Help - Lumpy Idle during DPF since recall

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
Here in portugal it is mandatory by law for every gas station to sell fuel without aditives since 2014.

Almost everyone is consuming it and no problems coming from it that I'm aware of.

Most of the times they are "snake oil", as long as the fuel is not contaminated and it is good quality you will be fine.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
The issue is that I live in Belfast and to my knowledge there is no Shell here. I normally fill up with the Premium stuff from Tesco.

What about the likes of BP Ultimate? I know I can get that handy enough?

I suppose that you could try that BP stuff, weird that some fuel companies leave out some areas, I'm a fan of Esso, can't say why really other than Shell really screwed up once which damaged a load of VX police cars in Scotland, so I dropped them from my list of possible fuel suppliers, though now I'm back trusting them if and when the price is right. Any time I've been away on holiday in the North East of England I just have to take what is available even near bigger towns as Esso don't seem to exist around there much.

I think the issue might be who is supplying fuels in your area, I don't think any of the old school main players stayed in the fuel retail business or the refining business, not enough money in it for them, so Greenenergy seem to have taken on the Esso brand and maybe supply Tesco, I don't know who now operate Shell and others maybe Optex(sp).

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Here in portugal it is mandatory by law for every gas station to sell fuel without aditives since 2014.

Almost everyone is consuming it and no problems coming from it that I'm aware of.

Most of the times they are "snake oil", as long as the fuel is not contaminated and it is good quality you will be fine.

Now that is weird as the "distilled spirit" that comes from refineries is not what modern engines are designed to use, they need "that" with certain additive packages - which as you say, leads to stories of "snake oil" - which is very annoying. Obviously these modern engines will run without additives in the "distilled spirit" - but it can affect their reliability/life under certain conditions - though is none of that is really true, life would be a lot easier for us, I'm currently trying out Costco petrol in my wife's 1.2TSI Polo, though I'll probably fill up from my local Esso filling station every 4th tank full, just in case! (It has been said in UK that Costco does use the best additives around at the moment - but what research work was put into finding that out, who knows, money talks?)

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
Now that is weird as the "distilled spirit" that comes from refineries is not what modern engines are designed to use, they need "that" with certain additive packages - which as you say, leads to stories of "snake oil" - which is very annoying. Obviously these modern engines will run without additives in the "distilled spirit" - but it can affect their reliability/life under certain conditions - though is none of that is really true, life would be a lot easier for us, I'm currently trying out Costco petrol in my wife's 1.2TSI Polo, though I'll probably fill up from my local Esso filling station every 4th tank full, just in case! (It has been said in UK that Costco does use the best additives around at the moment - but what research work was put into finding that out, who knows, money talks?)
When I say aditives I mean those miracle aditives that fuel companies claim to do miracles but without any proof, just to raise their prices.

The standard specs are met, which means it needs some additives in order to have ISOxxxx, ISOxxxx, etc... but no more than the mandatory.

The fuel here overall is top quality, at least compared to Spain. Also here all fuel comes from the same refinery which makes me to go always for the cheaper, and not worry to much about it.

Edit: We can still choose the fuel with those aditives, but the government made it mandatory for every gas station to have also have "simple fuel" as we call it.

Last edited:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I had a horrible feeling that all the quoted minimum requirement spec, like ISOXXXX was just to cover the basic "distilled spirit" and I'd guess set down a set of rules governing the paperwork procedures being in place (normal way of doing things - but it does not mean the end product is okay) and the RON will be stated.

I'd think if Portugal set down these rules every other EU country would also be setting these rules down, though here in UK we our businesses did not get the name "Rip Off Britain" for nothing?

Edit:- I don't know what happens in Portugal, but here in UK it is only the higher RON rated fuels that are said or claim to have a "better" additive package included, and some of that will be due to these higher RON rated fuels costing a lot more so easier for fuel sellers to justify that if they have a better additive package in them.

Last edited:

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
I guess that if those miracle aditives were doing something we would know by now as almost everyone is using this simple fuel.

At first it was very discussed, even with strong oposition from the fuel companies, but overtime most people are now accepting they dont do anything.

Edit:

here he have 95 and 98.
Both were additivated but the 98 usually had "better" additives,

now most gas stations have 95 simple, 95 aditivated and 98 aditivated
Others only have 95 simple and 98 aditivated

Last edited:

Faintlol

Sep 20, 2017
That really looks bad.
You have to go to SEAT and expose the problem.
They have to solve it.

To update you all - having sent this on to the dealership they have come back with the following response:

"Thank you for the videos, at least now we have something to go on. Still massive scale of what it may or maybe not be as there aren't any faults storing. Do you ever get any warning lights come on at all when this happens? "

I've advised them that I had a glow plug flash at me once about 2 months ago while driving, but other than that nothing.

I just don't see how running the car on non-premium fuel would cause the car to go the way it has done. It's almost always ran on premium Tesco fuel, but there are occasions where I have filled up on the cheaper stuff. It's not like this is a performance car, it should run fine on the standard Maxol/Tesco/BP fuel.

Sounds to me like SEAT haven't a clue what they've done to the car. Also strikes me that these technicians are unable to troubleshoot anything beyond what a computer tells them. I am going to ask them for a written report when I leave it in next week, detailing exactly what they have done. Surely on diagnostics they can test the EGR/Injectors/Put the car into DPF Regen to see this happening? I think they've been fobbing me off recently in the hope this magically disappears to be honest.

Disappointing to say the least. The extremely frustrating thing about all of this is that now the regen cycle has finished, the car runs and idles without a jerk or noise! :censored::censored::censored:

Will try BP Ultimate, if even just to see if it can flush some of whatevers in the engine out.

Faintlol

Sep 20, 2017
update on this 3 weeks later:

Car has been with SEAT for the last 2 weeks, and they are still not 100% sure what is wrong with the car. They think it's an EGR fault but are not 100%. SEAT UK have told the dealership to check the injectors also. Bit of a farce all round to be honest.

To make it even worse they've given me a SSANGYONG as a courtesy car! It's not a bad car but it's like a bus compared to my Ibiza!

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
They're just doing everything possible to prevent finally admitting its a crappy ECU map causing the issues, because thats the one thing they cannot change.

Faintlol

Sep 20, 2017
Dealership now changed their mind and think that it is an injector fault.. They have ordered the injectors and are waiting for the go ahead from SEAT UK to replace. Just keeping this thread up to date for anyone who may have the misfortune of coming up against this also themselves.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
A Sangyong as a loan car, SEAT are not really trying there are they, is this the best they can do for a customer who's car has needed an update due 100% to the fact that VW Group have been found to be cheats?

Faintlol

Sep 20, 2017
Yeah well Rum, what can I say.. Sour taste in my mouth big time over this.

Final update: SEAT have replaced ALL FOUR injectors in my car. I'm due to pick it up tonight.

As an aside - the dealership mentioned that I have the wrong type of coolant in my car - I have blue when it should be pink. Anyone ever come across this before? I figured the pink stuff was just designed to last for 5 years whereas blue was for 2 years? They're trying to charge me £54 for a coolant flush and change - If it's required I'd rather just buy the coolant myself and flush it but wondering is it actually required?

Cheers

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
What antifreeze were you using? Should be G13 or something I assume?

You're not supposed to mix cheap antifreeze with some of the G types you end up with sludge all over your system and it can cause big issues.

Faintlol

Sep 20, 2017
G13 indeed. Brought it to my own mechanic and they said it was grand so I'm going to leave it as is!

As an aside - what a difference those injectors have made! MPG back up to what I'd be expecting and the throttle is better than ever! Not a noise from the car either during DPF - got there in the end lol!

Faintlol

Sep 20, 2017
Rcopus - I have no idea to be honest. They just called me and said that all 4 injectors would need replacing, which sounds strange to me to be honest. I was expecting them to change 1 or 2 to be honest. It sounds to me like they have just decided to change all 4 as a precaution. I certainly wasn't going to complain :D

rcopus

Jun 6, 2012
Midlands
Rcopus - I have no idea to be honest. They just called me and said that all 4 injectors would need replacing, which sounds strange to me to be honest. I was expecting them to change 1 or 2 to be honest. It sounds to me like they have just decided to change all 4 as a precaution. I certainly wasn't going to complain :D
I guess we’ll never know! At least it’s all sorted now, still odd it only happened after the ‘fix’.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.