Wheel Hub Corrosion - Normal?

rubeck1s

Jul 15, 2022
Hi there,

Formentor - 5000 miles on the clock, 9 months old and both rear wheel hubs are corroded to **** - is this ‘normal’? Anyone with similar issue?

Only rear hubs seem to be affected - the front ones are clean. Is it something thats warranty covered? See photos ;(

Attachments

• IMG_5759.jpeg
    IMG_5759.jpeg
    607.5 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_5760.jpeg
    IMG_5760.jpeg
    595.3 KB · Views: 169

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
I've had this happen on last gen Leon and it seems to be starting on my Formentor. Yours does seem quite a bit worse than on my car.

I think it is not a warranty covered. They are just lazy and don't want to properly protect it. It's not that rare in the industry. Others may know more.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
It’s normal. It’s cast iron with a minimal layer of paint that provides very little protection so yes, it will rust. I doubt rectification of the corrosion will be covered under warranty.

The part with corrosion in the picture is actually part of the brake disc - the part that bolts onto the car’s hub assembly - rather than the actual hub itself. Corrosion on that centre section of the brake discs was very common on VW’s mk7 / mk7.5 Golf. Quite a few Golf owners on VW Golf forums removed the rust either by rubbing down or using a wire brush and then applied a couple of coats of either Hammerite or a heat resistant paint; it should last for at least 2-3 years (maybe even longer) before it needs re-doing again.

Link to a discussion thread over on vwroc.com from a few years ago with ‘before’ and ’after’ pictures where a Golf R owner repainted theirs.

Apr 27, 2023
Just picked up my 1 yr old Formentor with 6k miles at the weekend and the discs are the same. I guess its from sitting around at HQ not being used that caused the issue. My Skoda never had it at all. I have just bought some matt black high temp caliper paint and its a job I will do shortly . I am also going to ceramic coat the alloys inside and out while the wheels are off with GTechniq products to help keep them clean .

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.