Wheel wobble?!

joesmad4it

Cupra TD-aight!
Mar 11, 2008
Wickford - Essex
Further to my post about needing a new alloy due to an unfortunate serious kerbing event, I had the damaged alloy (was on front) put onto the rear, and my friend who was following me yesterday informs me it visibly shakes when driving yet I can feel no difference in handling or feel anything through steering rack.

Is this likely to do any major damage if this is true (as I am getting it replaced just really cant find anywhere cheaper the dealers for one) or will I notice if anything major wrong?

Sorry for lengthy post

Joe

Last edited:

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
If your wheel is buckled the wheel/tyre will normaly still be in ballance so no steering wheel wobble will be felt.

in order to feel the steering wheel wobble you need an out of ballance wheel/tyre or a wheel/tyre that is no longer round.

BTW buckled wheels are very dangerous and an MOT fail.

joesmad4it

Cupra TD-aight!
Mar 11, 2008
Wickford - Essex
If your wheel is buckled the wheel/tyre will normaly still be in ballance so no steering wheel wobble will be felt.

in order to feel the steering wheel wobble you need an out of ballance wheel/tyre or a wheel/tyre that is no longer round.

BTW buckled wheels are very dangerous and an MOT fail.

:( Cheers Nath sounds about right, gonna get new alloy first thing after crimbo @ dealers!

If anyone is Essex based with one (MK4 Formula Sport 16inch standard alloy) I'd be happy to do make an offer!

Merry Xmas all!

luig

Let me know how much the alloy was from the stealers......

I also had a 'mishap' and cracked one of my alloys, and 4 months of searching online later still no joy......

Its the same one your after......

mgrays

Dec 9, 2006
Aberdeen
A year ago new 17" Cupra rims were £240 from stealer. Keep the alloy .. some folk will repair them for £60 excluding paint (no paint required if it is on the inside rim).

Nick_A

Not a newie really
Oct 2, 2007
Hertfordshire
You could have something more serious if your incident with the kerb was high impact enough.

I didn't buckle my wheel - but instead i bent my hub and a suspension arm (i think thats what it was) on the front drivers side plus it needed the tracking redoing.

Does the vech pull to the left or right as mine did majorly.

joesmad4it

Cupra TD-aight!
Mar 11, 2008
Wickford - Essex
You could have something more serious if your incident with the kerb was high impact enough.

I didn't buckle my wheel - but instead i bent my hub and a suspension arm (i think thats what it was) on the front drivers side plus it needed the tracking redoing.

Does the vech pull to the left or right as mine did majorly.

I took it to garage and showed me underneath, I had bent suspension arm and was very lucky not to damage the sub-frame as they are not too giving although fortunately this time it was.

They replaced arm and put damaged front alloy on back, then did balance/tracking etc. so now doesn't pull either way or pull on heavy braking (which is good) but the alloy def. needs replacing.

luig, I got a quote of just under £150 for each alloy and like you say cannot find a second hand one anywhere so gonna call dealer 2moz and get one.

P.S On another subject, I filled up with super unleaded for first time this week and noticed it was much more responsive in lower revs. Has anyone else found this or is it my mind playing tricks?!

Aug 19, 2007
East Yorkshire
If you speak kindly to T.spark i believe he has an alloy going spare which he could sell you.
He may have sold it but its worth a try.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members