Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 wear problems

Mike_J_C

I had 4 Goodyear F1 GSD3's fitted to my Mondeo ST220 just before Xmas.....the front 2 have now worn down to 1.8 (according to Ford Dealer) thus rendering them almost illegal!
The wear on these tyres is rather strange (ie not just inner or outer edge) so I presume its the 50p wear as described earlier by someone.
The wear also results in a noise whilst driving which I can only describe as "wheel bearing rumble"....hence the visit to Ford.

The rear 2 tyres are absolutely fine....stacks of tread remaining.

After reading this thread I checked the markings on the side of the tyres on both front and rear....they are identical except that the front two are "Made in China" and the rear two are "Made in Germany".

The car was 4 wheel tracked prior to Xmas also so its unlikely to be a geo issue.

RobM: Have you read anything on the t'internet about this issue, if so can you provide links (as I have been Googling for hours and found nowt - except this site of course).

Last edited by a moderator:

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
wear on mine seems OK,though i do think that they don't grip as well as they used to.
i also have Chinese fronts,and German rears.they will be the last f1's i have tbh.i can put up with the wear rate if the grip is good,but its not that good any more imho

neil

Jan 3, 2002
Grimston
Visit site
checked mine and found this :
tyres003.jpg

loads of tread left , both the front ones are like this after about 8000 miles.

Dangerous Dave

Dec 11, 2006
Over on uk-mkivs.net it has been suggested that the MK5 Golf suspension setup can cause the 50p shape worn tread problem on rear tyres that have a V pattern in the tread. Doesn't seem to matter on the brand of tyres, ones that don't have a v shape don't seem to be affected.

dsrr

Oct 23, 2004
Wear

Bill...sorry to ressurect this thread after so long but I have recently been having problems with a deep rumbling noise on my 54 Plate Octy VRS Mk 1, I too thought that it was a wheel bearing until I checked the rear tyres, the rear left is VERY 50P shaped, the righ seems to be going the same way and both are at 4-5mm and they are the chinese ones, I have used F1's for 70K miles on my last car and had no problems, they were German made ones, the ones I have on now are chinese and have worn very strangely.
I do mainly Motorway miles and do 2.5K miles per month and check the tyre pressures weekly, the front ones wore as if they were over inflated but I check them when cold and then when warm and set to 32 PSI to take nto account the sustained high speed running.

dsrr

Oct 23, 2004
Wear

I've had a look at it and all seems okay with it, the thing is there seems to be a history of this type of wear specifically with Goodyear F1's and mainly on the rear of Mkiv/mk V based platforms

Saul

<b>SCN Admin</b>
May 21, 2001
the mkivs used to eat rear beam bushes, could this be an issue?

dsrr

Oct 23, 2004
Wear

Thanks Saul, I'll check that but I think it is more likely it is an issue with the chinese F1's, I ran my last Octy VRS to 90 K miles with no problems.......not to say that this isn't a problem with this one though..one more thing to check I guess

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
I am convinced its chinese manufactured F1's.
German ones have'nt done it..
Its not rear beam bush related... my m8's x2 mk5 golfs both brand new both did it, before he changed to michelins and problem went away.

crappy chinese F1's is the cause. Cant think what else it would be.

dsrr

Oct 23, 2004
Wear

Bill, I'm in total agreement with you, I have checked the rear beam bushes this evening and there is no play or wear evident in any of the linkeages...my front F1's have just been replaced about 3K ago, the ones that came off were chinese....guess what they had weird wear patterns yet evrything checked out okay with geometry etc.....NEVER had a problem with the German Made F1's, just the chinese ones.....guess its time to change to the Pirelli PZeroe's I have tucked away in the garage!