Diesel Filter Is Black

Compo1

Jul 19, 2010
Hi Lads

Last twice ive changed my diesel filter it has been black real .

Is this normal or is this a sign of a problem ?

Compo1

Jul 19, 2010
Really ? Always run on Shell fuelsave or if im pushed Jet !

Anything i can do to get rid ? Would imagine flushing is a proper mare .

AGTDI

Jan 16, 2016
All this supermarket fuel vs normal fuel is almost certainly a load of crap, it all comes from the safe refineries, the only thing that could perhaps differ is storage but I don't it differs that much. I changed my filter on my pd105 BLS engine 105bhp 1.9tdi and it was also black, not worried on bit continue to do 1000 miles a week on tesco ful like i've been doing for the last 18 months :)

No it isnt. I've even seen the growths that can grow in tanks off bio fuel, also the water in the diesel due to it not having the right adertives' which is also down to the price too.

Last edited:

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
It's been well documented and proven by various sources that premium fuel is superior to supermarkets own branded stuff.

The tanks are compartmented for transportation and the fuel mixed with the appropriate additives to thin (supermarket) or improve (shell, BP, some premium supermarket fuels such as tesco 99) the end product.

Black fuel on a pd engine is usually down to 1 of 2 things:

-cross oil/fuel contamination from a failed fuel pump gasket
-blow back past the injector seals which contaminates the fuel with carbon

removal of some of the fuel and a settle test can confirm which problem is present.

Compo1

Jul 19, 2010
It's been well documented and proven by various sources that premium fuel is superior to supermarkets own branded stuff.

The tanks are compartmented for transportation and the fuel mixed with the appropriate additives to thin (supermarket) or improve (shell, BP, some premium supermarket fuels such as tesco 99) the end product.

Black fuel on a pd engine is usually down to 1 of 2 things:

-cross oil/fuel contamination from a failed fuel pump gasket
-blow back past the injector seals which contaminates the fuel with carbon

removal of some of the fuel and a settle test can confirm which problem is present.

Take the filter out of the housing and the fuel left in the housing looks fine not black or contaminated looking..

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.