Kev's Mk2 Leon Cupra R now APR stage 2+

betty_swollox

Richie
Feb 15, 2011
Washington
I agree with all of this.

Just think if you can get that Evoms off the mk5 forum you'll save nearly £200 and you could spend that on something else like second hand ARB's, put it towards a set of TD's, SuperPro ALK and the list goes on and on.

I know mate I know :confused:

If I'm not gna notice any difference in gains then I don't think I'll be too miffed if its a bit quieter too.

Will see what nige comes back with in regards to the exhaust, if its defo going to be ready soon then I will wait before getting induction kit

Aug 6, 2009
cumbria
I know mate I know :confused:

If I'm not gna notice any difference in gains then I don't think I'll be too miffed if its a bit quieter too.

Will see what nige comes back with in regards to the exhaust, if its defo going to be ready soon then I will wait before getting induction kit

From what the guy said yesterday and Nige said this morning it doesn't sound far off, but I'm sure we'll know by the end of the week from what Nige said.
Well if you wait till we go to BCS I'll take you out in my car and you'll be able hear my Evoms 1st hand.

betty_swollox

Richie
Feb 15, 2011
Washington
From what the guy said yesterday and Nige said this morning it doesn't sound far off, but I'm sure we'll know by the end of the week from what Nige said.
Well if you wait till we go to BCS I'll take you out in my car and you'll be able hear my Evoms 1st hand.

Ahhhhh sounds like a plan mate ;)

That evoms will have gone by then tbf but at least I'll know whether its loud enough for me!

duncinascoob

Jun 28, 2010
Scotland
LOL. We are here to spend your cash and still save you cash at the same time ;) :D

Honestly, on Wide Open Throttle the EvoMS is loud and the flutter on light lift of is great. You hear the dump from the re-circ when you lift off under boost and if you are quick through the gears you hear the mix of the too as there is a little compressor stall :)

It does everything you want from an induction kit. I've never heard of one fail or give an issue.

If I'm honest most intake changes seem to be "keeping up with the joneses" or "whats hot at the minute".
The Evoms has been tried and tested for years and until the revo came on the go it was what everyone wanted. Then someone gets a Revo and guess what.... everyone wants it. LOL
I'm not bashing the revo intake, I'm sure its great - just as great as the Evoms and others out there.
Ceramic coating in theory is fantastic, I've used in on exhaust manifolds before, but on the intake pipe you have to question how effective it is for actual intake temps - the biggest issue here is the temp of the air being taken at the cone. The hot air in the engine bay is the biggest issue and the best solution is a cold air feed and vent is the best solution - feed to supply fresh cold air and vent to remove stale air and provide a circulation path. Not as easy as you would imagine unless you want a cone sticking through the bonnet ;)

Most "back to back" comparisons done are actually a bit subjective - for exampe go run a car on a dyno 3 times back to back and see if you get 3 identical results.... You wont. Temps, heat soak, tyre pressures all change and have an impact. The ECU its self will adjust to certain factors and this will have an effect.
So a "back to back" does not always show everything. If you did say Revo - Evoms - Revo - Evoms and the both of one type showed an advantage over the other I'd be more inclined to believe that test.... but it wont. In engineering we never follow a single 1 v 1 result. We have to do 3 of any comparison and then average the results and even then we need a pretty consistant result accross all 3 and then we average it. If the result is not close and the equipment has not changed then a perameter such as temp must equate to the difference ;)

Just a little subjective view to the argument :D

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Get the Evoms bud, i think you've convinced yourself that's the one you want.

Sent from LG G2 using Tuppytalk

betty_swollox

Richie
Feb 15, 2011
Washington
LOL. We are here to spend your cash and still save you cash at the same time ;) :D

Honestly, on Wide Open Throttle the EvoMS is loud and the flutter on light lift of is great. You hear the dump from the re-circ when you lift off under boost and if you are quick through the gears you hear the mix of the too as there is a little compressor stall :)

It does everything you want from an induction kit. I've never heard of one fail or give an issue.

If I'm honest most intake changes seem to be "keeping up with the joneses" or "whats hot at the minute".
The Evoms has been tried and tested for years and until the revo came on the go it was what everyone wanted. Then someone gets a Revo and guess what.... everyone wants it. LOL
I'm not bashing the revo intake, I'm sure its great - just as great as the Evoms and others out there.
Ceramic coating in theory is fantastic, I've used in on exhaust manifolds before, but on the intake pipe you have to question how effective it is for actual intake temps - the biggest issue here is the temp of the air being taken at the cone. The hot air in the engine bay is the biggest issue and the best solution is a cold air feed and vent is the best solution - feed to supply fresh cold air and vent to remove stale air and provide a circulation path. Not as easy as you would imagine unless you want a cone sticking through the bonnet ;)

Most "back to back" comparisons done are actually a bit subjective - for exampe go run a car on a dyno 3 times back to back and see if you get 3 identical results.... You wont. Temps, heat soak, tyre pressures all change and have an impact. The ECU its self will adjust to certain factors and this will have an effect.
So a "back to back" does not always show everything. If you did say Revo - Evoms - Revo - Evoms and the both of one type showed an advantage over the other I'd be more inclined to believe that test.... but it wont. In engineering we never follow a single 1 v 1 result. We have to do 3 of any comparison and then average the results and even then we need a pretty consistant result accross all 3 and then we average it. If the result is not close and the equipment has not changed then a perameter such as temp must equate to the difference ;)

Just a little subjective view to the argument :D

Thanks for that mate

I know what you mean about everyone jumping on the revo bandwagon, see it a lot with mountain biking as well lol!

When I had my first MK2 cupra I always wanted the Evoms like. Will have to wait and see cos I have £600 to pay for an exhaust this month lol :whistle:

big eck

Aug 11, 2005
Falkirk, Scotland
I've had both intakes and ran the car on the same rolling road and the results were that with the Revo intake fitted there was a 9bhp and 21lbft of torque increase. Obviously there's a lot more factors like temps etc so take from that what you will. If you look hard enough you'll find the Revo intake for a few £££s more than the Evoms. I was only £260 for mine and I sold the Evoms one on for £200 so basically paid £60 for the Revo lol.

betty_swollox

Richie
Feb 15, 2011
Washington
I've had both intakes and ran the car on the same rolling road and the results were that with the Revo intake fitted there was a 9bhp and 21lbft of torque increase. Obviously there's a lot more factors like temps etc so take from that what you will. If you look hard enough you'll find the Revo intake for a few £££s more than the Evoms. I was only £260 for mine and I sold the Evoms one on for £200 so basically paid £60 for the Revo lol.

I nearly got one for £280 mate but the lad decided to leave it on the car:shrug:

Like I said earlier, if the revo would give better benefits then that is the one i'd prefer but if theres no much in it, then I don't really mind

duncinascoob

Jun 28, 2010
Scotland
Eck - Did you simply run the Evoms, change to the revo and then run that?
If so the test is flawed and I wouldn't read too much into the 9bhp
Run the car twice on the same dyno and see if you get the same result twice ;)

And then the flip side - Could you ever tell the difference for 9bhp. I know I couldn't.

I'm not saying I prefer 1 or the other. I went for the one I could get at the right price. If another non foam filter came up cheaper than the Evoms at the time I was looking for it I would have went with it.

betty_swollox

Richie
Feb 15, 2011
Washington

And then the flip side - Could you ever tell the difference for 9bhp. I know I couldn't.

I'm not saying I prefer 1 or the other. I went for the one I could get at the right price. If another non foam filter came up cheaper than the Evoms at the time I was looking for it I would have went with it.

Most companies run the car 3 on the rollers for that very reason.

You never see dyno days advertised as 20 quid for 1 run do ya, usually 2 or 3 runs after it's warmed up and configured.

He might have meant in AVERAGE?

I presume he ran the car 2-3 on the same rollers with both intakes?

big eck

Aug 11, 2005
Falkirk, Scotland

It was ran on the same dyno a few months apart. The only difference was the intakes. Both times the car was ran twice. The 9bhp extra won't be felt on the road I agree but a jump of 20lbft of torque is pretty decent. Don't get me wrong I liked the Evoms and it made good power and a good noise but it didn't look that great and wasn't as secure as the Revo as it had no mounting points. If I didn't get the chance of the Revo intake at such a good price I wouldn't have bothered buying it and been happy with the Evoms.

I presume he ran the car 2-3 on the same rollers with both intakes?

Correct

Aug 6, 2009
cumbria
Booked my car in today for BCS downpipe and sports cat and booked in at Awesome for the free upgrade to stage 2 APR software.
Should have a few more horses under the bonnet on the afternoon of Wednesday the 7th of May.
Can't wait :)

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Might be front splitter next but i think the down pipe will be done at some point yeah.

Aug 6, 2009
cumbria
I'd rather have a down pipe first I think haha

Performance before looks I agree. I was lucky enough to buy my car with the splitter and skirts already on.

Yeah i like it, the wife does too ;)

Not too fussed on skirts tbh, quite fancy some nice sill plates though.

Well if the wife likes it at least she can't complain how much your spending.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.