Wheel bearing issue. Or not.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
The bolts with the ribbed / serrated clamping face are 70Nm + 90°

200Nm + 180° is for the bolts without the serrated clamping face
The three triple square bolts (M12 XZN) holding the bearing carrier are 70Nm + 90degs. These have conical/smooth seats. These were fine.

The single large drive shaft bolt has the 200+180deg spec which I struggled with. The bolt which came out had a smooth clamping face - the bolt which came with my bearings had a serrated face.

Or are you saying there is two torque specs for the large drive shaft bolt depending on the clamping face?

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
Or are you saying there is two torque specs for the large drive shaft bolt depending on the clamping face?

Correct.

In addition to the serrated clamping face they are different tensile strengths and therefore have different torque specs. The serrated ones are 10.9 and the non-serrated ones are 8.8

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Correct.

In addition to the serrated clamping face they are different tensile strengths and therefore have different torque specs. The serrated ones are 10.9 and the non-serrated ones are 8.8
That's really interesting, thanks for sharing.

Can you share you source? The Seat manual I have doesn't mention the 70Nm + 90deg.

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
It's covered in the service manuals for the PQ35 cars... Mk5 / 6 Golf, Mk2 Leon, etc.. as there were a total of 3 different bolt versions used during production for those cars.

o651bpP.png

I don’t know if Seat actually ever used the serrated version on the Mk3 Leon themselves or if they only used the non-serrated one. It does seem looking at part number supersessions that VAG did fully move over to the non-serrated ones at some point. The same non-serrated bolt is now listed for the Mk2 and Mk3 Leons, and equivalent models from other brands.

Since all the VAG service manuals are written for use in their own workshops where the ETKA listed spare parts will be used there would be no reason to mention the serrated ones in the service manual if they were never used on the Mk3 Leon.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
It's covered in the service manuals for the PQ35 cars... Mk5 / 6 Golf, Mk2 Leon, etc.. as there were a total of 3 different bolt versions used during production for those cars.

View attachment 27011

I don’t know if Seat actually ever used the serrated version on the Mk3 Leon themselves or if they only used the non-serrated one. It does seem looking at part number supersessions that VAG did fully move over to the non-serrated ones at some point. The same non-serrated bolt is now listed for the Mk2 and Mk3 Leons, and equivalent models from other brands.

Since all the VAG service manuals are written for use in their own workshops where the ETKA listed spare parts will be used there would be no reason to mention the serrated ones in the service manual if they were never used on the Mk3 Leon.
Awesome, thanks for sharing.

Swaitsy

Aug 1, 2021
Darkest Struan
Reviving this thread just with an update. (The joys of working offshore means there's a large delay between finding a problem and getting the ball rolling on it).

So went back to the dealer with the mystery whirring noise. Twice. After changing the nearside front bearing, which did nothing, they took it in again and test drove it. Having determined it could have been a bearing before, which resulted in them changing one, they were now adamant it was definitely not a bearing nor was it a characteristic of a worn bearing. 🤷‍♂️

So, back to the drawing board. Though I'm convinced that's what's causing the noise I can't get them to change it. (Still poiting the finger and the offside front). Having had a good read through the previous comments in the thread I think I'm just going to do it myself.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Go for it, both myself and SuperV8 have done it and can offer advice if you need it.
After doing 3! I now consider myself an expert :p
It's straight forward enough - just need a couple of tools your average socket set won't have and a torque wrench.

Swaitsy

Aug 1, 2021
Darkest Struan
Appreciate the help/info from you both already. I'd like to get it done before Christmas if spare cash will allow for the parts. If so I'll keep you informed 👌🏻

Woody_72

May 10, 2020
Northwest England
And got the love of god, don't pay dealer price! I was quoted £165 a wheel just for the bearings. I ended up buying SKF bearings from Autodoc for about £85 a side.

Reactions: Swaitsy

Junaidd

Feb 4, 2022
Hi all…I have the same problem but I hear it at 70 to 75mph then it goes booked in this Saturday let’s see what they say it will be

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Hi all…I have the same problem but I hear it at 70 to 75mph then it goes booked in this Saturday let’s see what they say it will be
My bearing issue wasn't detectable by any play or roughness in the wheel or hub. Even when I had the old ones off they felt ok in the hand.
I was unsure if it was bearings or tyres, the noise I had was a harmonic whump whump which I could only notice above 70. If you asked my partner I bet she wouldn't have heard it. One day I had my window open as I slowly turned into my road and I noticed a feint squeak from the brake when I steered - which went away when I straightened up and was repeatable. This had to be bearings as the side load on the bearing made the brake disc run out of true. Very feint noise - I didn't hear it with the windows up.
I had to change both front bearings, changing one improved my noise but not completely.

Junaidd

Feb 4, 2022
Yh the garage told me it’s the nsf wheel bearing so changing both front ones this week hoping it goes away

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise