Wanting a Mk2 Ibiza Cupra

mcchriswood

Aug 8, 2009
Hi guys. New here so thought i'd say hello here.
I'm currently driving a Mk2 Golf GTI 1.8 8v and have decided i need something with a bit more power. I regret not getting the 16v but alot i looked at had been thrashed around.
Im here now because i have decided the next car i want is a Seat Ibiza Cupra 2.0 16v GTI i think its pre 2000 isn't it.
Going to post a p/x and or for sale thread when possible and hopefully in the next few weeks be the proud owner of a ibiza cupra
What sort of power do they have?? I think i read it was 150bhp
Thanks
Chrissy

jase874

helo, im new too, ive just bought myself the same car your after, found one in red, 70,000 miles, T reg (99) £2,200. was very lucky really as i think they're quite rare but hope you find one soon.
150bhp is correct, i went from a 90bhp diesel golf and its a huge difference!
doesn't role in the corners half as bad as the golf did too

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
yep mate, well it was 150bhp they stated, but they did underestimate it, so some had like 160bhp!

it's such great fun mate! revs like no ones business (i say to people mine has VAG-Tec, as it screams past 4k rpm! lol)

make sure you don't get a dud, as they were quick (like any quick car) people can thrash it without looking after it, look for the dreading clutch pedal (do a search on here), check gears are not crunching, check rear arches for rust, check engine for oil leaks (any air sound leaks too) and check the seams all round for cracks/rust

make sure you check your pants after you get it going quick! haha

mcchriswood

Aug 8, 2009
bought one. 1997 2ltr gti 16v. In silver. 425 quid 9 months MOT. not great condition but perfect for what i wanted. piotential sleeper. getting dropped off in the morning. Hope its as quick as i'm expecting compared to my mk2 golf 8v. Acceleratuion wise that is
Chris

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
bought one. 1997 2ltr gti 16v. In silver. 425 quid 9 months MOT. not great condition but perfect for what i wanted. piotential sleeper. getting dropped off in the morning. Hope its as quick as i'm expecting compared to my mk2 golf 8v. Acceleratuion wise that is
Chris

excellent, at that price it might have been neglected, 1st thing to do is oil change, filters all round, and some sparks/ht leads and you'll see alot of difference!

it's quick, lets put it that way!
3500rpm onwards its mad, i call it VAG-Tec hahaha

mcchriswood

Aug 8, 2009
got ti nowe. And yes its quick. Wheelspins OUT of first. Great little pocket rocket for beating the boy racers in. So whats the first thigns to do exactly. Completely standard so never been neglected in that way but body needs a little tidy up etc. Engine sounds a tad tappety.
What oil do you guys use?? Whats first thigns to do then
Chris

mcchriswood

Aug 8, 2009
Guys - what will a noisy waterpump sound like??
Plans for weekend are waterpump and cambelt change and full service
Chris

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
got ti nowe. And yes its quick. Wheelspins OUT of first. Great little pocket rocket for beating the boy racers in. So whats the first thigns to do exactly. Completely standard so never been neglected in that way but body needs a little tidy up etc. Engine sounds a tad tappety.
What oil do you guys use?? Whats first thigns to do then
Chris

just do what i said above!

most these engines are a bit tappety, but they are 12years old, what you expect!

mcchriswood

Aug 8, 2009
well my golf was 23 years old and wasn't that tappety so i know what to expect. Im basically trying to weigh up the options of whether to have the waterpump and cambelt done. What would a noisy waterpump sound like??
And how much would a vag dealership charge for the cambelt and waterpump to be done
Chris

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
well my golf was 23 years old and wasn't that tappety so i know what to expect. Im basically trying to weigh up the options of whether to have the waterpump and cambelt done. What would a noisy waterpump sound like??
And how much would a vag dealership charge for the cambelt and waterpump to be done
Chris

they would charge the amount you paid for your car lol :cartman:

mcchriswood

Aug 8, 2009
lol i'll get it done privately. got a quote of 200. Thought vag might only ask 250 or something though at which id take them up on it.
Chris

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
you might aswell get some quotes mate, you never know, i think they will overprice, but you might find a good dealer!

mcchriswood

Aug 8, 2009
Thanks suj i'll shop around. rather be safe than sorry. I HONESTLY can't see myself ever buying anything other than seats now. Ive had a punto GT which was quick. saxo vts golf gti's but this is something else. Pulls hard and is built well. Im just worried to give it any stick as it has done 114k miles.
Chris

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
yeah mate? i heard the punto's were quick, but unreliable?

don't worry, the engines if treated right are built like tanks mate!

Grayboy

Jan 31, 2005
Beckenham
These things are brilliant, my mate had one back in 2000 and I was hooked, I'm now on my second (although it's been stored for 18 months) as it's everything you could want from a little hot hatch, solid, fast and they are sleepers as no-one really knows what they are so you can blow people away when they think they are racing a 1.4 away from the lights.

Cambelts last a max of 60K so get it done, also plan to change the lower pulley whilst your at it as these tend to fall apart.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members