Knocking Noise HELP!!!

Monks Seat

Mar 23, 2009
Birmingham
Hi all,
I have owned my ibiza 3 months now and about a month ago i started to hear a knocking noise coming from my front drivers side wheel. (i have standard suspension on the car by the way) i took it to seat and up 2 date i have had the following replaced:-

-ARB replaced
-DropLinks replaced
-Power steering rack and pump replaced
-Suspension top mounts replaced

and i still have the knocking noise any body had a simalar problem or any solutions?
any info would help! im at mi whits end!!! lol!
cheers

digby130?

pocket rocket
Aug 10, 2008
exeter/london
it doesnt catch on the droplinks but i have the same problem!
its not that serious unless it gets really really really loud and consistent, its somewhere in the top mount area! - the seat garage i took it to backed up what three other trusted garages said!
it will need to become more consistent for them to decide what was wrong!

gerallt1

I have been trying to resolve a similar issue with the dealer for over the past year and a bit.

Replaced so far:-

Power Steering pump
steering column
track rod ends
drop links

the car (Cupra 06 TDI) has only covered 25k miles.

Its in next Friday for a new steering rack, which i am hoping will sort the problem.
The best way to replocate the knocking is to put the key in the ignition and turn it to the first click so that you can move the steering wheel. When i move the steeing back and forth with some vigour the knocking is quite apparent and is identical to what i hear when the is being driven over uneaven surfaces.

Monks Seat

Mar 23, 2009
Birmingham
iv had the steering rack replaced, and i still have he knocking, i think its the bearings or sumat like that cus iv jst read sumat and it ses to check for ware on the inside of the tyre, and iv checked and ive got more ware on the inside. mine is booked in for friday again and im guna ask them this.

RpR

Sep 24, 2008
Denmark
Since I've had my 2007 FR lowered it's had a knocking noise from the right top mount if a put the steering into max right position, and slowly drive forward. It's clearly the suspention knocking about, but noone at Seat can figure out why.. :S
Guess I'll have to wait for the damn thing to lose a wheel, and by then the warranty is out..:wtf:

dave_p

im having the same problem with mine, haven't bothered looking into it yet i just turn the radio up so i can't hear it lol, i was in for its MOT on sat and it passed and nothing was discovered with regards to the knocking noise.

also when you hear the noise do you get a slight wobble/rattle in the steering?

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
I had a similar mysterious knocking noise. It turned out to be a top mount bearing in the end, all sorted now.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I had a similar mysterious knocking noise. It turned out to be a top mount bearing in the end, all sorted now.

I replaced the top bearings when I replaced the springs - on the side with the broken spring, the bearinghad fallen apart when the spring dropped. These bearing don't seem to be well greased or well protected from road grime etc, so maybe its no wonder that they can fail

RpR

Sep 24, 2008
Denmark
I've had my right top bearing replaced aswell, noise still there. The mech told me it's a common fault for pretty much all VW's to bust the top bearings as the design is the same on all models, and hasn't changed much since the 60's :S
He's changed bearing on everything from a Lupo to a Gallardo. On average they last a couple of years he says. Fail :(

RpR

Sep 24, 2008
Denmark
~40£ in Denmark, considdering all our taxes and stuff it's prolly cheaper in the UK

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I seem to remember that the bearing assembles are not very expensive - maybe £15+ - but that was a few years ago. One thing if you are replacing them, make sure that you remove all the parts of the old ones as the top bit can end up "sticking" to the bottom of the top mounting. (that can also be the reason why the new one looks completely different from the one you have removed!)

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise