Where is the oil light switch?

gazbrum

Feb 27, 2009
Birmingham, UK
Hi my engine oil light came on today. Havent topped it up for 4 months so i put 2 litres of oil in but the light still stays on. its the yellow light on the dash old oil tin thing picture lol. it makes a beep sound when turn ignition on wondering it could be a dodgy sensor switch?

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
From a post I made a while ago - - -

Oil state.

Flashing or steady red plus three beeps: low oil pressure.
Steady amber: low oil level. Stop and top up. Opening the bonnet resets the oil level trip.
Flashing amber + beeps: oil level indicator fault

Any oil state warning is serious, ranging from "slow down now, stop and top up the oil at the next layby" to "Your sump's just fallen off, kiss your bearings goodbye"

gazbrum: You have the "oil level indicator fault" warning, which means that (as you suspected) the sensor is duff. The oil pressure warning will still activate the red indication plus beeps for low oil pressure, it just won't be quite as noticable with the amber light already on.

The oil level/temperature sensor is in the bottom of the sump.

There's this funny little stick thing that pokes down into the sump and can tell you exactly how much oil you need to put in and whether it's full or not. It is important to have the right amount. Too much oil will get splashed everywhere, and get into the engine intake through the breather, damaging the cat. Drastic overfilling will kill the engine. Use the Dipstick!

Phillc: Any red oil indication needs immediate attention. Wilful neglect of the engine's clear cry for help will not be covered by any warranty and is likely to cause ribald amusement in garage personnel while they replace your engine. Low oil pressure is serious.

The oil pressure sensor is in the side of the oil filter bracket. Try cleaning the connector first, if the fault is intermittant.

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
From a post I made a while ago - - -

Phillc: Any red oil indication needs immediate attention. Wilful neglect of the engine's clear cry for help will not be covered by any warranty and is likely to cause ribald amusement in garage personnel while they replace your engine. Low oil pressure is serious.

I have an oil Temp and Oil pressure gauge, and am not wilfully neglecting anything, if anything the pressure is a bit high and not low.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members