Smoking bonnet?

Sep 7, 2023
Milton Keynes
Hello there,

I have recently bought a 2010 Ibiza 1.4 16V Sport (our first Seat 😍) and noticed an issue that I have not seen before.

It was raining in Milton Keynes yesterday morning and I was stuck in traffic for 30 minutes. That was when I noticed that the bonnet was smoking, wierd i thought.

Anyway I'm hoping a forum member has seen anything similar or have any suggestions.

I don't think the car was overheating as no dashboard light were flashing. I have a feeling that this 1.4 engine runs quite hot, the radiator fan does kick in from time to time. Also, I can't seem to see a coolant temperature indication on the MFA.

Ken 👍

RADIOTWO

Mar 6, 2018
North Derbyshire
Hello there,

I have recently bought a 2010 Ibiza 1.4 16V Sport (our first Seat 😍) and noticed an issue that I have not seen before.

It was raining in Milton Keynes yesterday morning and I was stuck in traffic for 30 minutes. That was when I noticed that the bonnet was smoking, wierd i thought.

Anyway I'm hoping a forum member has seen anything similar or have any suggestions.

I don't think the car was overheating as no dashboard light were flashing. I have a feeling that this 1.4 engine runs quite hot, the radiator fan does kick in from time to time. Also, I can't seem to see a coolant temperature indication on the MFA.

Ken 👍
Are you sure it was Smoke and not steam ?

RADIOTWO

Mar 6, 2018
North Derbyshire
It could be steam but I think it's the 1st car I've noticed it on.
I would not think Milton Keynes has anything to do with it, but you said it was raining ! poss drove through a puddle and water splashed up onto the exhaust and you got some steam.
I assume it has not done it since and if it was Smoke there is a old saying "there is no smoke without fire" and if there was some smoke it would have gone gone up in flames

LeonDan83

Oct 11, 2023
Probably steam, the cold rain on top of a warm engine will cause it. I wouldn’t worry too much unless you get some sort of odour from it.