Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 wear problems

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
anyone else here experiencing wear problems on GSD3 Eagle F1's?

Not wear as in wear rate, but wear pattern.
If you can imagine running your hand over the top of the tyre on the edge (inner and outer) the wear pattern is wavey, kinda 50p shaped wear.

result of which is a wheel bearing rumbling/resonance. There can be loadsa tread on it still, but this odd wear pattern.

Happened twice to a friend with new Mk5 golf(s). did it on his PD140 and now doing it on his new PD170 GT . Mostly happening on the rear tyres.

Had a call from someone else this morning suspecting suspension/damper wear and continued to then describe the exact same wear patterns as my m8. His were 2 brand new MK5 Golfs, and this other is a MK3 Cupra Ibiza. Rear tyres on both of them, and same wear pattern.

Seems to me to be a tyre construction issue..

anyone else seen this and maybe thought "ah, suspension problem" where it might have been a tyre problem.

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
I am not sure its suspension issue at all... Too frequent and on new cars also with not other apparent problem...

Tyre construction seems more likely. more common that you think, but often dismissed in the name of "suspension problem"

My m8's recently fitted Michelins now, its early days, but if the problem goes'nt the only change will have been tyre. I am betting the issue goes away.

Odd tho dont ya think?

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
I've heard a few stories of manufacturing problems from Goodyear in the past few months. I know somebody with a Celica GT4 that had terrible wear problems and a tyre that bulged very early into it's life. I've read a couple of cases on other forums with similar wear-related problems. And I was in a Ford dealership the other day (dropping off the Mrs' Puma) and somebody was in there talking about their second set of Goodyears needing to be returned.

But on the flip side... I've read so many excellent things about Goodyear that we recently took the plunge with the Puma and had F1's fitted all-round and they have proven to be fantastic so far! And when my tyres need replacing I'm 90% certainly going for them also. Just got to hope we're not the unlucky ones that suffer from these problems!

Saul

<b>SCN Admin</b>
May 21, 2001
i have heard about goodyears being manufactured in the east as well as the USA (eastern ones having the problems)

Mitchy

TTRS
Oct 12, 2004
Ive just taken 2 F1's off the front of mine for another 2:doh:

The guy that fitted the 2 new tyres asked me if i wanted him to check the tracking as the inside edges were virtually bald, with middle and outside edges still with 2mm on them:shrug:

My tracking is fine though, had it laser checked not so long ago.

Must be a wear characteristic with tyre:shrug:

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net

The guy that fitted the 2 new tyres asked me if i wanted him to check the tracking as the inside edges were virtually bald, with middle and outside edges still with 2mm on them:shrug:

Are your wishbone bushes ok, Mitchy?

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk

if they wore bald on the edge in a wavey fashion...?

Mitchy

TTRS
Oct 12, 2004
They appear to be okay.

Its due an MOT soon mate, ill get them checked proper then.

Im not sure Bill, i never had a look at them after they were removed. Just know inside edges were worn a lot more than the middle/outer on both tyres.

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
This is interesting. Was about to splash out on some but think I will wait now. Keep us all updated Bill.

So any other tyres on par with the goodyears for grip etc?

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
Wavey wear or 50p stuff is usually across four-five (or more) tread blocks (I know it depends on what block pattern). Cupping is over one-two tread blocks, on the inside edge it's a sign of too much camber. Cupping is a definite concave wear on each section, 50p is more "wavey".

If it's wavey 50p stuff it sounds like what steve had (and a mate's brother) and was down to the shockers. I remember Steve's pictures were scarily bad.

Last edited:

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Thing is I cant believe 2 x brand new Mk5 Golfs suffer the exact same wear characteristics. Dont believe for a minute its dampers or suspension.
New cars remember, which drove perfectly.

I think construction/pressures etc..

most odd.

My own use of GSD3's has been great, but I dont get much milage from mine on the ibiza for obvious reasons from any tyre.

jadwot

Ive had gsd3s on for about a month havent seen any unusual wear on the front or rear. Wish i hadnt taken a closer look cos ive just found out there made in TAIWAN! Im gonna be checkin regular now

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members