Why is my car vibrating slightly at idle?

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
Today when i was on my way home from work i was sitting at traffic lights and every now and then a vibration could be felt from the car. I have done some research and it seems that the engine mounts can cause this. I have had an intermittent creaking noise from the front of the car for a while now so wondered if this is also related (had console bushes replaced 4 weeks ago). The car drives fine so i dont think it is anything to do with the engine itself and it has only done 25k. :help:

Any advice would be appreciated!

matfennell

Nov 10, 2009
York
mine is doing the same.

when one of the coil packs went it vibrated massively so im hoping another one isnt on its last legs.

dont know though mate - had my front rear wishbone bushes changed only last week so it cant be that

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
Good service cured mine, plugs and filters :) Only does it for a breif second I'm guessing like the revs dropping?

This is interesting cos my car needs a good service, last time it was done i suspect it would have been a quick one because it was the garage who i bought it from who had serviced it so i doubt they would have done a detailed service! Going to put car in for major service to see if it runs better. Also, i havent noticed the revs dropping but i will have a look today!

mazzerati

Bags are for groceries!
Jun 27, 2008
Beverley, East Yorkshire
I also changed from the standard NGK plugs to Bosch because they are apparently better made.
I had Bosch in when I bought it, changed to NGK then that vibration came back now I'm on Bosch again it's fine. Not sure if that's coincedence though

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
Update- the car's revs does not drop or anything but i have noticed that when i use the steering and window switches, it dims the headlights and interior and dial lights considerably dont know if this is related tho?

D-Power

Oct 28, 2006
Newmarket
when i use the steering and window switches, it dims the headlights and interior and dial lights considerably

thats normal as far as I know. The power steering draws a lot of power, especially if you were 'dry steering' while stationary when checking it out.

My car vibrates a fair bit at idle, resting my foot on the pedal (increasing the revs to ~1k) stops it completely though :confused:

Mar 13, 2010
thats normal as far as I know. The power steering draws a lot of power, especially if you were 'dry steering' while stationary when checking it out.

My car vibrates a fair bit at idle, resting my foot on the pedal (increasing the revs to ~1k) stops it completely though :confused:

It's diesel it will be a little chuggy on tick over, if the car has been mapped that can make it more pronounced on idle aswell.

NickyJam

FR - gone, not forgotten
Mar 17, 2008
SW LONDON
i get it sometimes when idle...and i believe it's coming from the flywheel as when i press the clutch it doesn't happen. seems to happen less after a spirited drive going through the gears (maybe as the clutch is warmed up)

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
Mine does the same I don't think it is. If you turn your headlights on does your engine note change slightly?
Might just need that service then :)

If i turn my headlights on the revs drop slightly and the engine noise does change slightly? Puzzled now! The engine sound is quite rough on idle also if you know what i mean by that

NickyJam

FR - gone, not forgotten
Mar 17, 2008
SW LONDON
If i turn my headlights on the revs drop slightly and the engine noise does change slightly? Puzzled now! The engine sound is quite rough on idle also if you know what i mean by that

Turnin on headlights or turnin the wheel draws power from the battery so initially the revs may drop a tad, but the engine then compensates for this by accelerating a tad to keep the revs at the right level

For the fact that your engine sounds rough it could be due to old oil and filters, so a service will solve most of it out...but for the time being stick some Redex Diesel in when you next fill up and give it some wellie when warm to clean injectors and exhaust and you'll find it'll run a bit smoother just with that

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
Turnin on headlights or turnin the wheel draws power from the battery so initially the revs may drop a tad, but the engine then compensates for this by accelerating a tad to keep the revs at the right level

For the fact that your engine sounds rough it could be due to old oil and filters, so a service will solve most of it out...but for the time being stick some Redex Diesel in when you next fill up and give it some wellie when warm to clean injectors and exhaust and you'll find it'll run a bit smoother just with that

I wish it was a diesel- but it is petrol lol!

NickyJam

FR - gone, not forgotten
Mar 17, 2008
SW LONDON
small update...had my 2nd yr service done with engine flush & new filters and no more rough/shaking idle :thumbup:

i would say get it serviced...especially with new oil and oil filter

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
small update...had my 2nd yr service done with engine flush & new filters and no more rough/shaking idle :thumbup:

i would say get it serviced...especially with new oil and oil filter

Will get it booked in after i come back from hols!

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
Update- put my car in for a full service on saturday but it is still doing this? It is just the same as before but the car does feel much smoother to drive and sounds better on idle

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.