Removing marks from white seat trim

CAUZR290

Jan 19, 2018
Hi All,

Only had my Cupra 290 for just over a month now, the other day it was raining outside and the seat got wet when I was getting into the car. Yesterday I noticed that the colour had came off of my jeans onto the white trim on my seat.

I’ve got the standard cupra seats rather than the buckets and can’t quite work out what the material is? Are there any suggestions on removing these marks and the best way to clean them? Thanks.

weasley

May 19, 2017
South Oxfordshire
I don't know what they are made of either, but in a case like that I would try first with a baby wipe. Maybe somewhere inconspicuous to start with, just to make sure it's safe. I use these for all sorts of cleaning tasks, none of which are babies. It brings the white handlebar tape and white parts of my road bike saddle up a treat.

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Agree with Weasley. A wipe of some sort, even though it is not leather a gentle leather cleaner may work but try in hidden place first.

Don't be tempted to use anything abrasive as the colour is only on the surface and you don't want to rub through it.

Be wary of All Purpose Cleaners like Meguiars from Halfords. It will no doubt work but water it down considerable, I would go 10:1 or more to start, as it is VERY strong stuff.

Last edited:

CAUZR290

Jan 19, 2018
I tried baby wipes etc and still no luck :( also brought some autoglym interior shampoo and while it did help to remove the darkness of the stain it was still visible.

I did a bit of googling and saw mention of magic erasers (which we have plenty of at home) used along side good old fairly liquid. I left the eraser soak in some water and then dabbed some fairly liquid all along the stain and then gently went over it with the eraser using circular motions and would you know it after 2 passes the stain was completely gone :p

I was cautious about using this encase it took away the colour from the seat but it actually looks just as bright as the passenger side now which looks brand new!!! I also ran it across some parts that had obviously become a little bit discoloured from grease etc. and again they came up as good as new. I can't say I'll be doing this regulary as I don't want to be causing any potential damage but I'm going to buy some interior sealer and cover these areas to stop any colour transfers in the future. Thanks for the suggestions guys :D

JimH

Cupra 300 ST DSG 4Drive
May 23, 2015
Norwich, UK
It's just plastic trim - I found a soft cloth with a bit of Cif (the white version not the yellow - not sure if that's the correct brand)worked for me..... The problem's gone in the 300 - can't say I miss the white trim ;-)

Last edited:

CAUZR290

Jan 19, 2018
Ah that's good news!!! Was just a bit worried about causing any discolouration of it! I do like the look of the white trim as I've also got nevada white paint work so it all ties in nicely :) Thinking about keeping this for a year and then maybe look at getting the 300ST 4Drive!

Totally off topic but how do you find it compared to the 290?

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
I went for the gardx on the interior (rightly or wrongly). It gets reapplied a couple of times a year.
I've noticed marks on the white trim over the past couple of years but nothing that has stained. It has seemingly done a good job.

I'll be glad of the less fussy black trim on the 300 :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members