DPJ's GTRS Eliminator Install and Development

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
I suppose it would be a better solution, but don't forget Dave will have to lengthen wires on the MAP sensor and TB. Not real biggy, just something else to go wrong...

Finding a TT/LCR/S3 charge pipe might be the issue - although there's that thread with a couple of aftermarket ones, and making one up on the car isn't too much trouble...

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
I suppose it would be a better solution, but don't forget Dave will have to lengthen wires on the MAP sensor and TB. Not real biggy, just something else to go wrong...

Finding a TT/LCR/S3 charge pipe might be the issue - although there's that thread with a couple of aftermarket ones, and making one up on the car isn't too much trouble...

Yes I'd taken lengthening the wires into account.
The thing with an LCR charge pipe is that it's got the two outlets on it (DV and ?). Do you know what diameter the LCR charge pipe is?

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
Outlets are DV and N75. DV is 25mm N75 is either 6mm or 8mm. Standard are 60mm diameter, from memory, although I'm fairly sure.

There's a fair bit of bracketry that goes with it as well.

Wouldn't be too hard to block the stock 25mm DV take-off, perhaps a bit rough looking because the stock pipe if REALLY thin and hard to weld. Where's the DV take-off on a Cupra?

I wondered about using the standard DV take off for a temperature sensor, out of interest...

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Monday 18/06/07

Managed a day off work at short notice. :D

This is promising.

ATP big bore inlet in place, sitting as low as it would possible go on the 6 speed box. It just missed the big upstanding lug so no cutting. (I'm getting scared of the fireworks from mag alloy - especially when i remembered water + magnesium is not good either!)
I'd need to make a bracket to hold it in place, it isn't anywhere near a mounting hole.
P1010041.jpg

The ATP TIP is fitted to it. One issue, it's touching the ABS body - does anyone know if that gets hot?

P1010042.jpg

3" MAF body attached to my RamAir. I think I can make that fit into the 4" CAI (might replace that with a better tube.)
P1010044.jpg

P1010047.jpg

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
I'm confused - yours is a 5 speed, and that's ATP's 5 speed inlet, right?

I remember seeing someone's pictures on how the bracket had been modded to hold it in place - I thought it was Myk3...

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Ahhh, makes sense to me now as well. Thought i wasnt goin mad. lol.

Dave, i said about the inlet/outlet as a lot of fmic pipework has a larger ID on the pipework to the TB.

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Monday 18/06/07 continued......

The shifter cables sit quite comfortably across the top of the ATP big bore inlet in the position I've got it (not yet fixed down)
P1010048.jpg

ATP's shifter bracket is another matter though! Miles out. Some extensive fabrication is required.....
P1010049.jpg

Last edited:

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Monday 18/06/07 continued......

Posted my ECU to Revo.

It didn't take me long to make a template for the shifter cable bracket to go on top of the ATP big inlet. Once I was happy, I checked it against the OEM bracket and (unsurprisingly :doh: ) the cable hole plates were in virtually identical locations to the OEM bracket.

*The OEM bracket has rubber mounts - do you think they make the change softer? How do you think a direct bolted bracket will make it feel?

It took me a lot longer to design a template for the bracket to hold the ATP big inlet to the transmission. I could only use one of the three original mounting holes - the 'side' one is useless and the frontmost hole makes the big inlet sit up when it has a bolt in it. In the end, I'm using the two 'unused' upstanding holes - I'm glad I didn't cut them off.

Stripped ATP big bore manifold back off and cut a groove down the crack, then I dropped off the two templates and the manifold at my tame welder's.

That's it 'til the weekend. I need to get my head round what I need for the intercooler pipework now.

Last edited:

myk3

Dec 16, 2005
pretty good, lots of mods needed to make it fit, but you are doing very well and fast.

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
The inlet side has a vane (for want of a better word) inside at the top directing air to the top of the intercooler.

A baffle. Ok, thank you, I didn't look hard enough. :doh:

If I wanted to use it right to left pass, I'd need to cut the mounting brackets off and re-weld them on the other side so I could turn it over.. But I'm virtually decided I'm going down the LCR layout now.

**Edit - I spoke to Forge - they confirm the IC can be used either way round. - there is no baffle.

Last edited:

myk3

Dec 16, 2005
Cheers, most of the time has been spent staring at it! :D

What you have written before has been very valuable, thank you. The ATP manifold's a doddle with no water pipe or turbo in the way. :D

cool! glad i was of help.

when do you think you will have it all done?

air121005

Sep 28, 2006
Worcestershire
have to say, thats a good fit!
not a lot of room for manouvers what so ever by the look of it!

what sort of output figures are you hoping to achieve using this setup!

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
cool! glad i was of help.

when do you think you will have it all done?

If I get my ecu back this week, I can have the turbo and inlet side installed and fluids refilled. I'm tempted to connect the compressor outlet to the existing LC charge pipe just to get the car back on the road next weekend. Then I'd install the new FMIC pipework the following weekend. But I think I've been lucky so far, there'll maybe be a big snag somewhere. :shrug:

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.