Wide wheels or high wheels

madbsc

I have been looking to buy some alloys for me Arosa S, but reading the posts about wheels I can only find info about wheel diameter. As the width will be critical to the rubbing of arches I wonder has anyone got a view on max width.

I would like to squeeze some 17” Diameter wheels on and looking at previous pics of ArosaRacer’s white MK1it is possible. Nice!

I’m not too bothered about lowering drastically, if at all, because I want the car for every day use and able to take passengers over speed bumps.

Also, do wheels from Ibiza have same whole centers and offset?

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
Unless you're prepared to shell-out mega bucks on special tyres, your width is kinda goverened by the wheel diameter

16" wheels generally take 195 tyres
17" wheels generally take 205 tyres
18" wheels generally take 225 tyres etc etc

Offset is more critical - how much of this width sits away from the body of the car and scrubs on the (outer) arches, or how close you can safely get to the suspension/brake calipers and so on

4 stud Ibiza wheels fit (later models being 5 stud) and have the same bore, pcd and offset

madbsc

thans for the info, don't suppose you know the best acceptable offset? I think it ranges from 38 to 45. Does this mean 45 is the maximum from center towards the strut and 38 being the standard?:confused:

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
I wouldn't know tbh - my sister's got a Lupo, but it's just got standard wheels on it

Offset is a tricky one, cos it's the size of the hub... which actually relates to the gap between the back of the wheel hub and the centreline - so the smaller the ET number, the more metal the wheel has on the back hub.

This means that whatever the hub is as standard (think it's 38) there's a balance to strike between how much wider the wheel is, and how much of this extra width sits inboard/outboard of the hub.

eg. if the standard wheels are close to the suspension or inner arches, and you want bigger/wider wheels, your only option is to go for a smaller offset to move 'the wheel' out into the arches.... the trade-off being that you then have to worry about the bodywork on the outside

1litre wonder

(s)Low rider
Jul 6, 2006
Glasgow
to be honest , got with 17s without the suspension dropped its going to look like a tractor , slow the car down and look a bit naff . i personally went for the slammed and wide look , dropped the car 130mm and then ran 15x7.5's but ET25 with a stretched tyre and they *just* cleared and no more besides a smaller wheel = cheaper tyres :lol:

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
15+wide+loooow for me when i get chance of one

to me the wheels look larger than they are 'cos of the short bumper style

i'm with 1 litre's setup to be honest looked perfect for the car

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
I have 195/45/15's on my Arosa which, is apparently the same as the Arosa/lupo sport. I would seriously advice you to, if your planning on lowering your car, to do this 1st before buying wheels and tyres.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.