MK3 SEAT Leon CUPRA's owner's register

Which Leon Cupra version do you own?

• Total voters

CupraRobX

Jun 29, 2006
Surrey
The diff will operate in an 'open' condition in comfort (as it does in all modes) until a wheel slip is detected and the mode dictates how quickly and with how much force that the plates are locked. In comfort it will react very slowly and with very little locking intervention. In cupra it will act almost immediately and with the max 1600Nm of clamping force if necessary.
In all seriousness, you don't sound like you'll exploiting the power or the chassis that the Cupra can give and is designed and engineered to give. What made you choose it over an FR or Xperience model?

philmots

Jan 29, 2017
Leeds
You're probably right, but the limits are pretty high, and as a road car being used exclusively on the road it's probably not too sensible to be approaching them regularly. But then I'm 33, I've grown out of driving everywhere flat out like I did 10 years ago.

I chose it over the others because it's the Cupra, it's cheap, it's cheap to run, and it's the most capable in the range, I didn't want anything slower as my previous car was a 510hp V8, still wanted adequate performance for safe overtakes etc when out with wife and 2 kids etc.

To be honest, it does everything I want perfectly - in comfort mode!

Springrollz

Jul 22, 2016
London
You're probably right, but the limits are pretty high, and as a road car being used exclusively on the road it's probably not too sensible to be approaching them regularly. But then I'm 33, I've grown out of driving everywhere flat out like I did 10 years ago.

I chose it over the others because it's the Cupra, it's cheap, it's cheap to run, and it's the most capable in the range, I didn't want anything slower as my previous car was a 510hp V8, still wanted adequate performance for safe overtakes etc when out with wife and 2 kids etc.

Hmm cheap to run you say? I'm a little baffled because I'm sure the FR would have met your requirement of safe overtakes and would achieve much better economy, not to mention it's cheaper to buy.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

philmots

Jan 29, 2017
Leeds
Hmm cheap to run you say? I'm a little baffled because I'm sure the FR would have met your requirement of safe overtakes and would achieve much better economy, not to mention it's cheaper to buy.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I mean the Cupra is economical and cheap to own, and there isn't an engine in the FR that would give me the performance of the Cupra - which is about the minimum I'd want for our main car.

NotSoSimple

Simple
Mar 3, 2017
Suffolk
Went into the dealer today and signed the documents, car had arrived that morning and was being PDI'd in the workshop. Having a dash cam fitted (the SEAT / JVC one) and then collecting Tue/Wed next week. Also ordered the black pack Cupra badge for the rear but they refused to swap the chrome one over for me.. so have to do that myself.

Has anyone else collected an ST 4Drive yet?

huw

Feb 13, 2017
SW London
Dam! wanted to be the first! :)

Enjoying it?

Sorry:p

Yes, I am enjoying it, although my first non-motorway/ dual carriageway journey or short boring commute in London traffic will be this weekend, which I am looking forward to, albeit that it's too new to give it all the beans!

spongeym

Feb 9, 2017
Mine gets delivered tomorrow! Can't wait now, looking forward to driving the beast rather than watching YouTube videos of them!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

NotSoSimple

Simple
Mar 3, 2017
Suffolk
Awesome, yeah its frustrating to hold it back for a few hundred miles. My concern is always that the dealer has the car and has to 'check' it before delivery which means taking on the road. I can't help but feel that they will give it the beans for fun - especially as mine is the first 300 4 drive they have delivered.

CupraRobX

Jun 29, 2006
Surrey

I have to admit, I can’t disagree with you about it being a perfectly capable car in comfort mode - plus I’m 35 with wife and child so also not a boy racer hooning chavtastic badbwoy. Thing is, it’s a genuine hot hatch and nothing like your previous C63 AMG (I’ve guessed that from 510bhp V8 btw).
My workmates have both got the 184bhp FR and for everyday driving its more than fast enough up to national speed limits – the same safe limits that you’ll stick to with wife and kids in the car. I was very, very surprised with how much mid-range punch they have to overtake and how quick they feel.
The steering is less heavy, the suspension is more rounded-off and it has plenty of grip without the need for the VAQ electronic limited slip diff. This sounds more like what you actually needed if you’ll drive the 300 in comfort mode all day long. To me, it’s like buying a Canon 5D camera and shooting in Auto mode like a point and shoot. I’m sorry if this comes across as ranty, sarcastic or rude – it really isn’t supposed to be.

CupraRobX

Jun 29, 2006
Surrey
Awesome, yeah its frustrating to hold it back for a few hundred miles. My concern is always that the dealer has the car and has to 'check' it before delivery which means taking on the road. I can't help but feel that they will give it the beans for fun - especially as mine is the first 300 4 drive they have delivered.

I think I kept my new 290 on low load for about the first 10 minutes…then let her rip. I’m a mechanical engineer for a major engine manufacturer and my personal view is that I see no benefit in ‘running in’ the engines anymore. Each engine is run balls out on a dyno the second it is manufactured to test for leaks and mechanical problems etc. If it’s going to fail, it’s going to fail within the first 20 hours or so whether you baby it or not and be classed as a ‘zero hours’ failure and it’ll be replaced.

huw

Feb 13, 2017
SW London

My dealer told me that when they are delivered they have a limiter which prevents them going over 10mph. The compound where new cars are stored at my dealer is a short drive from the workshop, including having to negotiate a roundabout on a fairly busy road!

Mine had 6 miles on the clock and no fuel when I collected it. My first drive was to the filling station so that they could fill the tank.

NotSoSimple

Simple
Mar 3, 2017
Suffolk
I think I kept my new 290 on low load for about the first 10 minutes…then let her rip. I’m a mechanical engineer for a major engine manufacturer and my personal view is that I see no benefit in ‘running in’ the engines anymore. Each engine is run balls out on a dyno the second it is manufactured to test for leaks and mechanical problems etc. If it’s going to fail, it’s going to fail within the first 20 hours or so whether you baby it or not and be classed as a ‘zero hours’ failure and it’ll be replaced.

Yes that makes sense - i think its probably more along the lines of i want to be the one to thrash it and not the stealers! ;)

Yeah I'm not holding out for any fuel in the tank - i will be mad if there is more than 20 miles on the clock as the dealer compound is behind the showroom.

NotSoSimple

Simple
Mar 3, 2017
Suffolk
My dealer told me that when they are delivered they have a limiter which prevents them going over 10mph. The compound where new cars are stored at my dealer is a short drive from the workshop, including having to negotiate a roundabout on a fairly busy road!

Mine had 6 miles on the clock and no fuel when I collected it. My first drive was to the filling station so that they could fill the tank.

THEY could fill the tank? was a full tank part of the deal?

NotSoSimple

Simple
Mar 3, 2017
Suffolk
It hadn't been discussed, but they filled it.

Also they didn't ask for any more for the new tax price either, so quite happy.

That was nice of them, mine have also honoured the tax increase too so paying the same deposit and monthly as agreed when ordered in Feb.

Heres hoping for some fuel too - did they let you have V Power or Tesco 99? ;)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.