Ibiza Fresca 1.4 Heavy clutch and gears

Shendry

Hi guy's

Having bought my self a Toledo I bought my girlfriend an Old Ibiza on an S plate. Fully MOT'd for a year and serviced, with 6 months Tax from of all things a KIA dealer.

Anyway, I am not as savvy as I should be and the only reservation about the car was the fact that even for me, a 14st 6ft 25 year old male, the clutch pedale was very stiff and real effprt was eeded to disengage the Plates to change gear.

I was told that this was wait for it, a Self adjusting clutch, and that this would adjust in a matter of time. Fine I though so I bought it.

6 Months later and the gear box is as stiff as the clutch now, when you change gear you can hear a clunky metal sound as if your moving metal bricks about, and the clutch is a real struggle for my girlfriend to engage etc. It's now at the point that the clutch doesn;t hold the engine from the biting point and when fully depressed the car wants to ince forward, so at the lights it has to come out of gear.

To say the car is in good nick other than that is an understatement and when it's moving it's fine, but with these annoying problems.

Anything simple I could do to remedy or even help this? If it is a straight new gear box and clutch we are needing, then we have been stung by a dodgy salesman, but hopefully the brains that be out there can come up with something that may assist.

Thanks folks

G223

Dec 6, 2007
sounds like a fu**ed clutch cable to me, i dunno if its a self adjusting cable on ibizas i know mines not, best thing to do is try and space out the clutch cable, where it mounts on the leaver on the gearbox housing and see if it makes a difference

richy_t

Dec 9, 2007
when i had my 1.1 it was abit like that very hevy clutch. i cjanged the cabel and it was like a new car. they are only about £20 not goin 2 brake the bank worth a try.

MarkW

Chris
Apr 4, 2007
Edingburgh
I wish I didnt have a self adjusting clutch. I changed mine over on the pratically all cars I have as they are usually about £10/15 and makes it feel like driving a new car...

The one I have now though is a ******* self adjuster and from what I remember I was told only Seat sell em now and they are £40/£50 if not more!

Shendry

Thank's folks, will give this a try. Also the on 02 light is flashing, I imagine this means it has not been serviced as advised by the sales person. Sounds good, but does not explai the clunky sounding gear box.

will let you know anyway. Happy motoring.

Scott

G223

Dec 6, 2007
dont worry about it mine has flashed IN02 since 99 no one knows how to reset them besides vw garages lol

richy_t

Dec 9, 2007
i do. turn ignition on hold down trip and turn ignition off release the trip and the in will be flashing you can keep presing the trip to get other options pick the 1 you r reseting and hold down the clock button and weeeeeeeee there you go.

Shendry

I have a toledo and it went in for new keys as lost them in oslo. Drove away from the garage when picked ip up (after 9 weeks waiting) and noticed I had shed 30k miles from my display! Then the thing cut out with ticking behind the dash and the battery light flashing.

It starts then does the same, no dip in revs just on the OFF.

anyone know what the garage did that could have caused this while doing the key tuning? as i never had this prob before?

And whats the deal with shedding miles?

My thoughts were loose connection when re assembling?

Any thoughts?

scott

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
6 Months later and the gear box is as stiff as the clutch now, when you change gear you can hear a clunky metal sound as if your moving metal bricks about, and the clutch is a real struggle for my girlfriend to engage etc. It's now at the point that the clutch doesn;t hold the engine from the biting point and when fully depressed the car wants to ince forward, so at the lights it has to come out of gear.

Sorry to say it but that could be, well probably is a broken/about to break pedal box.

When mine was about to break the biting point of the clutch was at the floor. Then the pedal box broke.

These are prone to breaking and alot of people on here have has the problem. To fix you have two options, either fit a whole new pedal box, which is the expensive option. The best option is to bolt the old one back together and reinforce with some extra welds.

Also change the clutch and the clutch cable and it will be a totally different car.

Craig.

P.S On the 1.4 its a manual adjusting clutch cable, not self adjusting!

Shendry

Thanks mate...

scott

Anyone know anyting about my other comment above?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members