Ibiza tdi cupra smoking

Rich_Derv

Sep 7, 2010
Bedworth
This has probably been done to death. But my recent ibiza cupra is running.

Decat
Straight through exhaust
Mapped

Car has covered 95k

When it sits under boost when driving it slightly smokes...white/blue
Same as when I've sat at a stand still for a while and take off. There's a puff of the same colour smoke that comes out.

I'm unsure where to start as it could be oil from turbo... or valve stem seals..... or jammed injector....

Any tips guys.

mgrays

Dec 9, 2006
Aberdeen
After 100k I would do following;
Decoke inlet manifold and then turn down or block EGR. The heavy breather from the oil crankcase feeds into the inlet manifold and where it meets the EGR exhaust the soot/carbon form the exhaust bonds with the oil mist to form a hard crust that blocks the inlet manifold. Mine was problably 50% blocked at 120k odd which was restricting the power by 10% or so.
Clean the intercooler; I use petrol. This is after the turbo so the oil mist from it and the engine breather tend to pool in it. When you accelerate it picks up this pool of oil and creates a white/blue exhaust colour.. when you then cruise it accumulates into a pool ready for the next boost event. I try and do it every 50k or so; a pain!
Anyway unless you are burning oil i.e. more than a dipstick per oil change it is OK.

Rich_Derv

Sep 7, 2010
Bedworth
After 100k I would do following;
Decoke inlet manifold and then turn down or block EGR. The heavy breather from the oil crankcase feeds into the inlet manifold and where it meets the EGR exhaust the soot/carbon form the exhaust bonds with the oil mist to form a hard crust that blocks the inlet manifold. Mine was problably 50% blocked at 120k odd which was restricting the power by 10% or so.
Clean the intercooler; I use petrol. This is after the turbo so the oil mist from it and the engine breather tend to pool in it. When you accelerate it picks up this pool of oil and creates a white/blue exhaust colour.. when you then cruise it accumulates into a pool ready for the next boost event. I try and do it every 50k or so; a pain!
Anyway unless you are burning oil i.e. more than a dipstick per oil change it is OK.

There's no errors on ecu. I am looking to spend some money on the motor as in full service and water pump and cam belt. I have a hard pipe set and egr delete ready to go on..... So while I'm doing that I think the inlet and cooler will come off and I will clean it out.
Will keep you posted.
I do however want to get a upgraded turbo and updated clutch. I don't want t to break the bank but any reccomendations would be great.

Rich_Derv

Sep 7, 2010
Bedworth
Right so progress so far.... cooler pipes are off. A little oily , removed cooler tried tipping it up but no oil in it. Slight bit of oil in it. Seemed A lot more oil closer to egr end.
Going to clean the cooler tomorrow and refit new hard pipe kit.

Also I'm doing the rear wheel bearings at the same time. Can anyone tell me what size the hub nut is? 32mm?

turbod

Feb 9, 2014
North East
Right so progress so far.... cooler pipes are off. A little oily , removed cooler tried tipping it up but no oil in it. Slight bit of oil in it. Seemed A lot more oil closer to egr end.
Going to clean the cooler tomorrow and refit new hard pipe kit.

Also I'm doing the rear wheel bearings at the same time. Can anyone tell me what size the hub nut is? 32mm?

30mm 12 point socket pal just did one the other week

Rich_Derv

Sep 7, 2010
Bedworth
Nice one. Managed to borrow 27. 30 and 32 just in case....
Ok so if turbo seals are on route.... I fancy going down the hybrid route. Any reccomendations.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Rich_Derv

Sep 7, 2010
Bedworth
Well I took the dirty intercooler into work. A couple of 70 degree washes soon sorted that out. Also rigged up a leak test to make sure it's still sound.
3652df4914c678d02f8009412e1f82d5.jpg
d7dc2030fb5fc083ac3624bb3b8c478e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.