Constant hisssssssssing under load.

Triple D

Jordanpd??? has just came round mine, thinking that he had blown his turbo up. He took me out in it to show me, and whilst accelerating, its still boosting but with a constant hissing noise coming from down near the drivers wheel side and at the back of the engine. It is also smoking quite alot more than when it did it before. Have taken the maf out, and no more smoke, but you still get the hisssssssing.

Does anyone have any ieas as to what it could be? I think it could possibly be just a boost leak, but if the turbo has gone, can he stil drive it around in limp mode untill he gets it to the dealership to get checked over properly?

It is a 2003 130 tdi with revo and FMIC (mrcoyotes old car)

stoneyfordNI

GGG GGG GGGIGITYYY
Jan 9, 2005
Lisburn NI
boost leak fella , its a cert. remove bumper n lower engine cover n check all pipes , hoses and clips ,

EDIT also around the MAP sensor boss on the long forge pipe , thats where mine leaked

Last edited:

Triple D

stoneyfordNI said:
boost leak fella , its a cert. remove bumper n lower engine cover n check all pipes , hoses and clips ,
Yep, thats what i thought, apparently he'd been caning it for about 30 mins prior, with the oil temp upto about 120 degrees.
Were gonna check all the pipes tomorrow after work, im guessing its the pipe that comes from the turbo, along the side of the engine.

Triple D

stoneyfordNI said:
EDIT also around the MAP sensor boss on the long forge pipe , thats where mine leaked
Yep, ok. It just seems strange, as the car was the developement car that forge used, and its been on for quite a while now. Could possibly be a split hose aswell.

Jordan20vt

Mk3 20VT
Jan 14, 2006
Rugby
thats good to know, thingkin about it though dan it had to be a boost leak, like i said theres nothing down there apart from pipes, gimp mode is rubbish!!! we'll have a look at it tomorrow, cheers for that mate.
thanks alot:thumbup:

Triple D

JORDAN PD??? said:
thats good to know, thingkin about it though dan it had to be a boost leak, like i said theres nothing down there apart from pipes, gimp mode is rubbish!!! we'll have a look at it tomorrow, cheers for that mate.
thanks alot:thumbup:
Oh jordan, you need to change your signature now, as you have a constant ptttttttssssssssshh :lol: ;)

Triple D

Right, found the problem, The drive shaft has worn a hole through the boost pipe, the metal one that runs along the side of the engine, and also the silicon one that goes behind the engine towards the turbo.

So the question now is, can someone get me the etka picture of the puipework from the turbo to the intercooler so i can get the correct part numbers, or if someone can get me the part no.s it would be much appreciated.

Ill post some pictures up in a bit.
Cheers Spaniel

Triple D

Yep, he needs the one directly off the turbo, and the one that connects to that (the metal one) and also a clip for the metal one aswell. Cant quite make out the no. for the second pipe from the turbo though.

Triple D

m0rk said:
how on earth? has he lowered it more?
Nope, it has the seat sport kit on it that was already on it when Ken sold it to him, he hasnt done anything to it. My guess is that this has been a progressing problem, as its been rubbing on the drive shaft for some time at a guess. Have kinda solved the contact problem, by pulling the boost pipe, from where forge have fitted new pipework forward a bit, so its further from the drive shaft now. Hopefully once the hoses are replaced though, the problem should be sorted.

It just seems a bit wiered though, could it possibly be a fault in the way forge have designed the pipework from where the smic was to wear they have connected it to the new one?

Triple D

stoneyfordNI said:
i dunno but il be checking mine asap

EDIT i think il be checking everyones
Yep, you know the pipe that connects to where the old smic was, i made sure that both ends of the pipe were touching at the other end ( the one with the bend, to the one that goes down the side of the engine), so hopefully, i shouldn't have this problem

Jordan20vt

Mk3 20VT
Jan 14, 2006
Rugby
well i hope for everyone elses sake we havn't unearthed a major problem. Just seems strange as it was the development car for forge. At least if it was Spaniels car you could put it down to the way we fitted it. I would advise everyone who has the system to check though. Cheers for all the help:)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.