Wireless Android Auto adaptor (for Leon's with full link)

mjj4

Sep 30, 2019
Just thought I'd mention that I purchased this wireless Android auto adaptor from AliExpress for $28, and it is incredible. It actually connects quicker than using my phone wired, and everything works as if my phone was plugged in.

I've heard stories about some functions not working, such as factory mic when pressing the steering wheel mic button for example, but this one works 100%.

This is up there with one of the best mods I've done to my MK3 so thought I'd share it.

Link below, I'm not sponsored or anything, just appreciate a bargain and this will be significantly cheaper than buying the same thing from Amazon.

NOTE - there are 2 options, a larger box or a tiny USB stick. I went for the tiny USB stick and you can't even see it from the driver's seat, and it allows my phone to actually fit in the front cubby hole. I'll add a picture tomorrow when it's light.

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! US $26.84 30%OFF | New Upgrade Mini Wired to Wireless Android Auto Adapter for Wired Android Auto Car Smart Ai Box Bluetooth WiFi Auto connect Map

mjj4

Sep 30, 2019

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Thanks for sharing.
Nice and compact and cheap! - most of the 'ebay' ones are quite bulky and twice the price.
Have not used alliexpres - how did you find them?

Reactions: mjj4

mjj4

Sep 30, 2019
Thanks for sharing.
Nice and compact and cheap! - most of the 'ebay' ones are quite bulky and twice the price.
Have not used alliexpres - how did you find them?
No worries.

Yes it ticks all the boxes for size and price, so the fact it functions perfectly was an added bonus. The eBay ones will most certainly be resellers of AliExpress items (there are plenty of those larger box ones available, but that took the attraction away for me).

I've used AliExpress several times now and I've always had good results and fast shipping (less than 2 weeks). I only tend to buy items that have a high sold count and generally with picture reviews.

Just a note, any currency other than USD seems to attract a special AliExpress tax, so I always purchase in USD and let my bank do the conversion.

Reactions: SuperV8

mjj4

Sep 30, 2019
Thought I'd add a photo of how small this really is, and how it's completely out of the way of the phone tray below. My Google pixel 7 pro in a Quadlock case fits in there perfectly, so I'm going to look at wireless charging options now I don't have to plug into the car for Android Auto.

Attachments

• PXL_20231215_153556157.jpg
    PXL_20231215_153556157.jpg
    355.8 KB · Views: 237
Reactions: SuperV8

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Thought I'd add a photo of how small this really is, and how it's completely out of the way of the phone tray below. My Google pixel 7 pro in a Quadlock case fits in there perfectly, so I'm going to look at wireless charging options now I don't have to plug into the car for Android Auto.
You should be able to fit the Seat wireless charger.

Reactions: mjj4

johnnygal

Sep 15, 2023
Just thought I'd mention that I purchased this wireless Android auto adaptor from AliExpress for $28, and it is incredible. It actually connects quicker than using my phone wired, and everything works as if my phone was plugged in.

I've heard stories about some functions not working, such as factory mic when pressing the steering wheel mic button for example, but this one works 100%.

This is up there with one of the best mods I've done to my MK3 so thought I'd share it.

Link below, I'm not sponsored or anything, just appreciate a bargain and this will be significantly cheaper than buying the same thing from Amazon.

NOTE - there are 2 options, a larger box or a tiny USB stick. I went for the tiny USB stick and you can't even see it from the driver's seat, and it allows my phone to actually fit in the front cubby hole. I'll add a picture tomorrow when it's light.

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! US $26.84 30%OFF | New Upgrade Mini Wired to Wireless Android Auto Adapter for Wired Android Auto Car Smart Ai Box Bluetooth WiFi Auto connect Map
Thanks for the link, very interested in this.

In your experience with it, does it cancel all other Bluetooth connections to your phone, when the phone is connected to the adapter. Just reading about other adapters and they have this limitation. For example, I want to maintain the Bluetooth connection to my watch while in the car.

MATT RILEY

Oil burner
May 9, 2004
Hi there, will the OP please tell me how to connect this dongle please?
I have plugged it on and connected the Bluetooth and WiFi but when I put it into my chrome browser the 192 ...... Address it comes up website not found?

Many thanks Matt.

mjj4

Sep 30, 2019
Thanks for the link, very interested in this.

In your experience with it, does it cancel all other Bluetooth connections to your phone, when the phone is connected to the adapter. Just reading about other adapters and they have this limitation. For example, I want to maintain the Bluetooth connection to my watch while in the car.
No it doesn't cancel all other connections, I think that's set by your phone. Bluetooth 5.2 allows you to connect to 2 Bluetooth sources simultaneously, so if you connect to the android auto dongle and don't connect to the cars factory Bluetooth, you should be able to stay connected to your smart watch. I'm old school with watches so can't test this for you.

mjj4

Sep 30, 2019
Hi there, will the OP please tell me how to connect this dongle please?
I have plugged it on and connected the Bluetooth and WiFi but when I put it into my chrome browser the 192 ...... Address it comes up website not found?

Many thanks Matt.
I'm confused with what you're trying to achieve when you say "I put it into my chrome browser....." Are you trying to update it? I just plugged it into my car, connected to it via WiFi and Bluetooth and it connected immediately.

johnnygal

Sep 15, 2023
No it doesn't cancel all other connections, I think that's set by your phone. Bluetooth 5.2 allows you to connect to 2 Bluetooth sources simultaneously, so if you connect to the android auto dongle and don't connect to the cars factory Bluetooth, you should be able to stay connected to your smart watch. I'm old school with watches so can't test this for you.
Thanks Matt, much appreciated.

MATT RILEY

Oil burner
May 9, 2004
I'm confused with what you're trying to achieve when you say "I put it into my chrome browser....." Are you trying to update it? I just plugged it into my car, connected to it via WiFi and Bluetooth and it connected immediately.
Yes I plugged it in and connected Bluetooth and WiFi on the phone but it did not connect?
I have a 65 plate Leon with full link that works ok with a lead and use a pixel 7 pro phone.
So I was going to try and update it but it can't find the 192 updater?

MATT RILEY

Oil burner
May 9, 2004
The instructions page

Attachments

• 17041238990433961311306129509526.jpg
    17041238990433961311306129509526.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 137

MATT RILEY

Oil burner
May 9, 2004
Update the Android auto app on your phone to the latest version, use the bluetooth search to look for the BT dongle in the car and connect to it via BT
Hi mate have done all that, still no workie.
Well I suppose you get what you pay for!

Attachments

• PXL_20240102_081337863.jpg
    PXL_20240102_081337863.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 120

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
I'm wondering if your device is a faulty one? Could you perhaps try it in another car? Obviously one with AA enabled.
I take it that AA works when phone is directly connected with a cable?

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
I'm wondering if your device is a faulty one? Could you perhaps try it in another car? Obviously one with AA enabled.
I take it that AA works when phone is directly connected with a cable?
Is yours an Android Auto version?
There are Carplay versions which look similar.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
No worries.

Yes it ticks all the boxes for size and price, so the fact it functions perfectly was an added bonus. The eBay ones will most certainly be resellers of AliExpress items (there are plenty of those larger box ones available, but that took the attraction away for me).

I've used AliExpress several times now and I've always had good results and fast shipping (less than 2 weeks). I only tend to buy items that have a high sold count and generally with picture reviews.

Just a note, any currency other than USD seems to attract a special AliExpress tax, so I always purchase in USD and let my bank do the conversion.
I've ordered one. ;)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.