DPJ's GTRS Eliminator Install and Development

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Saturday 16/06/07

I ground the bottom left corner off my ATP manifold. Then, I thought I'd bolt the turbo to the manifold to get an idea of the size of it and exactly where it would sit in the engine bay.

P1010012.jpg

P1010013-1.jpg

A quick peek down the back of the engine made me realise it would be well worthwhile disconnecting the two heater hoses at their bulkhead end to make it easy to get the turbo in and out.

I lifted the turbo in and placed it on my downpipe.

Then, I fitted the ATP highflow manifold using just a few nuts and no gasket.

Next, try to bolt the turbo to the manifold. I managed to get the offside bolt in, but the nearside hole in the turbo was towards the bulkhead by about 3mm.

Why........
Compressor housing on turbo catching the 6 speed gearbox housing.
P1010015-1.jpg

Last edited:

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
DPJ's GTRS Eliminator Install

Sunday 17/06//07

Turbo back out and set to with a grinder.

Top tip 385. When you're grinding mag-alloy, it's worth wrapping any nearby wires. I did - with a piece of soldering mat. :funk: What you shouldn't then do is let the alloy dust build up on it, then fire a few iron sparks at it. The flash you will get is incredible. :hide: I luckily managed to pull the mat out (glowing brighter than the sun) before any damage was done.
Water sprayer now on the job.

The 3mm i needed transposed to about 5mm at the gearbox housing - I think I managed to grind 6mm away.

Turbo and manifold back in, this time with an old manifold gasket as tolerances are looking tight.

p1010033.jpg

Last edited:

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
Good work Dave, I'd heard it was a tight fit - but I hadn't realised just how tight. I know a few people have clocked the housing to get round it, but then the outlet's not going to fit :shrug:

Old gasket is a good idea.

I was thinking the other day - I wonder if it's worth lapping the two mateing faces, especially after your blown gaskets.

Got some stainless bolts then?

*cough*measuring jug*cough* (only kidding)

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Sunday 17/06/07

Well I thought I'd tighten the turbo up to the manifold. (first photo taken before bolts tightened)

p1010031.jpg

p1010032.jpg

P1010035.jpg

p1010032.jpg

Yay! I appear to have got it to fit without having to clock it! :D :funk:

The bottom of the compressor housing is actually touching the gearbox housing. I'm going to take a nick out of the gearbox housing there so that no strain is being put on the turbo shaft when the whole thing is tight. That part of the gearbox housing is actually a large lip/cowl that goes over the top of the driveshaft coupling.

The large inlet fits on the compressor inlet ok. (or it will when I've cut off the surplus upstanding bracket on the gearbox.)

Next - to make this little lot fit properly. I think I'm going to need to make a bracket to hold it to the gearbox. I can only line one hole up.
P1010040.jpg

P1010038.jpg

Tomorrow I'm posting my ECU to Revo for flashing.

Last edited:

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Good work Dave, I'd heard it was a tight fit - but I hadn't realised just how tight. I know a few people have clocked the housing to get round it, but then the outlet's not going to fit :shrug:

Old gasket is a good idea.

I was thinking the other day - I wonder if it's worth lapping the two mateing faces, especially after your blown gaskets.

Got some stainless bolts then?

*cough*measuring jug*cough* (only kidding)

Cheers Phil. I'd thought about lapping the surfaces, but I decided I didn't want to f*** around with the new turbine housing. Yes, A4 stainless bolts this time.

When I had the manifold in my hand earlier, I thought of you and the measuring. :D TBH - it would leak if I did, it's got a hairline crack. :cry: I've thought hard about it, and I'm getting it welded up this week.
P1010019.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Lookin good dave, i'm lookin forward to seeing the shifter cables goin the inlet to see what thats like.

Just a thought, did you previously use the gaskets that came with the mani? I read theyre not as good as OEM ones.

That actuator is gonna be close to my bulhead i reckon.. whats it like on yours?

Wonder how much angle grinder work is goin to be needed on a 5 speed as well...

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Lookin good dave, i'm lookin forward to seeing the shifter cables goin the inlet to see what thats like.

Just a thought, did you previously use the gaskets that came with the mani? I read theyre not as good as OEM ones.

That actuator is gonna be close to my bulhead i reckon.. whats it like on yours?

Wonder how much angle grinder work is goin to be needed on a 5 speed as well...

Cheers Phil. I know I'm going to have to alter the shifter cable bracket. I've read it's easy to break the plastic ends so I'm going to go very carefully there.

Yes, I used the ATP supplied gasket last time. This time, I've got an OEM one.

I'm surprised, there's bags of room between the actuator and the bulkhead. Am I right in saying the Ibiza has more room between head and bulkhead then the Leon?

5 speed I'll bet you don't have to get the grinder out. Are you going to wait until yours is back on the road before you proceed with the BT?

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
I hope i have just as much room dave, but after fitting the k03s i'd say i'd be ok. Just a little worried thats all. Will be ordering my kit within the next two weeks.

Are you using any other fuel pump with your setup?

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
I hope i have just as much room dave, but after fitting the k03s i'd say i'd be ok. Just a little worried thats all. Will be ordering my kit within the next two weeks.

Are you using any other fuel pump with your setup?

I don't think the actuator projects backward much more than the K03S one, Phil. (I had to take mine off to take the K03S out, so I'm not positive - I think the Garrett actuator is sitting on a different position relative to the turbo)

Fuel pump - no I was hoping not. I've got 550 Genesis injectors. I've got a mental block at the moment as to whether I have to refit the 3bar FPR or stay on 4bar.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Revo uses 3bar on the 550cc's now dave, speak to kev about it tho just to make sure but i'm 99% sure its 3bar.

Thats what i wanted to hear tho, was a little bit worried about the whole space thing, but i'm sure its nothing a hammer, angle grinder and swearing wont sort out.

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
A large assorted box of arse, **** and **** has helped me enormously however. ;)

:roflmao:

Funny, I'm 50/50 with the FMIC at the moment. Do I take the charge pipe outlet a la Ibiza and inlet as LC (leave my own inlet mani on), or do I run it like a Leon Cupra R (and use the shiny one)? Any thoughts?

Got to be easier to go Ibiza charge pipe style? Although don't they have problems with the turbo outlet hose (at least forge do a TT/S3/LCR one)? But there's a fair bit to source/change to go LCR style charge pipe. Have you got a single pass FMIC?

Robdon went Golf manni/ibiza charge pipe, didn't he?

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Ibiza charge pipe will piss you off dave. You have to take it off everytime you want get to coilpack no. 4.

What side of the car is your inlet/outlet on the FMIC, that will narrow your choices really.

I will be ditching my charge pipe to go for the LCR/TT setup as the inlet on my forge fmic is on the drivers side.

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Ibiza charge pipe will piss you off dave. You have to take it off everytime you want get to coilpack no. 4.

What side of the car is your inlet/outlet on the FMIC, that will narrow your choices really.

I will be ditching my charge pipe to go for the LCR/TT setup as the inlet on my forge fmic is on the drivers side.

I've got a Forge LCR FMIC to go on, Phil. Is it handed (in/out?) I'd never really thought about it! <quick trip to loft - no, the end tanks look the same inside.>

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.