Wrong VIN on car

yessar_kd

May 4, 2008
Birmingham
So my lease came to an end last week. Had arranged for BCA to come out and take the car. The engineer did his usual checks and when checking the VIN number of the paperwork, he notice the VIN was different to the one on the car. Now we both had the correct VIN on our documents but not on the car. So now the car is sitting on my drive as the engineer refused to take it and advised to call SEAT. I didn't have time as i was also flying out the same day. Just come back off my holiday today and was wondering if anyone has experieced anything like this.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I'd consider that this is not your problem, maybe even threaten to charge SEAT for parking on your driveway, just a admin error or maybe there are 2 errors, ie 2 cars with swopped details on the leasing agreements, I'd think that the VIN on the car is correct.

Alex667

Jan 10, 2023
United Kingdom
Understandable that the driver wouldn't take it, but I'd just call the leasing company and let them deal with it as it's a "them" problem, not a "you" problem.

Exactly how different was it? Single digit off, or obviously the wrong paperwork done somewhere?

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
The lease papers and the DVLA papers that the engineer had the same VIN number with the correct reg, but the car has a different VIN number.
I take it that the VIN numbers on the car (think they are stamped in 3 places) are all the same? Also the VIN displayed in the Infotainment unit and on the stickers in boot and service book?

MattN

Jan 1, 2021
Leeds
Perhaps a registration plate mix up at the supplying dealership when new. Two cars with identical specification have had the wrong plates on. You have the wrong car with the correct plates, whilst someone else has your car but with their plates.

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
In 2011 I had similar buying a used 20 month old Clio for the wife.

Test drove a blue Clio & that was the one we collected. However, realised when we received the V5 that it, driver's manual & service book were for another exactly the same spec Clio.

Took all 3 documents back to the dealer a week after getting the car & told them to sort it out.

Their solution was to swap the car's so we ended up with a slightly newer car with a lower mileage without paying more.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Perhaps a registration plate mix up at the supplying dealership when new. Two cars with identical specification have had the wrong plates on. You have the wrong car with the correct plates, whilst someone else has your car but with their plates.
Seen this few times, I have gone with an apprentice to the compound to fit 40+ sets of plates, it only takes a little lapse of concentration to mix the plates on two identical cars, it’s all down to when the mistake is noticed? When doing handovers I always checked the car before the customer was due, once found a car with 3 mud flaps on.

Reactions: yessar_kd

Kryton

Feb 28, 2023
Brothers golf r when he went to collect was 5 door instead of 3. Mixed plates up between the 2 at dealer. Ive also had a saab convertible registered as a saloon and a bm estate registered as a convertible which were both screw ups by sales admin. If they don’t play ball, then clearly the finance is against a different car so does that mean you get to keep that one as a debt free vehicle lol?

DigitalSushi

Sep 7, 2020
So if your contract specifically stated that the car has a particular VIN then it could be legally argued the company have never actually fulfilled the specifics of the contract.

Meaning you have paid for years and they have not provided the service agreed. Potentially legally you might be entitled to your money back.

Hell of a long shot but you never know with a good enough solicitor.

yessar_kd

May 4, 2008
Birmingham
It is a long shot. After numerous calls they still haven't decided what to do with the car. It's sitting outside my house with no insurance and if it parts start to go missing, they have themselves to blame

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
That's an epic screw up, if you had been in a crash, potentially the insurance would refuse to pay out.

If they don't come up with a solution quickly, you need to contact the ombudsman.

yessar_kd

May 4, 2008
Birmingham
They are so bad. No one is taking responsibility. It will come to a point whereas I will have to threaten them to get some action.

DigitalSushi

Sep 7, 2020
They are so bad. No one is taking responsibility. It will come to a point whereas I will have to threaten them to get some action.
All joking aside, but do threaten to charge them a storage fee

Have you put this all in writing to them. Especially clarifying that this car is no longer insured. Just to make sure they are not under any illusions.

Do this and also request the recordings of your telephone calls with them.

It's a trick that does tend to scare companies into sorting things.

Hope you get it sorted

yessar_kd

May 4, 2008
Birmingham
Quick update. No one has been is contact since last week. They are sorting out the paperwork somehow :shrug: Car is parked in my mate garage. If and when they decide to call me, i will direct them to my mate garage who also give them a bill for storing the car.

Reactions: BigJase88 and Yern
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise