05 FR Ibiza pressure in cooling system!

Tam_171190

Hi all,
Recently bought a 05 fr tdi ibiza with 120k. Recently iv noticed the coolant was at the minimum mark so I went to top it up. Even when stone cold, if I open the expansion bottle there is quite a bit of pressure and coolant will gargle out,however once I open it the coolant level is at the max mark. Initially I though it was the headgasket but I have not lost any coolant or have any overheating issues. The car will heat up normally and sit around a needles thickness below 90 degrees and won't budge from there! Also the coolant is clean, as is the oil. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tam

Tam_171190

Egr cooler? If its any help the box with the connecter going to it which covers the drivers side strut makes quite an audible whine? I don't recall my pd100 making this noise. I know there are quite a few threads on pressured systems but I couldn't find any with a definate outcome. When you say block test??
Thanks
Tam

Tam_171190

Hi,
No coolant loss whatsoever. Is it possible the system is airlocked? The belt and waterpump where changed before I got it. maybe they didn't bleed the coolant? Is there a bleed screw on this engine? The vacuum box isn't a loud whine but I defently can hear a noise from it if I put my ear to it. The car has never overheated once and when warm the coolant pipes arnt rock hard!
Strange one this.

Tam

Edit- i can also hear a whooshing noise briefly at around 1900rpm under acceleration. It only lasts for a second. And if the car idles long enough a whistle comes into it almost like a mufflerectomy whistle but will go away once revved. Is there any tell tale signs that the Egr cooler is knackered by looking at it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tam_171190

Either way I'd like to do away with the whole system and go from there. Is there any kits you could recommend that would do away with the egr and the cooler?
Thanks

Tam_171190

Thanks sssstew helpful link. Contacted allards but they only do an egr delete kit but nothing to remove the cooler. Any ideas?
Thanks

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
you only need a piece of metal pipe to bridge the small coolant line and to re-locate the matrix pipes (the use of pipes from another model without a cooler is what i used on my leon).

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members