Ibiza Fuel Tank Capacity

minnis

Hi,

Just filled up my Ibiza 1.2TSi.

Most fill-ups have been around 40 litres. I usually let the light go on and fill up fairly soon, usually with 1 or 2 small bars remaining, and about 20 or so miles to empty. But the previous fill up I managed to get in a whopping 51.91 litres?

Now, I thought that the Ibiza only had a capacity of 45 litres, and that the light came on with 7 litres left?

Any ideas what happened here? I got a few extra miles so doubt it was a dodgy fuel filler, but where did the extra fuel go? This time I kept on filling until it clicked about 5 times, it was pretty obvious that no more was gonna go in and I only got 42 litres.

Thanks!

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Hi,

Most fill-ups have been around 40 litres. I usually let the light go on and fill up fairly soon, usually with 1 or 2 small bars remaining, and about 20 or so miles to empty. But the previous fill up I managed to get in a whopping 51.91 litres?

Now, I thought that the Ibiza only had a capacity of 45 litres, and that the light came on with 7 litres left?

Any ideas what happened here? I got a few extra miles so doubt it was a dodgy fuel filler, but where did the extra fuel go? This time I kept on filling until it clicked about 5 times, it was pretty obvious that no more was gonna go in and I only got 42 litres.

Thanks!

Many of us "VENT" the tank when filling to use up the air space still above the normal full reading on a tank.
I regularly get around £74 in mine when I fill it ( currently that is around 55 ltrs of fuel )
When "vented" filling - I regularly then see 200 miles before the fuel gauge drops the first bar.

minnis

Many of us "VENT" the tank when filling to use up the air space still above the normal full reading on a tank.
I regularly get around £74 in mine when I fill it ( currently that is around 55 ltrs of fuel )
When "vented" filling - I regularly then see 200 miles before the fuel gauge drops the first bar.

Okay, I must have done this that time without realising then!
How exactly do you "vent" a tank?
I did notice that this fill up the fuel gauge stayed at full for longer than normal.

Thanks for your replies!

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
in the filler neck at the 3 o clock position you'll see a small tab. When you think the tank is full push that with the fuel pump nozzle and you'll hear air rushing out. This allows you to squeeze a few more litres in.

May 19, 2011
I managed to get in a whopping 51.91 litres?

can beat that and could have kept on going

gy3e3aqa.jpg

karacayasin

Jun 21, 2014
+7 liter capacity is additional for tank. But you must get maximum 45 liters especially in hot days.

Hi,

Thanks!

Hi everybody, I know this is an old thread but this very issue puzzled me too. I have just acquired a 2003 Ibiza 1.2 and it came with about half a tank of petrol. This morning the needle got down to a quarter so I thought I'd fill it up to be on the safe side until I know the car a bit better. I was amazed to get over 48 litres in the tank. That was without really trying I just let it fill 'til it kicked out then wait and fill 'til it kicks out again. I did that five times until it kicked out straightaway and I left it there. This is what I have done with all my cars because I monitor the fuel consumption constantly so try to fill to the same level each time. I re-read the owners book and it said 45 litres with 7 litres as reserve which I took to mean the 7 was included in the 45 so I was only expecting to get about 30 litres in. I can't quite see how it would be unsafe to ovefill, it might easily vent fuel out on a hot day if left ultrafull or it might even spill out on a sharp left turn but I'm not sure about unsafe as mentioned in this thread.
Anyway, what do you think?
Cheers!
John

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
It seems to me that when I overfill to much (like 10l) the mpg gets worse, someone else with the same impression?

PS: I have no actual data to prove this, its just an impression I have.

Last edited:

Big-Pete

Always on the Limit
Aug 8, 2010
It seems to me that when I overfill to much (like 10l) the mpg gets worse, someone else with the same impression?

PS: I have no actual data to prove this, its just an impression I have.

used to get 160miles before the 1st bar was gone when i brimmed it.

and course the mpg will be worse u have an extra 10kg weight in the car.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I think that that could be quite a silly thing to do on a petrol engined car as if you do not drive off and run down that extra fuel immediately - instead drive a few yards and park up for a day or so, in summer the volume of the fuel will increase and when you start the car the EVAP system will end up drawing liquid petrol into its carbon can, and that could damage it in a way that you would need to replace it.