Votes: 18 42.9%
  • No leaking at all

Votes: 21 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TechNick

Jul 11, 2001
Hi Dean,

Mine hasn't got to the stage where they've actually leaked into the car, but there is definately a build up of water behind the rubber seal at the base of the door, that drops onto your feet when you open the door! :eek:

I'd imagine that, if left long enough, it would actually start to trickle into the foot well...

Is this the same problem that you're experiencing, or a different form of leak?

My local dealer has performed the modification to my seals (cut bigger drainage holes in the rubber), but it needs to go back again as the water's still building up! :(

Nick.

Nobby

Mines exactly the same too. The water builds up between the seal and the door and if left there, eventually (with heavy rain I think) runs into the footwells.

:mad:

But have you noticed that the water build up stems from the door trim. I used to think that the door wasn't draining properly, however it's not that on my car. I think that the water somehow gets into the inner layer of the door (between the inner door skin and the door trim). My rear doors collect water in the space between trim and inner door skin. If I press the lower part of the trim to make a small gap, water gushes out.

As a test, when it next rains try this. Open your door, looking for the usual water collection on the sill. Then quickly check the bottom of the trim for any drips or wetness.

I used to think that the water build up was just down to the seals being too good but I've changed my thoughts on this now.

I have not yet detected much water getting into the car BUT the build up of water inside my doors cannot be doing them any good over the long term.

Obviously if it's only a select few with the door leak peoblems then great as there must be a way of fixing them.

As this topic seems to re-appear now and then, I wanted to finally get to the point where it's recognised as a design flaw or where there is a definate dealer fix.

Thanks to all that participate:cheers:

I've voted for "Some doors leak", as the front pasenger door did used to leak into the footwell, but my dealer fixed it under warranty. In fact they replaced all 4 door seals at the same time for good measure (bl**dy good dealer, Cheshunt Motor Co).

Had no problems since. Thought I'd best vote for 'some' rather than 'none' though, as it lends weight to the argument that SEAT should sort this from the factory, not have to fix it under warranty later, inconveniencing us all.

kjf

May 11, 2001
Wigan, Lancs
Visit site
I agree with everything that Dean has said - I too get a build up
of water under the door (who doesn't) but I think that it gets in under the seal which runs along the plastic - push down on it and water seeps out.

I am now totally fed up with the leaks - it has been back to the dealer twice and the leaks have only become more noticeable - what is going on ?!

The only thing saving me at the moment are my rubber mats - the next (already had holes cut in seals & doors sealed with silicone)fix is to take the door trim off & seal the door from within ??? Not
sure whether I like the sound of this, previous attempts have
caused the door to stick !

I really hope that SEAT UK comes up with a better solution to this common problem - a problem which is ruining the reputation of an otherwise superb car.

dreamer

Nov 5, 2001
Essex Boy
Visit site
I did have leeks on all four doors but they were down to the drainage of the doors. I've not had any problem with water actually entering the door itself.

I do know though that when the car went in for the drainage holes to be cut bigger, the dealer re-sealed the inner doors with silicone as a matter of course.

The doors were done a year ago now and I've not had any more problems since (touch wood).

andyb

Admin -SCN Canada:)
Aug 29, 2001
Vancouver
www.andyblackmoredesign.com
not yet anyway,,, will look next time it rains. Mines a Sep 2001 build, so dont know if this was fixed by then. If it is, then that means Seat has accepted there is a problem

I think writing to Auto-Express as well would do some good. Probably get a bit of PR for the site as well

sportbilly

thinking out loud
Oct 8, 2001
in my car
Visit site
I have no voted due to the confusion between the leaks but I do get the build up of water at the bottom of the door and once opens pisses onto the floor. It's not rained heavy for a while hear so not noticed it recently but it did catch me out the first time!! :mad:

Tony_Essex

Nov 27, 2001
Essex
Visit site
Just a thought...has anyone had leaky doors on a 2002 model year Leon? Mine doesn't appear to have leaked at all, maybe Seat has fixed the problem... Or maybe I am just stupid and don't notice a soaking wet carpet when I drive along?

Don't have to be stupid not to notice. The thing is, how many times do you sit in a seat/open a door other than those for the driver? More to the point, how often do you put your hand on the carpet/mats to notice they're damp?

I didn't notice a leak until I read about them on here. When I checked I found the wet mat. A couple of days later I saw a trickle of water running down as well, but before that I just hadn't been looking for it.

In my old Rover, damp carpets showed up because the inside of the car was always damp and steamed up quickly. The Leon's air-con/climate control makes that less prominent though.

I've seen many people talk about their dealers cutting the door seals to rectify the problem and many have said that this didn't cure it. My dealer cured it first go by replacing the seals altogether with a seal that looks different to the originals. Perhaps people should ask their dealers about this, and if they question it, perhaps get them to contact Cheshunt Motor Co to ask how they did it. (Or if you're close enough just get Cheshunt to do it! ;) )

Phill

dave

May 21, 2001
Scotland
Visit site
But have you noticed that the water build up stems from the door trim. I used to think that the door wasn't draining properly, however it's not that on my car. I think that the water somehow gets into the inner layer of the door (between the inner door skin and the door trim). My rear doors collect water in the space between trim and inner door skin. If I press the lower part of the trim to make a small gap, water gushes out.

Same as me mate, i voted some doors leak, its only my drivers door that has a prob

dave

StevoWarby

Jun 19, 2001
Cwmbran, South Wales
Visit site
I hate to chuck a cat amongst the pigeons guys and gals, but I've been a member of this site since June, and I have seen many topics and thread about leaking doors and various "fixes" from cutting a hole in the bottom of the rubber seal to incorrectly fitted pollen filters...

I've had my Cupra since September 3rd and have regularly checked the doors etc during rainy weather (I live in South Wales, so believe me I get plenty of rain!).. I've never had water leaking in to the car, or water coming out the bottom of the door when I open/close it...

The fact that this was supposed to be sorted and fixed by Seat and the dealers over herea f ew months back, I find it surprising that the newist cars still have this problem...

/moaning mode off.

Stevo.

Is there a definative dealer fix to this problem though?
Previous posts suggest that there have been several fixes tried by dealers, not always fixing the problem.

The good news though that if some cars are perfectly ok then there MUST BE A FIX OR CURE ;) .

My car is an import, and I have not taken it to the dealers yet as the good old DVLA keep getting my VIN number incorrect (5 times and counting:mad: ). Although at my last service I asked about the doors problem and they were not aware of it (they have only been open a few months though).

Basically, even though it's 50:50 ish on the votes so far, I will still contact SEAT UK (next week after some more voting) and see if they at least recognise a possible fault on some Leons.

Thanks to everyone that has taken the time to reply to this "well worn" topic of discussion.:cheers:

Last edited:

uffeg

My dealer told me that Seat made a change of the doors in November (w. 46). That is, the 2002 model shall not have the problem. I really hopes so, because my Seat dealer has ordered a new car as replacement to my late friday afternoon car. I have had about 30 more or less serious problems and now (after i year) Seat is replacing it.
That I call good service:D :)

uffeg

Originally posted by Dean Bufton
uffeg,
My car is a 2002 model but was built before November (took delivery in August 2001) - it leaks.:(

Ooops, thats right. That means that some 2002 cars leak, that is cars built before November. Is there anyone out there that has a car built after November 2001 and still leaks? It would be interesting to see if the change in the production really works.