Leon Cupra R25

POPOV

Jun 25, 2005
Sweden
How did U put those seats in place? Driver and passenger Sparco seats. Did you use custom made rails or something else? I want proper seat also!

I made my own adapters, no adjustment options at all. The driver seat has been set to fit my driving position only and passenger seat has been moved as far back as possible to fit tal people.

One of my best investments I must say, nothing beats the feeling of being able to really sense how the car is acting on the road.

y3mZzOw-B-S7TMmLK-IYfDVpi79b7ClK8ZSvRvAPqBXL6wWLOPATy00KYf2eiLzYaghik2qfcBytYMXoERBoXwsXI5hq74QPfhL6yxgmRdZK08IcZjih5Y6hDYSilRka8EjpIttzme8ewIzw1B-xv7MR1wfQFr7xFb6tNk0ug6DLz4

POPOV

Jun 25, 2005
Sweden
Performance

During the last couple of days I've been pushing the car too see how fast it really is. I'm really struggling with grip at speeds below 100km/h, first and second gear are thereby an challenge.
In forth gear I can get away without spinning my tires, that's the downside of FWD. This is for sure still a really fun car, especially in higher speeds.

So far I've manged to do 100-200 in 7.37s, VBOX verified.
Conditions:
  • 10C ambient temp
  • 19" 235/35
  • not using NLS
  • 98 RON
  • WMI on
  • 1340Kg
  • Manual shift
With better tire traction and a NLS I'm sure I would get below 7.0s .
In the graph attached the green g-force graph line shows my shift .

y3m1Blhs058ZGl28SpoqgC9wS0YVjCN7X4rDYfh92pUSxm7k95GyCGqDiqKybKk_VmJfBk_bT8u0Ej0-l9axdTmecK1wjlAkmqQehflMxo2ItsVrIk7Wrv5u0juu9HbK8wsihiJ3xYEsCuxRMp7SlSdKOcRJvK0MoGKxIlmx6nqCWU

:wave:

Last edited:

who.am.i

Leon FR
Jan 23, 2016
EU
Mate,its a one fun piece of car thar u made.i agree,that all that horses and torque is hard to handle in lower speed..
700nm is truck torque not car :)

Again,its a beast on road!respect

VAG Familia

Last edited:

POPOV

Jun 25, 2005
Sweden
VBOX corrected time

It seems as there are many ways of measuring VBOX times. This is what I learned.
The different methods show a big difference in time results, I present the results from the same 100-200 run.

Visual time 7.4s
Visual check of what the display is showing.
Good but not accurate as it doesn't take altitude changes into account
See first Image attached below

Verified time 7.37s
Extract the .DBN file from your VBOX and upload it to: http://vboxverify.com/
This will only accept times with ~2% altitude difference, if larger delta they will be classed invalid
See second Image attached below

Corrected time 7.28s
This is where it get's interesting, if your driving down a large slope your times will always be magic. This method takes the altitude differences of the run into account and corrects it accordingly.
As you can see in the blue graph my run was performed on an increasing altitude.
See second Image attached below

By using the DB Scanner tool the altitude changes are taken into account. In my case that was positive for the end results
See third Image attached bellow

Sure, these margins are smal but in a hobby where 5 hp makes a difference this is as applicable :funk:. Yes, it doesn't take wind into account :happy:

First Image
y3mMhrf9A0V-NBpONQ3qVsFxfQmezy9vPHcPfMoDI140knlJrqy8jconO4mxP1ETQSx8lraGn_dgcJztzCnvay5Qi8ju9s1Rl0sVSC-RjOTdSzrby4ZSxvD0C7h5820WOzFNlQvRBqGwlzjBwFFZa3xdFCbzklER6WwZAMuhKzDgKQ

Second Image
y3m1Blhs058ZGl28SpoqgC9wS0YVjCN7X4rDYfh92pUSxm7k95GyCGqDiqKybKk_VmJfBk_bT8u0Ej0-l9axdTmecK1wjlAkmqQehflMxo2ItsVrIk7Wrv5u0juu9HbK8wsihiJ3xYEsCuxRMp7SlSdKOcRJvK0MoGKxIlmx6nqCWU

Third Image
y3mng5nlRTloUdxXm9FCSfTvO7OwpdtYiNhdLdQj4VrwGt56XOUrAJBq5eqJS9JQxH-TKf_fJ3NAx146AnM0mDU05CVR3ULgJKFyXi1aFobqjDFw0X0RNyJQAfS_l9O5F-CrtMo3JdqPzQg_PubqjQWxqSkksG_jKA1z8hCBxPr28U

Last edited:

POPOV

Jun 25, 2005
Sweden
Photo session

I've enjoyed the R25 the last couple of weeks but as temperature is creeping down due to winter closing up the front wheels are fighting for grip.
The R25 will be put into hibernation soon to spare it from salted roads and bad weather.

I reached out to a car magazine some time ago and they showed interest in my car. I meet up with one of their very cool photographer one day.
This fellow was really passionate about his job, enthusiastic people are rare nowadays. He want beyond expectations during the photo session and even used his personal car in creative ways.

y3mBj2CSA1la267U7LtjyBCjeV1sddrsOfUFqh9AcPHGV_m4Y8vDmnALeowZ7PC8xXfxLM1Egui2Cb9wgjTHL3E0QL8mDTHag766uQM_vhXqDHHf5LQkOw5viVlvTbr8wAVyMR6WFP0JsvMQYKVGEwbzcaPSwW6lvqPzVSR80JLOao

y3mQQyT1scTtZTow0yKoNGkWUCfJkIwQsH3WPSLScnNcFfHimO8YhQrpPZRg0hqb4qC7NyraO8Rxl9DZYrpkJzEtJvsHTBzH0JbW14Shwz7_uxwwnFQjCcidRbDwil2CA1w_DrJJbGwKiPDnm0wWsmP5IhtABOu72atj1nSk2qelj0

Last edited:

POPOV

Jun 25, 2005
Sweden
Phase II

It's time to move on and initiate phase II of the Cupra R25 project, all wheel drive!

Several parts need to be sourced before I can get the AWD conversion started.
  • Haldex coupling, generation 4
  • Rear axle, AWD version
  • Fuel tank, AWD version
  • Prop shaft
  • Rear drive shafts
  • Bolts and miscellaneous parts

I've been eager to purchase an Haldex coupling from a trusted Polish seller and could no longer withstand the need. If purchased locally I would have to pay 1500€, I payed including shipping from Poland 330€!
As my ECU is from a TTRS I sourced a gen 4 Haldex coupling, it "should" be plug and play.

y3mqve-6rT_LUcWODVLuW0XMAaB626LhEMuV8ZApxLSsNPhS7LZLnshvh9GUWf4ep8yZXhA29Z5mVMevyFDe2w2SrKL0LQGv94fzjKqcGlsE6MVhKbT94VwG9Z0PDxYgOtL_lMs1tWNlmD_MoAW8A3eic1LfHzY4ML01qzhuo-HX1o

y3mkyDS2vq8feytE9pgnxq3emZEmWrmosGGFSGs7jQIK6fZthQgvzD3NlDg-n38ON7IRUEjtrhjY5nkUBLfRQXJu7Kdphhur8xCOIsn_DZEN6KU0HZG7tmOIVpQ_IHS5zE2l3AjnjDBFAGletyW2cjdD7J088hyrKz83YCtnzCsNDU

Downside of going AWD is the drive-train loss and increased weight due to the heavy Haldex coupling, it weights 36 Kg according to my weight scale. What more can I delete now to compensate for this :confused:.
I guess this second phase of the project will be finalized in the end of spring. I should be able to do some more 100-200 VBOX tests before the AWD goes on.
I'll use the results as a guideline of where I want to be after converting to AWD, maybe a Phase III of this project is needed :funk:

During the black Friday sale I purchased a full set of Black Powerflex bushings for the rear AWD axle. It should keep the car stiff and improve the road performance.

y3mWgPf3qAPXiHLZvI-cagSr3ySAD_K5M7d3jXsOfo7mf3Vk4cbKZLHudWVQMbqUiaqrAeHR4-7fBmJAM-xvGtoW4_jLgiLE2pqz87UsFDoOSOjGSwe4S3St58AwLA6SA-tEIH6565sRAVqkXGqtcg7kSLQgAcRbg1aHyD9WFNuJ8k

Last edited:

who.am.i

Leon FR
Jan 23, 2016
EU
U should gone awd from start od build.but i still love the build u did.have great respect to people who do engine swap,that in very uncommon!!!!

VAG Familia

POPOV

Jun 25, 2005
Sweden
U should gone awd from start od build.but i still love the build u did.have great respect to people who do engine swap,that in very uncommon!!!!

VAG Familia

Thanks !
Due to the complexity (out of my perspective, one man show) of the project, time frame and budget I planned for the AWD to come as a second phase. Now the second phase has been initiated :D .

Last edited:

POPOV

Jun 25, 2005
Sweden
Rear AWD axle

Moving on with the AWD conversion, slowly gathering the parts needed to complete the conversion.
Manged to source a complete rear axle with the aluminum subframe and hubs, there's a steel subframe and hub version to.

As you might know by now I'm addicted to lowering the overall weight of the car, the AWD conversion unfortunately adds more then 80Kg :cry: .

y3mkZzITC2Z-8zFvzh22wFrkLIZwCwgVr4cxPbKfQptSjmIwtZcjZBsKxjf-DgX5PAzA1tgg0I15AEWxnvaIvWrLl1GM4Sxxql-hHioHZckVryCiAzs_kExSi_XRGJSefkc-nwDleNi72cy46GzqYz4ljxXgm3L2BW_I1n_xQu19nk

Last edited:

POPOV

Jun 25, 2005
Sweden
Front-cover featured

Another dream of mine has become reality as my car made it to the front cover of the magazine I wrote about in an earlier post on here.
To see the image of your car in the stores magazine section is really something!

y3mO27gY5sBiIwqQPZZX_mL4J36mLCU6OQYoJkN7DTsfC0C48er-orhHqFprMdak4TA1eITeyF79kAIS9tE0AgZxWGWw-PrLaRIAMorwhw65TErRRuQhKfxNc-oRW7Au0tbDkJkz88DnGpl3xhxSY96ZKhF6DFQ51d0TtmiikCKzks

Last edited:

POPOV

Jun 25, 2005
Sweden
AWD part sourcing

I have now manged to source all the parts for the AWD conversion.
Plan is to have it all fitted and complete the conversion by April month!

For once I don't have any images to share of the last bits I sourced but I've listed them below.
  • Fuel tank, AWD version
  • Prop shaft
  • Rear drive shafts
  • Bolts and miscellaneous parts

Reactions: zamzia