Worrying comment from auto Trader on the MK3, is it true?

Atlantia

Nov 18, 2008
The South West
http://www.drivethedebate.co.uk/search/read/review/36373/make/71/model/645/page/0/

Heres the relevant bit, well the majority of the short article really, its not like it has anything positive to say about the Mk3!

"Major design fault of the heating controls being routed through the car's radio which results in complete failure of radio, heating system, and all related console controls after about 30,000 miles. Stupid shaped doors which lean out at the top and bust your nose if you don't lean slightly back as you open them from outside! Exterior temperature sensor located in the nearside mirror and very prone to going haywire"

Last edited:

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
radio is a well known achillies heel ill admit

exterior temp sensor is also but all of £20 to fix if you REALLY need to know how cold it is outside

open the door before you try and get in and you wont hit the door :):)

truCido

Race Lupo in progress...
Dec 11, 2003
Bristol
www.vagowners.co.uk
lol the radio doesn't always fail after 30,000 miles, some don't fail, some don't fail till 100k just one of those things...

exterior temp sensor will fail at some point yes but like fl@pper said easy fix

lol i never had a problem with the door??

Atlantia

Nov 18, 2008
The South West
They made it sound like the radio/console total failure was an inevitable and regular event.
I'm relieved to hear that the reviewer is exaggerating somewhat.
Is there a an alternative to replacing the standard radio? Surely someone must have figured a mod for this problem?

shantybeater

loving the whoosh
Sep 28, 2007
Bournemouth & Brighton
lol i have never noticed anything with the doors?? and as for the stereo..people usually just cut a hole in the dash to the shape of an aftermarket HU or stick it in the glovebox..

Heres the headunit on my old one:

DSC_0520.jpg

290907-2.jpg

clarkey-cool/s

Braindead
Mar 24, 2008
I have that problem with the door, its when you got your hands full and get in and it twats you on the nose!
Never had my temp sender work..don't really care because I know exactly how cold it is anyway!
My headunit still works after 74k, never use it though, but it's still all wired up.

si-mate

Jai Ho or Jay Ho?
May 31, 2004
Kunt Centryside
From several years of reading posts on here, the radio failing isn't that common. Much more likely is the clutch pedal snapping, coilpacks failing and the MAF giving up the ghost.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members