Window Tinting?

excaliber20vT

Im a professional vinyl graphics guy and want to look at tinting my windows, now i can do this myself no problems, i want a all round
(apart from screen!) tint, lokking at 35% buy 20% looks a lot nicer!

does anyone know the laws in uk for this or is it all illegal?

:)

:doh:

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimski

Back to the fold!
Nov 3, 2007
Staffs
30% would be the limit surely? And maybe even then, dependent on the film, these may be illegal and you will be require to remove the tint there and then!

Leon front windows are slightly tinted anyway, tinting the rear would obvious reduce the light intake and make the inside darker anyway.

Save your pennies man....

Jimski

joey_b

the standard tint on your front windows are on the legal limits, any other tint added to the fronts will become illegal. the windows behind the "b" pillar can be as dark as you like, as said above just tint the back and it will create a shadow in the car making it darker.:)

edmong

GHE Tuning
Aug 15, 2007
Plymouth, Devon
Like above your side windows must allow 70% of light through, a 25-30% tint allows 25-30% of light through. The Leon windows, standard, allow 76% through so any tint will render them illegal.

At the side of the road, I would use a Tint Man and if the windows where restricting the light by less than 45% you would recieve a prohibition and the tints would need to be removed. If the Police stopped you and the tint was restricting the light by more than 30% they can prosecute for fitment of dangerous parts which you can loose your licence for.

Also as the front windows are tinted and you are involved in an accident regardless of whos fault it was, your insurance will not pay out.

Anyway, if your driving a nice motor you want people to see you!

You would not wear sunglasses at night would you, so why tint the fronts?

simpa

so whats your opion guys cause i was thinking of doing mine (not my front window ) just a medium shade i was thinking

Sep 18, 2009
Shropshire
so whats your opion guys cause i was thinking of doing mine (not my front window ) just a medium shade i was thinking

My fiesta has medium to dark tints on the rear and is pretty good. Not having the fronts done let in more light to the rear. I wouldn't recommend having the fronts done though with any tint, your just going to get pulled.

mrvavavoom

Feb 4, 2009
bandit country
i have 35% on drop glasses thus allowing 65% through its darker than factory but with it being next to limo tint on the back the difference is such that it doesnt look tinted.
you are allowed 9inch max sun strip on front windscreen from top of glass also:)

edmong

GHE Tuning
Aug 15, 2007
Plymouth, Devon
i have 35% on drop glasses thus allowing 65% through its darker than factory but with it being next to limo tint on the back the difference is such that it doesnt look tinted.
you are allowed 9inch max sun strip on front windscreen from top of glass also:)

whats drop glass? and where did you get this 9inch sunstrip from?

simpa

already got a strip on front lads same colour as car with "seat sport " on it cheers 4 replies

mrvavavoom

Feb 4, 2009
bandit country
whats drop glass? and where did you get this 9inch sunstrip from?

drop glass is a term used for the nearside and offside front windows,the 9 inch sunstrip is the maximum width allowed on the top of the windscreen that does not obscure the drivers view its equivelent to putting your sunvisor down.;)

mrvavavoom

Feb 4, 2009
bandit country
The sun strip must not cover the area swept by the wipers.

on mine the 9 inch is measured on the left of windscreen ie top left corner.
when it reaches the middle of screen it is only about 10mm below rear view mirror pad,
so it seems like a gradual curve to follow the curve of the screen then back 9 inch drop from the top right of the screen the wiper sweep is roughly an inch into it but only at extreme 90 degrees as it wipes behind rear view mirror hope this makes sense lol

edmong

GHE Tuning
Aug 15, 2007
Plymouth, Devon
The sun strip must not cover the area swept by the wipers.

thats right.

what ive quoted is maximum allowed my dads an mot inspector

Zone 'A' is measured 290mm from the centre of the steering wheel and what is the swept area, (so 145mm each side of the middle) Anything greater than 10mm would be an MOT failure. Anything else outside zone 'A' and in the swept area cannot be any greater than 40mm. If the strip is encroaching in this then it would fail at MOT. As far as what the Police would say, I would need to do some investigating.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.