1.2 TSI engine cambelt question

Dec 19, 2023
Hello, I'm due to pick up a 2018 Leon 1.2TSi (110hp) soon and I've been left a bit puzzled by the whole cambelt interval thing.

The car in question has done approx 40k miles (and is approx 5 years old), which on some cars would mean belt change time. This car has not had it done, dealer has not been able to catagorically tell me if it needs one or not (keeps skirting around the subject) and are not going to be doing it before collection.

I'm seeing mixed information online, some seem to be changing them around this time whereas others saying it is a 'lifetime belt'. Should I be pushing for a belt change before collection, the car is priced reasonably so it would probably have to be my cost - or is it not required yet?

It will come with a short 3rd party warranty, but obviously the very worst case scenario is the belt goes soon after purchase and warranty refuse cover due to correct service intervals not being kept!!

Any views appreciated, thanks!

serdar_18fr

May 29, 2021
Hello, I'm due to pick up a 2018 Leon 1.2TSi (110hp) soon and I've been left a bit puzzled by the whole cambelt interval thing.

The car in question has done approx 40k miles (and is approx 5 years old), which on some cars would mean belt change time. This car has not had it done, dealer has not been able to catagorically tell me if it needs one or not (keeps skirting around the subject) and are not going to be doing it before collection.

I'm seeing mixed information online, some seem to be changing them around this time whereas others saying it is a 'lifetime belt'. Should I be pushing for a belt change before collection, the car is priced reasonably so it would probably have to be my cost - or is it not required yet?

It will come with a short 3rd party warranty, but obviously the very worst case scenario is the belt goes soon after purchase and warranty refuse cover due to correct service intervals not being kept!!

Any views appreciated, thanks!

Maintenance manual does not specify a replacement interval for petrol engines in countries with normal air quality.
There's a 120,000 km interval for countries with high dust content.
There is no time interval, such as "4 years or 120,000 km, whichever comes first", it is specified as kilometers only.
So even if you live in a country with high dust content, 40k-miles looks early to replace it.

Attachments

• toothed_belt.png
    toothed_belt.png
    13.3 KB · Views: 59
  • high_dust_countries.png
    high_dust_countries.png
    35.4 KB · Views: 59
Dec 19, 2023
Great thanks for this, I just found the links to those service manuals via this forum and had a flick through. So it does seem VW group do indeed consider it 'lifetime'.

Just thinking ahead then, do most just take their word for it and simply never bother changing them (assuming not high dust location) and are there many reported failures?

Reactions: serdar_18fr
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.