Wading depth

Karbonfaiba

Jul 9, 2023
Hampshire, UK
Technically; the distance from the floor to the air intake.

Sensibility; the distance from the floor to the bottom of the air intake box or roughly no more than 1/2 the height of the wheels.

If the water level is even deeper than that, maybe approx. up to 3/4 wheel height is the absolute max ( I'd guess on the Formentor - just because it's raised a little ) you should be crawling forward, driving at a slow consistent speed behind the bow wave.

The key point is even if the water level isn't that high, driving at a speed whereby the water rushes over the top of the bonnet is a hydro-locking death sentence for most cars.

Reactions: Wyld Stallyn

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Technically; the distance from the floor to the air intake.

Sensibility; the distance from the floor to the bottom of the air intake box or roughly no more than 1/2 the height of the wheels.

If the water level is even deeper than that, maybe approx. up to 3/4 wheel height is the absolute max ( I'd guess on the Formentor - just because it's raised a little ) you should be crawling forward, driving at a slow consistent speed behind the bow wave.

The key point is even if the water level isn't that high, driving at a speed whereby the water rushes over the top of the bonnet is a hydro-locking death sentence for most cars.
And hope no one coming the other way too fast does not create a wave which the floods your car, like happened to my mate a few years back.

• Wow
Reactions: Karbonfaiba
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.