Should I buy a Cupra K1???

Allsebrook2006

Mar 24, 2014
Worksop
Hi everyone. I've owned a Mk1 Cupra R 225 for a couple of years now and I love it but the mileage is getting a bit high now. I've been looking at trading my car in for a Mk2 Cupra K1 or Cupra R. Is the power difference just down to a remap and intercooler or are there other differences in the engine department? Any info is greatly appreciated.

ZiggyEP3

Jan 28, 2013
UK
The engine itself on the Mk2 albeit K1 Cupra and Cupra R is the same the intercooler is a tad better from what i read on the R but the power gains that people are getting is from remaps though yes.

Should you get one erm YES ;)

LeonCR

Oct 22, 2009
actually the Cupra R will have a slightly better engine than the K1, not a massive amount in it to be fair but its definitely stronger

Zipcode

Jun 23, 2008
Brackley, Northant's
Where are you based? I'd recommend you go for a test drive in either a K1 or Cupra R or find someone who won't mind taking you out for a drive.

I've had my cupra R nearly a year and have no regrets!

Performance wise i don't think you are going to really notice the difference between a stock K1 and a stock LCR, it's really a choice between spec that you are making and I think the different in trim / options have more of a day to day impact on the experience than 20bhp.

actually the Cupra R will have a slightly better engine than the K1, not a massive amount in it to be fair but its definitely stronger

in what way elaborate?
I have heard similar before but with nothing said to back up such statements.
Im pretty sure the annoying pcv system is slightly different but im not even sure if thats on the late mk2 or if its just on the mk3 cupra.:shrug:

To answer the op i think you should go for a mk2 personally i think the chassis alone is worth it the independent rear suspension imo is brilliant in the bends and very forgiving over bumps too.

Last edited:

LeonCR

Oct 22, 2009
in what way elaborate?
I have heard similar before but with nothing said to back up such statements.
Im pretty sure the annoying pcv system is slightly different but im not even sure if thats on the late mk2 or if its just on the mk3 cupra.:shrug:

To answer the op i think you should go for a mk2 personally i think the chassis alone is worth it the independent rear suspension imo is brilliant in the bends and very forgiving over bumps too.

wow talk about someone waking up the wrong side of bed

the K1 will have a BWA engine IIRC

the Cupra R is CDL

1Toomanycars

Dec 29, 2014
Somerset
I would say it depends on how much you want to spend, whether you prefer one look or the other, and the spec you want.

From my own recent (December) purchase of a Mk2 Cupra R, when comparing the 3 - Cupra, K1 and LCR , as has already been said, a remap takes all 3 to the same power.

The genuine K1's only seem to differ from Cupra's with the bodykit and exhaust (plus any of the few options the original owner specced), but seem to command quite a price premium compared with a Cupra or a Cupra with the BTCC Kit.

The LCR on the other hand was a run out model of the Mk2 with Full Diamond Stitched Leather Interior, Hard Backed Seats with a Gloss Black Finish, Xenons with AFL (xenons were only standard, I believe, at certain times in the Cupra's lifespan and optional at others), the power increase you already know about, and an Electronic Diff (XDS).

Most (but definitely not all) then seemed to have the Tech Pack, which adds Front PDC,Sat Nav with DAB and Bluetooth, you may find one with a sunroof, but that seems rare on any Leon, and I think there was another "Pack" but I don't know what this included.

Because it was a run out model, thus at the end of the model cycle, it is obviously newer, and therefore more expensive than either of the others potentially.

Most LCR's seem to be 14k+, K1's 10-12k but Cupra's from as low as 6k, all mileage dependent obviously.

As for the LCR, if your budget will stretch, I would definitely recommend one, but I am biased afterall.

LeonCR

Oct 22, 2009
I would say it depends on how much you want to spend, whether you prefer one look or the other, and the spec you want.

From my own recent (December) purchase of a Mk2 Cupra R, when comparing the 3 - Cupra, K1 and LCR , as has already been said, a remap takes all 3 to the same power.

The genuine K1's only seem to differ from Cupra's with the bodykit and exhaust (plus any of the few options the original owner specced), but seem to command quite a price premium compared with a Cupra or a Cupra with the BTCC Kit.

The LCR on the other hand was a run out model of the Mk2 with Full Diamond Stitched Leather Interior, Hard Backed Seats with a Gloss Black Finish, Xenons with AFL (xenons were only standard, I believe, at certain times in the Cupra's lifespan and optional at others), the power increase you already know about, and an Electronic Diff (XDS).

Most (but definitely not all) then seemed to have the Tech Pack, which adds Front PDC,Sat Nav with DAB and Bluetooth, you may find one with a sunroof, but that seems rare on any Leon, and I think there was another "Pack" but I don't know what this included.

Because it was a run out model, thus at the end of the model cycle, it is obviously newer, and therefore more expensive than either of the others potentially.

Most LCR's seem to be 14k+, K1's 10-12k but Cupra's from as low as 6k, all mileage dependent obviously.

As for the LCR, if your budget will stretch, I would definitely recommend one, but I am biased afterall.

might be worth noting that the Tech pack on the LCR became standard in 2011 (xenon's, Nav, Front sensors) so i would always look for one with that

Allsebrook2006

Mar 24, 2014
Worksop
I do like the leather but I also love the Cupra hard back seats. The K1 I've seen is a 2008 with 42000 miles on the clock. Its actually at a ford dealership for £8500 but I'm not sure if it's an original K1 or a dealership model. I do know that it hasn't got the AUX socket on the centre console but I'm not sure if all K1's have this anyway.

Sorry for sounding stupid but does the K1 have the same spec suspension and brakes as the Cupra R?

Thanks for all the feedback people.

WeeG

Nov 5, 2008
Largs , Ayrshire
I do like the leather but I also love the Cupra hard back seats. The K1 I've seen is a 2008 with 42000 miles on the clock. Its actually at a ford dealership for £8500 but I'm not sure if it's an original K1 or a dealership model. I do know that it hasn't got the AUX socket on the centre console but I'm not sure if all K1's have this anyway.

Sorry for sounding stupid but does the K1 have the same spec suspension and brakes as the Cupra R?

Thanks for all the feedback people.

The cupra r and cupra surprisingly have different brake pad codes. But essentially the brakes are the same. Suspension on the LCR is slightly lower.

Main differences between cupra R/cupra-k1

Cupra R has S3 intercooler slightly more efficient than K1
cupra R has longer final gear ratios. Cupra R has heat treated pistons and an improved can on the CDL

The rest are cosmetic.

LCR -265ps and 258 lbs/ft torque
Cupra/K1- 240 ps and 236 lbs/ft torque

Allsebrook2006

Mar 24, 2014
Worksop
The cupra r and cupra surprisingly have different brake pad codes. But essentially the brakes are the same. Suspension on the LCR is slightly lower.

Main differences between cupra R/cupra-k1

Cupra R has S3 intercooler slightly more efficient than K1
cupra R has longer final gear ratios. Cupra R has heat treated pistons and an improved can on the CDL

The rest are cosmetic.

LCR -265ps and 258 lbs/ft torque
Cupra/K1- 240 ps and 236 lbs/ft torque

Thanks for the info. Do you know how I can find out if the car I'm looking at is a proper K1?

Jan 4, 2015
Go for a facelift Cupra over the K1. The difference of the interior between the 2 is night and day. Plus you get the better rear end xenon headlights lights. The tech pack is a must as well.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members