Go for it or avoid?

Scarffyyy

Feb 10, 2018
Hello everyone,
I'm new here so apologies if this is in the wrong thread and I appreciate any advice I receive.
Right now for my question.
I'm in the market for a Mk1 Cupra R but currently my budget is only £2,500 or there abouts.
I've come across this one fairly local to me, here's the description of the listing;
Sadly this car is a CAT D but fully repaired. Light front end damage due to hitting a fox and as it is now quite a rare car Seat wanted to charge through the roof for a new bumper so they wrote it off. I do have pictures to prove how minimal the damage was. Well looked after inside and out in, very good condition for its age. Selling as i need a diesel for commuting to work. 96k on the clock, MOT till OCT 18. The car is modified as follows: REVO stage 2 remap 270 bhp 300 lbft of torque, 3" turbo back cobra exhaust system with 200 cell sport cat, lowered 40mm all round on springs and shocks, whiteline rear anti roll bar, gearbox engine mount poly bushed, big bore intake pipe, forge recirculation valve, D1 spec oil temp and boost gauges, EBC dimpled and grooved discs front and rear, 10mm wheel spacers on front and 15mm on rear, 5k HID kit. I brought the car with 63k on the clock and in this time its had: new turbo and oil feed pipe at 68k fitted by AMD Tuning, new rear callipers, valve cover gasket replaced, 4 new coil packs at 80k (common fault), oil pick up pipe replaced (common fault), all door locks replaced (common fault), all door inner panels re-sealed (common fault), front wheel bearings replaced, front and rear top mounts replaced, front lower ball joints replaced, front wish bone bushes replaced, cam belt changed at 60k all receipts and rolling road print out to prove. Black, 5+ owners, £2,500
but as you can see it was a Cat D write off but apparently he has proof of damage and repairs.
It already has all the mods I would like to do myself at some point so that would save me a bit of money.
So should I give it a chance or not risk it, being a previous write off and just save up for a bit longer?
Thanks for your time and any advice you may have.
David

cg82lee@gmail.

cg82lee
Feb 17, 2015
Just double check insurance and maybe pay for a standard HPi check to confirm what your being told
£2500 is a lot to lose lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scarffyyy

Feb 10, 2018
Thanks for the reply.
I've already got a insurance quote and it's cheaper to insure than other Cupra R's I've got a quote on?
If i was to purchase the car I would definitely make sure to get a full check.

cg82lee@gmail.

cg82lee
Feb 17, 2015
I personally went for a standard un-abused one , and did the mods myself , as they generally had better mechanically histories and hadn’t been thrashed ,

Scarffyyy

Feb 10, 2018
That's what I'm ideally looking for but the low millage un-abused ones I've seen in my area are fetching around the £5k mark, which is just too much for me.

cg82lee@gmail.

cg82lee
Feb 17, 2015
That's what I'm ideally looking for but the low millage un-abused ones I've seen in my area are fetching around the £5k mark, which is just too much for me.

Expand your search area , I searched and ended up driving a round trip of almost 200 miles lol , but I have the car I wanted and a great start point for my plans

cg82lee@gmail.

cg82lee
Feb 17, 2015
Keep looking , expand your search , the cars are out there , mine was last minute , after almost giving up and looking at 10 different cars , then one came up , and I ran for it ,

Scarffyyy

Feb 10, 2018
Thanks for all the replies,
Seems it would be best if I just keep looking and save up a little longer.
Thanks once again

Hedgehog Dodger

Aug 28, 2016
Depends mate.

Has the chap got photos of the damage. Is it well repaired. Is it mechanically good (service history).

A Cat c or d (which has changed now with ne classifications) wouldnt bother me.

About 18 years ago I bought an immaculate low milage mr2 turbo. Rev 2 with 280HP and 30k on clock. Full history including in japan. I knew they guy who owned it and he drove it summer only averaging 50miles a week. Anyway when i bought it wihin 2 months I blew the engine as someone jacked the car up on the sump and crushed the pickup pipe.

All I am saying is that sometimes even when everything checks out something might happen. There mechanical vehicles that will fail.

If you cannot stretch your budget then this is your only option.

ray

Jan 7, 2016
Go and see it, take it a drive.

As for it already being modified, you can quickly tell how well a car has been maintained with service history and just having a look around and under the bonnet.

I wouldn’t be phased by the cat d stuff, I used to buy cars from the auctions that were cat ds, I had a my zr and it has paint stripper poured over it, no mechanic issues at all and once painted was a perfect car, same can be said for many other cars I had

They are fantastic cars, I had one that had a list of mods like the one you mentioned and was sweet as a nut, I’m sure it had about 100k on the clock when I got it too and never missed a beat.

Scarffyyy

Feb 10, 2018
Just called the guy to get some more info.
The car has no service history and he has no receipts for the repair work, so I think it would be best if I give this one a miss.
Thanks for all your replies.

ray

Jan 7, 2016
Sounds like he’s bought it from an auction site as the downfall is they don’t come with service history so it’s just down to your luck.

Good luck, mind post some pictures when you get one. One of the best cars I’ve had.

Scarffyyy

Feb 10, 2018
Depends mate.

Has the chap got photos of the damage. Is it well repaired. Is it mechanically good (service history).

A Cat c or d (which has changed now with ne classifications) wouldnt bother me.

About 18 years ago I bought an immaculate low milage mr2 turbo. Rev 2 with 280HP and 30k on clock. Full history including in japan. I knew they guy who owned it and he drove it summer only averaging 50miles a week. Anyway when i bought it wihin 2 months I blew the engine as someone jacked the car up on the sump and crushed the pickup pipe.

All I am saying is that sometimes even when everything checks out something might happen. There mechanical vehicles that will fail.

If you cannot stretch your budget then this is your only option.
I can stretch my budget to around £4k but that would have to wait until June time as I need a car by the weekend.
Just thought I'd look to see whats about for the £2.5k mark.

cg82lee@gmail.

cg82lee
Feb 17, 2015
I can stretch my budget to around £4k but that would have to wait until June time as I need a car by the weekend.
Just thought I'd look to see whats about for the £2.5k mark.

There are a few mk2 Cupra R cars around for £2.5k , check autotrader for some quick wins
Shpock
Gumtree
eBay
Preloved
Forums for sale sections
And local free ads etc , I found mine on shpock , as someone had posted it as a seat Leon cupur , so no one had rang him ha ha , I turned up and he sold it for a decent price as he didn’t think anyone was interested lol , and I was about to give up my search !

ray

Jan 7, 2016
I’m assuming you mean mk1 cupra r? If not, please show me

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.