1.9 TDI Cambelt - definitive time to change

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
My cambelt is due at 120,000km (80,000miles) that's for an 04 Leon TDI.

To quote the official maintenance schedule:
- Every 60,000 miles (90,000Km), in addition to inspection service jobs - Toothed belt for camshaft drive: replace (Alhambra model TDI with pump injector only)
- Every 100,000Km, in addition to inspection service jobs - Haldex clutch: replace oil filter (diesel engines only)
- Every 120,000Km, in addition to inspection service jobs - Toothed belt for camshaft drive: replace (only TDI with injector pump except Alhambra model)

I also had that confirmed at the main dealer today after getting a brake switch fixed.

Timing belt interval changed in year 2004 to 80k miles.:yes:

Jan 22, 2007
some may say lala land....
some people will see no harm in doing earlier as it will mean the biggest cost if things go wrong has less chance as looked at well in advance.

i'm happy paying 300 to get fixed every 60k rather than hope it will last another 20k and snap costing me a shed load more to fix a lot more broken bits.

palebluestar

Well, I've picked it up and am struggling to get the smile off of my face since driving it home, nice grin factor :funk:

thanks all.... just putting together a wish list now!!!

Kev M

I'm about to pick up an 04 with 35,000 miles so it's a long way off cambelt change with regards to distance but not timewise if it should be done every four years. What would you recommend?

dirtysac

Mar 2, 2008
Yorkshire
(he was £160, I'd have had to pay £195 at Nationwide Auto, £260 at JBS and god knows what at a local VW dealer). Glynnd from here has used him a lot and pointed him out to me and I'm satisfied if my first visit was anything to go by.

That's a great price for a cambelt change and full service.

Also as far as a can tell the cambelt change is not time limited, granted after 10 years it will more than likely need doing, but as for four years that,s not what my stealer told me. Also they should check the belt on an inspection service anyway which is every two years or 20k miles.

palebluestar

Did they do the belt change for you ?

No although a negotiation on price was agreed, :D, also they said that this would be covered under the 3 month guarantee so I have three months to sort it.

Just spotted this a bit late, congratulations on the purchase. If you can get to Bulwell, there's a guy called Dave Bothwell (DSB Autocare) who I've just taken my TDI to for an 80k service and was very impressed with both the price and the service (he was £160, I'd have had to pay £195 at Nationwide Auto, £260 at JBS and god knows what at a local VW dealer). Glynnd from here has used him a lot and pointed him out to me and I'm satisfied if my first visit was anything to go by.

Whereabouts in Derby are you from? You'll have to keep an eye out in the Central Meets section, there's usually one every 6 weeks or so I think down on Pride Park :)

That sounds good, may well look them up, was that a cambelt change as well as a service?

That's a great price for a cambelt change and full service.

Also as far as a can tell the cambelt change is not time limited, granted after 10 years it will more than likely need doing, but as for four years that,s not what my stealer told me. Also they should check the belt on an inspection service anyway which is every two years or 20k miles.

I actually contacted Seat in Derby (GK Group), they advised that they had recently (2/3 months ago) brought in a blanket policy whereby the belt needs to be changed every 4 years regardless of mileage. :confused:

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
VAG Group as a whole has a 4 year time limit on timing belts (reduced from 5 years a while ago). One dealer not knowing about it is no surprise at all. In fact I'd be surprised if half of them were aware of the correct time and distance requirements for servicing and cambelts.

Czech-m8

I'd go along with the 4 years OR 60,000 miles, whichever comes first.

And its cheap enough to change the water-pump at the same time. Not essential, but recommended ;).

John.

MikeO

Never say die
Mar 16, 2003
Scotland
Visit site
If your hand book is like mine, it "only" gives a mileage (IE. 60k). But if you check with SEAT, they will say "60k, or 4 years" (as previously stated by others). I also checked this with my warranty company last year (got an extended warranty with Warranty Direct)... and they confirmed "60k, or 4 years" else "warranty void". A bit of a bummer, as mine had only done 25k at 4 years old!

And to make it a bit more expensive for you... they recommend that the water pump is changed as well. A decent independent can do both jobs, I got National Autocentre to do mine (still not exactly cheap though).

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
Mine's 4 years old in August, and I estimate it'll be on 14k by then...yes, 14k. I bet my belt will be as fresh as a daisy!

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
I've bought 13 year old cars before that have never had the cambelts changed and the belts were only slightly cracking, if the covers secure and sealed then the belts last longer but if they're exposed to the elements they fall to pieces.

I'm not saying I'm going to leave mine, I'm in the trade so parts and labour are nice and cheap...it'd be silly not to!

sfalcus

Mar 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
£8999 seems a bit steep considering what i've just paid.

£8999 for an 04 Cupra TDi with 38k miles, 1 year dealer warranty and 12 mnths tax.

gonna get my cam belt done in 6 months tie (if its not already done) - dont get the car til tuesday

MikeO

Never say die
Mar 16, 2003
Scotland
Visit site
Mine's 4 years old in August, and I estimate it'll be on 14k by then...yes, 14k. I bet my belt will be as fresh as a daisy!

To be honest... you are probably right. I got them to put the old parts in the boot after doing the job on my car (that way you have some idea that they've actually done something) and the belt, tensioner and pump looked fine. But as viking says "Rubber degrades with time" and better safe than sorry.

The age/mileage is only based on the statistical probability that it may fail, MTBF (Mean Time Between failure) and all that. Plus I expect SEAT (like a lot of manufacturers) err on the side of caution. I think after the high failure rate of belts on some earlier Renaults a while back, manufacturers pulled the time limit in a bit.

Life as usual is an expensive thing. And doubly so when cars are concerned.

Georgel

Aug 10, 2005
Sorry to bring this up. I went to my dealer and they told me to change my cambelt after 4 years. My car has done 56k and will have reached 60k before its 4 years old. I anticipate my mileage to be 65k when the car turns 4 years old. I am planning to leave it till then. Is there any truth behind the 80k or 4 year statement?

TornadoRed

Aug 22, 2004
Saint Paul, Minnesota, USA
Sorry to bring this up. I went to my dealer and they told me to change my cambelt after 4 years. My car has done 56k and will have reached 60k before its 4 years old. I anticipate my mileage to be 65k when the car turns 4 years old. I am planning to leave it till then. Is there any truth behind the 80k or 4 year statement?

Do you have an owner's manual? If so, what interval is recommended?

TDIs sold in North America used to have a 60k mile interval, until 2001. Then an improved belt led to an 80k mile interval; this was followed by the introduction of an improved large idler pulley and a 100k mile interval.

The new 2009 Jetta TDIs with a 2.0-liter common-rail engine have a 120k mile interval.

If this is a bit confusing, just imagine how confused the dealers are. They are not very bright to begin with. If they don't know, then they tend to make up a short interval instead of a long one, because that means more business for them. And then, unless you tell them exactly what you want done, they tend not to replace everything that should be replaced; if one of those unreplaced parts should fail later, that means even more work for them.

The bottom line: follow the manufacturer's maintenance schedule. If a dealer tells you something else, he's ignorant, dishonest, or both.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise