Want opinions on the mk3 to mk4

Mohamed emarah

Mar 27, 2019
Egypt
So I have an mk3 that I've done about 20k km in , it's basically an fr model with a couple of missing features like ambient lighting ,parking cameras and sensors, that's because in Egypt we receive lower spec cars . It has the 1.4 engine with 150hp that I'm going to tune to about 200hp soon enough which I find very punchy and fun to drive. Looks wise I retrofitted the cupra front bumper, spoiler, lowered the car , retrofitted the oem ambient lights and a couple of tweaks here and there so the car looks amazing in my opinion and drives really well , then the mk4 got showcased and my intial thoughts are that I hate the rear end but the front end is different in my opinion so it's not better or worse . I don't know if I should sell my mk3 in anticipation of the mk4 after I spent alot of time tailoring my car to how I like it ,I spiced up the interior with leather seats when I originally had fabric ones and retrofitted ambient lights so I'm contemplating what to do . Keep in mind the mk4 won't be released in Egypt before jan 2021 and will probably have lower specs than the one showcased and there are rumours that its going to be offered in only the 110hp version. I just don't want to be looking at the mk4 when it gets released and feel jealous if you know what I mean .Any opinions would be highly appreciated!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200204-161624_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200204-161624_Gallery.jpg
    857 KB · Views: 140
  • Screenshot_20200204-161613_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200204-161613_Gallery.jpg
    766.1 KB · Views: 137
  • Screenshot_20200204-161531_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200204-161531_Gallery.jpg
    939.1 KB · Views: 142
  • Screenshot_20200204-161523_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200204-161523_Gallery.jpg
    816.2 KB · Views: 140
  • Screenshot_20200204-161450_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200204-161450_Gallery.jpg
    676.2 KB · Views: 149
  • Screenshot_20200204-161440_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200204-161440_Gallery.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 135
Last edited:

jack rush

Jan 16, 2019
If you enjoy your car and love how it looks then why "upgrade" to a mk4? Don't think of it like a phone where your model is outdated when a new model comes out. You've spend money on getting the car how you like it, you'll likely have to re-spend that money on the mk4.

I'm 3 weeks away from receiving my new Cupra, knowing full well there's a new model on the horizon - just enjoy it for what it is.

Personally I think your mk3 looks better than the upcoming mk4.

Mohamed emarah

Mar 27, 2019
Egypt
If you enjoy your car and love how it looks then why "upgrade" to a mk4? Don't think of it like a phone where your model is outdated when a new model comes out. You've spend money on getting the car how you like it, you'll likely have to re-spend that money on the mk4.

I'm 3 weeks away from receiving my new Cupra, knowing full well there's a new model on the horizon - just enjoy it for what it is.

Personally I think your mk3 looks better than the upcoming mk4.
I really prefer the current mk3 to the upcoming mk4 same as you but I'm worried I'll feel like mine is outdated(even though it's probably not it was the latest batch of the mk3) when I see the mk4 on the streets which is driving me to think of upgrading to the mk4. That's the only reason making me think about changing.

jack rush

Jan 16, 2019
I really prefer the current mk3 to the upcoming mk4 same as you but I'm worried I'll feel like mine is outdated(even though it's probably not it was the latest batch of the mk3) when I see the mk4 on the streets which is driving me to think of upgrading to the mk4. That's the only reason making me think about changing.

If what you said is correct about only getting the 110bhp mk4 in Egypt, you won't feel jealous when you're outstripping them all at the lights!

Reactions: Mohamed emarah

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
@Mohamed emarah; I’d always resist buying one of the first examples of a new model. There are usually some teething issues that might not have been detected or occurred during Seat’s testing of the mk4. I wouldn’t want to become an unpaid test driver of the mk4 for Seat and identify these teething issues, and then have the hassle of getting them fixed, or Seat saying they don’t have an E.T.A. for the fix yet but are working on it.

I drive a previous generation VW that will be four years old next month and I’ve owned it from new. Do I feel jealous or envious of people who bought an early example of the latest model? Not at all; let them experience the initial niggles and get VW to fix the niggles and incorporate the fixes into production models, and then I’ll consider whether the time is right for me to change.

From the changes / modifications you’ve made to your car, it sounds as if you’ve invested quite a lot of money in it. In your position, I’d be keeping it long enough to get the benefit and enjoyment out of work you’ve done or had done.

Also worth having a look in the mk4 section at the discussion thread at the link below;

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/seat-have-ruined-the-leon.458673/

CupraGeezer

May 11, 2018
You seem to like your Mk.3 and you're almost certain to lose the money you've spent on the modifications if you sell it. I'd be looking to keep it and enjoy it if I were you.

So far as the Mk.4 is concerned, please bear in mind no one has driven it yet and very, very few people have seen it in the flesh.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise