Locking Wheel Nut

asonda

Nov 5, 2013
I can't believe it...

I don't know where it's gone!!

I had it as I've had new tyres back in February and know I had it after...

The only time it could possibly be lost was when it went back to SEAT Dealer to have a new rack fitted as I've not needed it since but would they have needed to take any wheels off?

What do I do now? Can I get a replacement key or do they all need ripping out with one of those tools?

:cry:

Cookies

May 18, 2014
County Down
Noooooooooooooooooo.

All is not lost chum. Go and have a chat with the folk at your local tyre depot. This is the type of thing they're used to dealing with.

With regard to the lock nut, you can probably order a new one. Whether it would be linked to the VIn number is another question....

Good luck chum.

Cooks

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Sausageinabun

Jul 5, 2014
Manchester
When I bought my car they couldn't find it. So I went to the nearest Seat Stealership, and they had a ring of them which they tried until they found the correct one. I then got a full set off of them, which was paid for by the vendor.

RichL

Oct 21, 2003
Essex, UK
Visit site
I lost the locking wheel nut key on my Golf, I went to the dealers and they had a box of them I tried out until I got the right one. Cost about £15 IIRC.

asonda

Nov 5, 2013
Just called my local dealer.

The chap said it can't be traced by VIN Number he said we do have a set of master ones here but they only work on the most popular styles so don't think they'll fit yours...

Hope he's wrong!

Thursday

The Seat Parts man!
Mar 21, 2014
Yorkshire
Locking wheel nut key's are 'security parts' so they're not linked to VIN number to stop people ordering one for someone elses car, then pinching the wheels!

Most SEAT dealers should have a master set which would be able to match it up and order you a new key, but there usually around £25 or so.

If they're not available (some of them are obsolete already) you've got a choice - either get a new set (around £50) or replace the locking bolts with standard ones (around £12 for 4!).

asonda

Nov 5, 2013
Thanks Guys.

What a weird story I have to tell...

Well went in Saturday and was met with a different chap than the person I'd spoke to before, he was insistent he couldn't do anything until Monday although the service lady said they could see if they could do a match there and then.

He said he has a box of the keys, he'll take a picture and see if there is a match...after he took the picture he then started spouting off about my brake discs, they're unsafe, you'll cause an accident etc which is one of the reasons I wanted to take the wheels off for and said I'll ring you back Monday.

I said I'm sorry but can you check so we can get the ball rolling or if you have a key, I'll buy 4 normal bolts off you now, without hesitation he said we don't have standard bolts in stock and you will be surprised at how many alloys wheels get stolen...(note here I live in one of the safest parts of the country, I don't know of anybody who has had anything nicked at all).

OK I'll go and have a look, 2 minutes later he came out with the exact key I needed and he was darn sure not going to sell me normal bolts, he said I'll ring you monday if I can order the key for you.

So he rings Monday and says can't order the key, a new set is £50 I then asked how much for normal bolts and he said £3 odd each and they have them in stock!!!

I asked him if he could tell me the dimensions of the discs on the car and he said the diameter of the discs are the same it's the widths that are different...I said there are 3 diameters listed for my model so I know there are different diameters, he said no, only the widths/thickness of the discs.

He made me speak to the service lady about the brakes, I explained very heavy corrosion with service area on the disc missing on a 28k car with scoring on one side and bad corrosion on the other and she outright said, well...I can tell you now the corrosion is lack of use and where you live, if you go for a long drive it'll clear up, without even seeing the car!

By this point I was losing the will to live and if I was not a nice person I'd have snapped but explained the car does around 30-40 miles a day usually a bit more. She finally agreed that a technician would look at it in 2 weeks time if we waited or 1 weeks time if it was dropped off (no offer of courtesy car) for them to check the calipers etc.

I just pray and hope that the technicians are better than their office staff. To be fair the service lady was nice but the parts guy had got to me first so put in a non pleasant mood so wasn't being very talkative by the time I got to talk to her.

ref the bolts, I'm going to tell them to replace for standard ones whilst they are checking out the brakes.

Just worried they're going to look at the brakes and refuse to let me have the car back before they put new discs and pads on.

Tonyuk74

Sep 1, 2014
Barnsley
They can't do any work with out your Sayso if they do don't pay for it. They can not hold your car. I can't even stop customers taking there car if it fails it's mot.

asonda

Nov 5, 2013
They can't do any work with out your Sayso if they do don't pay for it. They can not hold your car. I can't even stop customers taking there car if it fails it's mot.

Thanks Tony, it was such a bizarre experience, I've never encountered anything as awkward or off a dealer ever before.

asonda

Nov 5, 2013
Well,

It's gone in today so will see what happens.

I have asked them to change the locking nuts.
Investigate Brakes.
Investigate Bearing Noise.

Will see what happens.

Jimrod

Oct 10, 2014
Well,

It's gone in today so will see what happens.

I have asked them to change the locking nuts.
Investigate Brakes.
Investigate Bearing Noise.

Will see what happens.

Interesting you mention the bearing noise - the pick-up of my Exeo (62 plate, 25k on clock) has been delayed until later this week because on the pre-pick-up inspection the mechanic found a problem with one of the wheel bearings and they're replacing it under warranty. Seems a little early in the life of the car to be having those kinds of problems!

asonda

Nov 5, 2013
Hi,
Just for interest, which dealer is it?

(I hope its not SEAT in Glasgow!!)
Dave.

Nooooooooooooo............Opposite end of the country my friend :)

Interesting you mention the bearing noise - the pick-up of my Exeo (62 plate, 25k on clock) has been delayed until later this week because on the pre-pick-up inspection the mechanic found a problem with one of the wheel bearings and they're replacing it under warranty. Seems a little early in the life of the car to be having those kinds of problems!

Got the car back and they reckon it's the rear tyres as they've worn. I am a bit sceptical on this as the noise starts after a period of driving, wouldn't tyre noise be there immediately?

They have done the nuts thankfully and dont think there's anything wrong with the callipers. So I'll do the discs and pads myself.

jcbmally

Started with nowt and still have most of it left.
Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
Nooooooooooooo............Opposite end of the country my friend :)

Got the car back and they reckon it's the rear tyres as they've worn. I am a bit sceptical on this as the noise starts after a period of driving, wouldn't tyre noise be there immediately?

They have done the nuts thankfully and dont think there's anything wrong with the callipers. So I'll do the discs and pads myself.

You do get noise from the rear with worn tyres, I have a friend in the "tyre" service world who confirmed this, Exeo is same as A4 and both are gits to track and balance.
If its a bearing, you usually hear it better when weight of the car is transferred from side to side i.e. go right around a roundabout :blink: and if the noise gets quieter/louder then its usually a tell tale sign the bearing is on its way out.

Last edited: