Maybe this experience you have just had at a bad time will be enough to get me moving with respect to fitting this battery that I have for that car - first it needs its subframe fittings and alignment sorting out!

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
The "flexible" battery post covers, I'm lucky that I keep both cars in a garage, so what I'd do if I need to "flatten them down" would be to, just after returning from a run, open the bonnet and place a suitable block of wood on each one and leave it there overnight, alternatively, I tend to use the top of the gas central heating boiler for warming things up or drying this off, maybe a day or of that would allow it to "relax" and recover near enough its original shape.

I've read that proper VAG Indies will only ever supply and fit Varta batteries, and typically genuine VW Group branded ones, this being due to less hassle if things go wrong. I think even with the best/honest main dealer and marque Indie techs, you would get the same answer, just this separation that trades like to have from customers.

This time that I went into AVW, the outer/front reception desk was being used and it was a heavyish guy that wore glasses that attended to me.

When you were checking the voltage, was it at the "ciggy lighter" or across the battery under the bonnet? The voltage inside the car always seems a bit lower than at the battery when the engine is not running, I've found, plus there will now be a load across the battery as the ignition is on, I like to check while still in the garage and the bonnet has been open over night and so all controllers have gone to sleep, but either way seeing a reducing/lowering voltage under any conditions as the days went on is always pointing to the same thing, ie "dying battery" or similar.
Maybe this experience you have just had at a bad time will be enough to get me moving with respect to fitting this battery that I have for that car - first it needs its subframe fittings and alignment sorting out!
Unfortunately I have so much "useful" stuff in my garage that it's been years since I was able to get a car into it! However I like your idea of putting the post covers on top of the hot water tank (no "silly" combie boilers for us!) and seeing if they flatten out on their own. Even if they don't they will then be more malleable so less likely to snap off?

Varta? Yes that's what was supplied to me by the Croyde folk complete with a prominent "Volkswagen Group" sticker on the same label where the BEM code is displayed. Your experience with the Indy battery recommendation is the same as mine. I approached AVW of course, but also got quotes from Autohaus out at loanhead and Mackinnon at Abbeyhill. All saying they would fit a genuine VAG battery - want to bet they get them from TPS? - and all very similarly priced although AVW was cheapest all in price by a few quid.

That chap you describe on the front desk at AVW sounds like the chap I mentioned. I've been used to walking through to the workshop and speaking to Alan or Keith - sometimes one of them would be in that reception area anyway - so I'm not quite so happy now with dealing with someone I don't "know". However most workshops are arranged like this to stop people like me "bothering" the hard working mechanics so it's probably more efficient like this. I might just try sneaking in the yard entrance and going direct into the workshop next time I want advice - rather than simply booking in for work to be done where reception will be fine. If they don't like me doing this I'm sure I'll be told quickly enough and I would understand and not take offence

I was checking voltages, with all doors closed and no key in the ignition, directly on the lead battery posts themselves - I've learned in the past you get accurate battery readings this way. I'm reluctant even to probe on the clamps unless I'm looking for the possibility of a high resistance at a connection. There is always the possibility of something still pulling a small current but I suspect (hope) it will be pretty insignificant if I've shut down everything I reasonably can.

If you are suspecting your battery then it might be advisable to do something about it soon as mine did catch me out. I've known for months that it was "ailing" but it's been soldiering on with little outward signs that it's demise was imminent. Then, just since last Friday, it suddenly took a nose dive and I'd have been in trouble if I hadn't had the charger with me being as how we are in the back of beyond up here in the hills behind Barnstaple not far from the moor.

Oh, there you go. Chris - from the garage - just rang. Yes that wee white plug is a vent plug, and yes the one facing the engine should remain installed in it's hole with the one facing the wing being removed - exactly as they have done. The thinking is that any gasses (hydrogen and oxygen of course) will be vented not towards the hot engine parts but towards the relatively cool inner wing thus reducing any possible fire/explosion risk. All very logical when you think about it. I must say again what a nice chap he is to deal with. I apologised for using up his time with such a mundane query but he assured me it was no waste of his time if it meant I was happy with their service. I continue to be most pleasantly impressed with this dealer.

Just my normal vehicle checks to do now - tyre condition and pressures, oil, coolant, brake fluid levels, wiper blades, rain due Sunday I believe? etc, etc - and help my better half with the packing because she suffers chronic back pain, and then we'll be ready for the off. Intending to take sister in law out for a nice meal tonight as a thank you for putting up with us for the last week or so. Better half beginning to worry about what sort of a state the house is going to have been left in after nearly 3 weeks of occupation by my older boy and his family. I don't know what she's worrying about, my boy is just about to turn 50 and his wife is of a similar age and they only have the one boy who is very steady and a lovely child. They are not wild teenagers. The house will be fine. Wouldn't be surprised to find it hoovered throughout with a box of fancy chocolates sitting on the kitchen worktop as a thank you!

Kindest regards to you RUM and stay safe

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
Sorry if I'm straying a little from the thread subject but, as I'd mentioned this above I thought I'd just round it off here. We gave my wife's Sister free reign as to where she'd like to go for her meal and, to my surprise, she chose Table Table at Barum Gate, which is on the other side of Barbstaple from where she lives, so not too bad to get to. Apparently they make a very good shepherds pie which she is very partial to! We've taken the grandchildren to our local Table Table on the A7 south near Dalkeith for their "Tea" (Scottish speak for early dinner) as a "treat" after we take them swimming most Tuesdays and it's good value everyday "grub" but I wouldn't particularly have chosen it for a "treat" However they did us proud last night. Shepherds pie for "auntie" with extra gravy! Gammon steak with all the trimmings for my Mrs and a very very tasty chicken curry with 2 poppadoms and mango chutney for me. I don't drink alcohol any more (tummy op a few years ago put paid to that) so the girls had a nice bottle of wine between them and we had a lovely time. We think we might now actually stop off at the Dalkieth one when we've been doing childminding duties out at either of our boy's homes which are south of the city in that general area instead of making an evening meal when we get home and are tired from having the children all day.

Their local Tesco is just a couple of minutes, across the roundabout, from the restaurant so, with my tank nearly empty, I stopped there to fill the tank with fuel ready for an early start Sunday as we're going nowhere today, just sitting in the peace and quiet of the countryside listening to the blackbirds, cows and sheep - sheer bliss to a boy who was brought up in the Scottish border country! £1.59.9 per litre, which I thought was not too bad at this time. Gives the credit card quite a beating for a tankful though!

The new battery, by the way, is behaving impeccably. She cranks over so willingly and Stop/Start showing as available before I've even reached the turning onto the main road from my wife's sister's house. I'll have to start remembering to turn it off again after start up now!

So folks, keep your fingers crossed for us on the M5/M6 tomorrow and especially their all lane running sections - which give me the heebie jeebies - and pray we don't run into any humongous traffic jams!

Last edited:

vw.man

Apr 17, 2020
I've just ordered and received a new Bosch EFB battery for my 2014 Toledo, and the warning on the case is pretty clear - see the photo attached. I've removed the bungs - they were red.

Attachments

• 20220423 Battery.jpg
    20220423 Battery.jpg
    329 KB · Views: 442

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Their local Tesco is just a couple of minutes, across the roundabout, from the restaurant so, with my tank nearly empty, I stopped there to fill the tank with fuel ready for an early start Sunday as we're going nowhere today, just sitting in the peace and quiet of the countryside listening to the blackbirds, cows and sheep - sheer bliss to a boy who was brought up in the Scottish border country! £1.59.9 per litre, which I thought was not too bad at this time. Gives the credit card quite a beating for a tankful though!

The new battery, by the way, is behaving impeccably. She cranks over so willingly and Stop/Start showing as available before I've even reached the turning onto the main road from my wife's sister's house. I'll have to start remembering to turn it off again after start up now!

So folks, keep your fingers crossed for us on the M5/M6 tomorrow and especially their all lane running sections - which give me the heebie jeebies - and pray we don't run into any humongous traffic jams!
Too late for you to read, but good luck, I don't remember the M6>M5 merge/change area from going North, but it used to be a bit nasty going South.

Surely you'll stop off at Tebay services for a splash and dash, or some good food, I used to celebrate getting to the Lakes going North by turning off and driving through the Lakes and back on the M6 higher up, crazy maybe, but relaxing after the stop/go motorway traffic, any excuse for me to visit the Lakes is okay by me, it is the tourists that spoil that area!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I've just ordered and received a new Bosch EFB battery for my 2014 Toledo, and the warning on the case is pretty clear - see the photo attached. I've removed the bungs - they were red.
That is handy, but a bit strange as my new Bosch AGM for the 2015 Polo 1.2TSI, bought in December 2021 has nothing like that on it. That battery you have might have 2 transport plug fitted, but it still has another one as part of the +VE post protective cover.

I would have thought that fitting transport plugs to a battery is a bit risky unless you could 100% control the temperature - unless your seller fits their own plugs and that label, which would explain why my 2 new Bosch AGM batteries and all previous new Bosch batteries came with open vents.

By the wording of your posting, I'm guessing that that battery was delivered by courier and not collected at a shop/store.

Edit:- I'd think that I'm being spot on there, both these extra labels are not Bosch's, added by seller.