Listers - Parts

Go Back   SEAT Cupra.net - SEAT Forum » SEAT Model Specific Discussion Forum includes Members Projects » Leon » Leon Mk2

Leon Mk2 For all topics relating to the Mk2 Leon

Old 03-01-2018, 21:56   #1
Cossie-boy

Cossie-boy has 10 points
Best headlight bulb 2018?!

Hi all

I know there are loads of threads about bulbs and I've read some, but I've just had a headlight bulb blow tonight so need to change it, or more like upgrade the pair!

I've had Xenons before, HIDs in my last MK1 and previous to that Osram Nightbreakers. All good in their own way I guess.

There seems to be lots of new bulbs on the market these days, which are the best?

I thought about HID's but not sure if can be bothered with the wiring etc...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

CB
Cossie-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 13:56   #2
ray

ray has 10 points
I asked the same about hid kits, was shot down in flames for wanting to blind on coming traffic. 🤫

I use a set of Phillips bright white (theyíre not white) and seem pretty good, still fancy a hid kit but itís not a necessity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 15:44   #3
Asce

Asce has 10 points
You can get H7r HID kits. Wont blind oncoming traffic
Asce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 18:24   #4
Cossie-boy

Cossie-boy has 10 points
Interesting!

I found these two now

https://www.hids4u.co.uk/H7-HIDS4U-S...rsion-Kit.html

or

https://www.hids4u.co.uk/H7-HIDS4U-S...rsion-Kit.html

bit pricey but I like the plug and play idea if you then just have to fix the ballasts, any got these?

What are the H7R HID kits Asce?

On my MK1 it had the HIDs in when I got it, but big holes had been cut into the back of the headlight covers, hopefully not the case on MK2s?

Cheers

CB
Old 04-01-2018, 18:41   #5
Asce

Asce has 10 points
Think they are about the same price i paid for mine. They were much better than any bulbs i used including Osrams, didnt need to use full beams often. Instructions tell you to cut a hole in the cover but you can route the cables out of the bottom by creating a 5 - 10mm gap where the cover goes on.
Old 04-01-2018, 22:18   #6
Cossie-boy

Cossie-boy has 10 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asce View Post
Think they are about the same price i paid for mine. They were much better than any bulbs i used including Osrams, didnt need to use full beams often. Instructions tell you to cut a hole in the cover but you can route the cables out of the bottom by creating a 5 - 10mm gap where the cover goes on.
Are these the exact same ones?
Old 05-01-2018, 00:16   #7
ray

ray has 10 points
I just bought a cheap set off eBay, made sure they were the correct type and error free, Iíll post the difference once theyíre on.

Thanks Cossie boy youíve cost me 20 quid

Old 05-01-2018, 01:01   #8
Muttley
Catch that diesel!

Muttley has far too many pointsMuttley has far too many pointsMuttley has far too many points
I would be looking at LED bulbs now, they are as good as HID's for reliability, easier to fit and bright, but best of all they match the original filament bulb for light source position and size much better so the beam pattern is not disturbed.
Muttley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 12:33   #9
Asce

Asce has 10 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cossie-boy View Post
Are these the exact same ones?
Think i got mine from HID Direct.
Old 06-01-2018, 18:26   #10
Cossie-boy

Cossie-boy has 10 points
Ray - Id like to see a pic when you have fitted them mate

Muttley - But would LED's fit straight into a 2008 MK2?

I just changed the bulb as had a spare H7 from my old MK1...how easy?! like under 5 minutes easily! Cant believe how much room there is compared to me shredding my hands many times on my MK1's!

I shall wait to hear but think deffo HID's or maybe even LED's are the way forward for me
Old 06-01-2018, 21:43   #11
ray

ray has 10 points
Iíll post a before and after pic when theyíre on, wonít be here till next week so Iíll probably stick them on at the weekend.

Old 07-01-2018, 09:35   #12
LCR33

LCR33 has 10 points
HIDs are old tech now. Just go straight to led. My Mk1 has all leds now massive difference over HIDs and no ballasts or holes in the back of the lights. Plus will last a lot longer

Last edited by LCR33; 07-01-2018 at 09:37.
LCR33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 15:46   #13
dMack14

dMack14 has 10 points
What LED H7's are you using LCR? I kind of fancy a set but that many different options!
dMack14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 19:38   #14
LCR33

LCR33 has 10 points
Hi mate

Its these ones

Old 11-01-2018, 20:50   #15
ray

ray has 10 points

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F141658782108

Ok, so for 15 quid I think these are a great buy (even though it now seems that the LEDs are the way to go).

Took about 20 mins to put in, just plug and play really simple. I never cut any holes for the wires just put the covers back on, slightly forced but thereís a tiny gap I didnít have much time to mess about.

The pictures donít do them justice but they are FAR brighter than the original bulbs I had in (which cost more than the kit itself, Phillips bulbs).

Plus, they look cool as balls when you first turn them on, so a very good/cheap mod, though if Iíd have known I would have tried LED Bulbs as they are far less footery. Although the prices do seem a lot more steep.

The ballasts are tiny, due to the way the wires are they donít particularly need to be stuck down but I used some strong Velcro and theyíre well hidden.

Will try get a better picture of a clear road in the dark, overall Iím extremely happy with the result and as advertised no canbus errors.

Old 13-01-2018, 00:47   #16
Muttley
Catch that diesel!

Muttley has far too many pointsMuttley has far too many pointsMuttley has far too many points
Cossie-Boy said

Muttley - But would LED's fit straight into a 2008 MK2?

I can't say for sure, but will try to post again once I've replaced the bulbs in my Altea (the Golf Plus version of the Mk.2 Leon ) I will be looking for LED's, of good quality.

Sorry for the contrived response, for some reason I could not get the Quote function to do what I wanted it to.
Muttley is offline   Reply With Quote