Recommended tyres

DerbyForget

Apr 1, 2012
Burton on Trent, Staffs
Hi all,

I'm sure this question has been posted before but as the best tyres to use are ever changing i thought i would see what everyone is running and see what the best options are for some new rubber!

Background - I currently have Bridgestone potenza S001's fitted and although they still have plenty of life on the rears (fronts due soon) they seem VERY loud especially from the rear - with what can only be described as a wheel bearing noise (I've checked the wheel bearings and they are fine)

So I'm intending on changing all 4 tyres - currently I'm torn between going for the more sedate but apparently quieter and more economical turanza t005 (£80 per wheel fitted) - the potenza sport (£100 per wheel fitted) or the wildcard entry being the Goodyear eagle F1 assemetric 5? (About same price as potenza sports.)

So yeah what is everyone else running on their fr/cupra, how have you found them? Most importantly noise wise but then performance and wear wise

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Loud noise from the rear is often the alignment being wrong, common problem on the Mk5/6 platform used by many VAG cars.

Inspect the rear tyres and look for uneven wear, usually the inner edge wears much faster, indicating a problem.

Reactions: DerbyForget

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
On my MK2 I was using PS4S all round. I probably would have gone with this, except my MK3 already had near new Good Year Asym5 on the rear. So I added 2 to the front. I’m really impressed with them and a fair bit cheaper than the PS4S.

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Michelin have just released the Pilot Sport 5, so may well see a P5S tyre out soon.

Alternatively you might find some good deals on Pilot Sport 4 and P4S tyres as retailers look to move on the old stock.

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
michelin if after best tyre regardless.
personally i am a fan of goodyear f1s - great tyre but not silly price
Or is it??? on forums yes, in real life and tyre tests maybe not. Grip doubtful many would notice, even through one of the latest tests of with the Pilot Sport 5, Bridgestone didn't even bother sending the Potenza Sport but its Turanza T005 of which performed nearly equal to the PS5, so which is best, will we ever know. Main difference if the sidewall strength between the two, the Mich. will have a softer sidewall than the Bridge. A stronger sidewall provides more feedback less sidewall movement but can cause more noise although, the Potenza Sport is so much better than their older generation tyres.

Mich. & Bridge. the top two all good tyres followed by Goodyear, can't really go wrong with either..

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
If you are after quiet tyres discount the Goodyear Asy 5's

However they will be a damn sight nicer to drive than any of Bridgestones offerings.

I have never rated bridgestones on any car i have had the misfortune of using them on.

If comfort is your goal some Michelin Primacy 4/4+ would be my pick or if you want a more sporty tyre i would pick the new Pilot Sport 5.

Basically if you have an FR i would go Primacy. If you have a Cupra i would go pilot sport. Don't think a floaty tyre would suit a cupra

DerbyForget

Apr 1, 2012
Burton on Trent, Staffs
They've got a decent deal on at my local qwik fit at the moment 4x Goodyear eagle F1 asym 6's - fitted for £313... So might give them a go.

It's an FR so want something a bit sporty and a bit comfortable... Don't need a real performance tyre

ChocoHR

Apr 25, 2022
I just got 4 new Continental Contisportcontact 7 and "sadly" my cupra doesnt spin wheels on 3rd gear anymore lol .
Literally like having a different car, grip is unreal .

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.