What is this front body fitting and how important is it

Westindieman

Sep 4, 2016
I noticed this missing from my car and can only presume it has been removed as I cant see how it can have just fallen off. How important is it and what is the replacement called?

IMG_20240411_115136.jpg

CosmicBlue

Enjoying retirement
Nov 25, 2023
Warwick, UK
And...if they are fitted I believe the current MOT regs say that they have to work if the headlamp is sticking out more than 2000 lumens - so getting it fixed probably isn't optional.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Is part of the spray head assembly not missing as well? From memory, the high pressure headlights washer pump, jacks up the spray head and when it has reached the top of its travel, it allows the washer fluid to spray out the spray head and onto the headlight assembly - what is showing there, to me, and I've seen a couple pf so of them, is the open end of the "jacking cylinder" - the spray head should be fitted to the top of that, and the hinged cover flap is fixed to the bumper cover and gets pushed up when the washer spray head extends.

Edit:- maybe in this version, the cover flap is mounted onto the spray head and not the bumper cover, either way you will need to check just how much is now missing.

Westindieman

Sep 4, 2016
Is part of the spray head assembly not missing as well? From memory, the high pressure headlights washer pump, jacks up the spray head and when it has reached the top of its travel, it allows the washer fluid to spray out the spray head and onto the headlight assembly - what is showing there, to me, and I've seen a couple pf so of them, is the open end of the "jacking cylinder" - the spray head should be fitted to the top of that, and the hinged cover flap is fixed to the bumper cover and gets pushed up when the washer spray head extends.

Edit:- maybe in this version, the cover flap is mounted onto the spray head and not the bumper cover, either way you will need to check just how much is now missing.

Thanks guys. Something is missing off there, would you agree its likely to have been lifted?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Well yes your car needs a trim cover for that headlight washer spray head - but I think that it also now needs a spray head, if you look very closely at the section from the workshop manual, you should be able to see where the top spray head/piston, that this trim cover clips onto, is fitted down onto the upright fixed open end of the barrel that is still fitted or left on your car.

Westindieman

Sep 4, 2016
Well yes your car needs a trim cover for that headlight washer spray head - but I think that it also now needs a spray head, if you look very closely at the section from the workshop manual, you should be able to see where the top spray head/piston, that this trim cover clips onto, is fitted down onto the upright fixed open end of the barrel that is still fitted or left on your car.
Ive just watched a youtube clip and must say I never knew about those headlight washers, never used them.