Car Not Starting/Battery Dead.

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
Right I have abit of a dilema.

Went to work today in my car, started no problem this morning. Parked at work, left it for 8 1/2 hours and came out, started no problem. Drove 20 miles home from work and went into the supermarket. Came out about 20-25 minutes later and it wouldnt start. No lights on the dash or anything. Got it jump-started and jumped no problem. Took it for a run and came home.

Left the car for an hour and went out again and its dead again. This time I just have dash lights, but there is now a buzzing coming from behind the dash from around the fuse-box ignition area.

Thinking dead battery. Or the alternator draining the battery.

Any help would be really really greatful as I need my car. :cry:

Craig.

markoos

Simples!
Feb 1, 2004
Cumbernauld
Visit site
I would get the battery/alternator checked-by the sounds of it the problem's definitely in that area-how old is the battery?I only ask cos you generally only get 5 years or so out of a battery before it needs replaced

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
I dont know how old the battery is but Ive had the car over 2 years and I havent replaced it. It seems like the battery isnt actually holding a charge, theres enough power to keep the clock on.

But the buzzing that I'm getting is bugging my because I dont know what it is :confused:

chuk

if possible try disconnecting the negative lead only then after a couple of hours reconnect if all is ok you may well have a drain somewhere at least it eliminates whether your battery is on the way out or not, if you have access to a mutimeter check the ampage/voltager also.

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
I think it is the battery cos the mileage displayed on the clocks is flickering, i.e going dull then back to normal colour and dull again. And Im still unsure of this buzzing sound :confused:

I think it is the battery tbh, I dont think it is actually holding a charge, theres enough power in it to work the central locking pump etc.

chuk

I think it is the battery cos the mileage displayed on the clocks is flickering, i.e going dull then back to normal colour and dull again. And Im still unsure of this buzzing sound :confused:

I think it is the battery tbh, I dont think it is actually holding a charge, theres enough power in it to work the central locking pump etc.

there could be a bad earth as you are saying your display is flickereing if it was just the battery itself then i would have thought it would be dull not flickereing this points to a bad connection/earth ,have you no access to a spare battery to check before forking out for a brand new one as they are not peanuts nowadays £50 minimum i suspect from your local motor factors if its just done this all of a sudden seems a bit odd its worth cleaning your terminals and wires to the battery anyway asx a matter of course.

Jameze

Mar 9, 2008
Up Aberdeen Way
Right I have abit of a dilema.

Went to work today in my car, started no problem this morning. Parked at work, left it for 8 1/2 hours and came out, started no problem. Drove 20 miles home from work and went into the supermarket. Came out about 20-25 minutes later and it wouldnt start. No lights on the dash or anything. Got it jump-started and jumped no problem. Took it for a run and came home.

Left the car for an hour and went out again and its dead again. This time I just have dash lights, but there is now a buzzing coming from behind the dash from around the fuse-box ignition area.

Thinking dead battery. Or the alternator draining the battery.

Any help would be really really greatful as I need my car. :cry:

Craig.

Sounds like one of two things either you have a faulty earth or your battery needs replaced, the alternator sounds ok but worth a look.

My guess is you will have to fork out for a new battery :( £80 quid from halfords for a higher power one but considering the lesser model is only £10 cheaper so it aint a hard choice lol, good luck fixing it mate

Jz

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Thanks for all the advice folks but I got it fixed.

I phoned the aa and used my home-start, thought I may aswell as Im paying for it. It was the battery, the car started if you jump started it and it was being charged by the alternator because it was checked. As soon as you switched the car off it wouldnt start again. £45 for a new battery and all is well. :D

Sep 20, 2006
Birmingham
My guess is you will have to fork out for a new battery :( £80 quid from halfords for a higher power one but considering the lesser model is only £10 cheaper so it aint a hard choice lol, good luck fixing it mate

Jz

Wow. £80 for a heavy duty battery? No wonder people call them Halfrauds lol. Its less than half that price from the local motor shop by me.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.