Down on Power?

D4NPH

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for some technical assistance. I have a 2000 model Ibiza Tdi s, 90 bhp chipped to 115 bhp. A couple of days ago we had a hell of a lot of rain and my car started to play up, by that i mean the accelerator decided to have a mind of it's own, power was intermitent and i looked like a learner driver with no throttle control! I took the air box out and found it to be a little on the damp side, so i cleaned it all out and took it for another drive, this time the power was not intermitent, but non existent, foot to the floor and a top speed of about 40 mph, the car just didn't want to go atall. So further investigation found that the air inlet pipe had come off the turbo, this was refitted and altough the car is more driveable now, it is still down on power?? It accelerates slowly, it really doesn't want to rev over 3500 rpm, it almost feels like it used to before it was chipped, only worse. If anyone has any ideas i would be greatful as my warranty runs out at the end of the month.

Best Regards,

Dan.

BeezerDiesel

Minus a Diesel Beezer
Aug 3, 2002
Exeter
Visit site
Ah Dan, where ya bin all this time? Wondered if you still had the TDI - must have about a million miles on by now!

Okay so you've checked all the electrical connections and hoses etc by the sound of it.
Next bet would be to have a look in the scuttle area where the ECU sits and make sure the thing isn't submerged in water if the drain holes have become blocked.
You could also try to disconnect and re-connect the battery which can re-set the ECU incase it's gone into limp mode.
Next thing is to find a member on here near to you that has VAG COM and knows how to use it to see if there are any reported faults as the next guess is going to be the dreaded MAF (Air Flow Meter) which fail regularly in most people's TDIs although I've never had one go in my TDIs.

D4NPH

Hey there BeezerDiesel,

Good to hear from you, i have had the vag box plugged in and it's picking up no faults. Otherwise, yeah i have checked all other hoses, connections etc. But i will check the ecu, and do the battery thing this afternoon. I am just worried that some water or other crap has been sucked into the turbo whilst the pipe was off and has done some serious internal damage?

D4NPH

Disconnected the battery and no results i'm afraid, it's still the same. Also checked the ecu, that seems ok too, no water anywhere near it. Took it out again this afternoon and it doesn't seem too bad at low revs but as soon as you get to 3000 rpm it just slows right down.

BeezerDiesel

Minus a Diesel Beezer
Aug 3, 2002
Exeter
Visit site
OOh 'eck!

There are a few bona fide SEAT technicians on here, so might be worth repeating this thread in the Technical problems forum bit thingy.

Other than that, does the UPsoluted torque still come in with a kick at the same point before the revs die off? Or is it flat all the way?
Still may be the MAF of the N75 Valve if you are still getting some turbo boost but going flat afterwards.

prc

Sooty Meister
With all the tubing poping off + water in the airbox, I'd probably say it's a dead MAF, which won't show up as a fault. When the N75 valve is gone you usually get an error logged (don't remember the number, but it'll give the "not enough intake boost pressure").

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
I'd agree with the MAF.

They dont often log faults as the ECU doesnt know its faulty as its still giving a reading, just the wrong one.

sssstew

Editing your spelling
if the N75 or N18 is faulty it doesnt always log a fault.. my N18 didnt and its the same type of valve.

as for the part that orange is on about :-

Pedal position determined by G79
A decisive factor for the injection quantity is the accelerator
pedal position, i.e. the driver input.
The accelerator position sender is a sliding contact potentiometer
and includes an idling switch and a kick-down
switch (refer to Function Diagram). From these signals,
the control unit calculates the necessary fuel quantity
using additional parameters.
Substitute function
If a fault occurs, the engine runs at a higher idling speed
so that the customer can reach the next workshop.
The accelerator position sender is then deactivated.
SSP 153/13

D4NPH

:D Good news. The car is sorted!! Turned out to be the airflow meter and they replaced it under warranty! Beautiful!! Thanks for all your help those who replied. :cheers:

bardurh

Hi Everyone

I had the same problems, and it turned out to be the Airflow Meter! I got an "unoriginal" spare from Bosch, which is the same as the original at half the price :funk:

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.