What sort of mileage would put you off?

Aug 2, 2009
North Lincs
I'm currently looking at buying a 225 LCR and most of the ones in my price range seem to be +90,000.

For example one i had seen was about perfect but had 97k on it and it was only an 05 plate!

Would this put YOU off?

Last edited:

turbo009

Red Lightning
Jun 15, 2008
Grimsby North East Lincs
You mean a 225r If millage was that high it wouldn't put me off. Long its got good service history with prove and the price its going for.

97k is sod all if been serviced regular it would do that again almost

danny20vt

going back to basics
97k on an 05 is a little high but if you only do 6k a year or less, eventually it will come into line with its age although high mileage is nothing to worry about as long as its been serviced and looked after correctly, this is coming from someone with a 2000/X 1.8t sport (early Cupra) with 142k and counting and running as sweet as a nut

Aug 2, 2009
North Lincs
Yeh i meant 225, sorry. Edited post now!

The one i mentioned above has FSSH. I just cant believe an 05 plate can have that sort of miles on it. The good thing is i dont do many miles so over the years it would level out a bit.

What sort of things would you expect to have been done on a car of this age? (cambelt,etc)

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
If it's got that many miles in such a short period of time, it's most likely to be motorway miles. Although this is usually good news in terms of wear and tear (no stop/start, few corners etc) you'll probably find quite a lot of paintwork blemishes with stonechips, small dents etc.

One of the guys at work has an LCR with 95k on clock. It's not in too bad condition - but I'd like a little better if it was my car.

Rarpuc

Jun 28, 2008
west of scotland
I have an 05 LCR just about to hit 82k,been serviced every 10k and just sailed through an MOT and its solid no problems what so ever in any area of the car

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
I'm currently looking at buying a 225 LCR and most of the ones in my price range seem to be +90,000.

For example one i had seen was about perfect but had 97k on it and it was only an 05 plate!

Would this put YOU off?

depends on how cheap it was

Mar 3, 2008
sunny Devon
its funny everyone still goes on the old 100k rule !!

these cars should do 250k with a turbo or 2 .... lol

so why do dealers and the public be put off to buy the 100k marc?

if i had a budget and i wanted a lcr so bad i would go for it .providing it hadnt had 18 owners,and the service history was complete.....
but be preparied to travel for one,i will be shocked if you found one with in 50miles,no chance of that down my way............

Aug 2, 2009
North Lincs
I'm looking to spend around 6 grand.

In the last 2 years I've clocked up a total of just less than 10k miles, so over time the mileage should level out a bit.

After how many miles do the turbos usually go? And how much to replace?

And yeh, I am definately willing to travel for the right car.

Robbie Romero

Mar 4, 2008
Hi,

Mine has done 146K, its old though. 2001 model. At least 100K of that is pure motorway mileage.

I wouldn't worry about mileage on these aluminium engines, there hard as nuts!

Its all the other 'little' things you need to check before buying.

DJ-LIAMC

VAGisclean
May 31, 2009
Loughborough
got mine for £5300 2 months ago 03 plate lcr, done 69,000, good cond, make sure when you test drive it you check gear changes are not chunching (hi revs) cos high miles may cause this. Happened to me.

wags

Millage wouldn't put me off as just bought one with 91000miles on the clock full history in colour i wanted and put in for MOT and passed first time.

sheario

I just cant believe an 05 plate can have that sort of miles on it.

One of the vans at work is an 07 plate, clocked circa 143k lol, thats some mega miles!

My 55 plate FR+ has got 67k on it, and everything is as new, it has sat in 6th all its life.

Mar 3, 2009
Hinckley
I'm looking to spend around 6 grand.

In the last 2 years I've clocked up a total of just less than 10k miles, so over time the mileage should level out a bit.

After how many miles do the turbos usually go? And how much to replace?

And yeh, I am definately willing to travel for the right car.

i picked mine up for 6.4k 76k on it on an 04 plate so you will find one decent enough for the price just be patient

bombheads12

Apr 21, 2009
helston uk
its funny everyone still goes on the old 100k rule !!

these cars should do 250k with a turbo or 2 .... lol

so why do dealers and the public be put off to buy the 100k marc?

If these things go through 2 turbos in 250k or 1 per 125k my answer DONT TOUCH WITH A BARGEPOLE! they aren't cheap £1000 and with time these will become rare items and dearer! be warned.
I have ran 4 diesels before and NO turbo replacements one vehicle had 199,500 miles on it and the turbo was still doing good service!

Three Leons

May 18, 2007
Wakefield
Even though I know they're good for 100k plus, psychologically I guess it's just a feeling that it's a 'weathered' car. I had that with my old LC - bought it on 80k and was always dreading it getting closer to the 100k mark (and sold it soon afterwards to someone who wasn't bothered by it). Must be something about a car with 'normal' miles on it that some people feel more comfortable with. And as someone else mentioned - regardless of whether miles is really an issue or not, once up over 130-140k mark the resale value will plummet so you have to factor that in.

In any case, Mashburn - I got my 04 LCR last week for £6.5k - 57k miles and very good nick so with your budget of £6k you should be able to find one way under 90k miles - just make sure the cambelt's been done :)

Aug 2, 2009
North Lincs
Thanks for all the replys.

I think i'm gunna hold out for one with less miles. I might be in for a long wait though as i only want a red one!!!