Wiper speed discovery!

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
After several years of driving by Leon - last night I noticed something new about my wiper speeds!

I don't have auto wipers.
I noticed for some time that my wiper arm speed was different/slower between continuous/slow setting and intermittent but didn't think much of it - until last night I discovered whilst using continuous/slow setting the intermittent speed switch on top of the arm works as a speed regulator! so you can very the speed of the continuous/slow setting!

Maybe this is common knowledge? but it wasn't for me!

biminibob

Mar 27, 2022
After several years of driving by Leon - last night I noticed something new about my wiper speeds!

I don't have auto wipers.
I noticed for some time that my wiper arm speed was different/slower between continuous/slow setting and intermittent but didn't think much of it - until last night I discovered whilst using continuous/slow setting the intermittent speed switch on top of the arm works as a speed regulator! so you can very the speed of the continuous/slow setting!

Maybe this is common knowledge? but it wasn't for me!

News to me, I’ll try it next time it rains (so most likely tomorrow 😂)

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
News to me, I’ll try it next time it rains (so most likely tomorrow 😂)
My sister-in-law owned a 2012 Rapid for 10 years before mentioning to me she missed the variable wiper speeds of her previous Sierra. I pointed out the switch on top of the wiper stalk, which is present on many (most?) VAG cars.

cupra14

Aug 31, 2017
England
IMO the slowest intermittent setting is still too fast. (Seems a common situation on various makes of car not just VAG.)

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Been out and tried ours - I knew that the intermittent was variable, but you're right, you can alter the speed of the slow continuous as well!
Who knew!:unsure:
Cheers @SuperV8

Reactions: SuperV8

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
IMO the slowest intermittent setting is still too fast. (Seems a common situation on various makes of car not just VAG.)
The best variable intermittent I've ever used was on my old VW T4 vans: you could set the wipe interval steplessly; switch to intermittent, then off again, wait for the amount of time you want the interval to be, then switch on again.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.