L.E.D sidelights that work...?

ross27

Mazda 3 MPS
Mar 22, 2009
Glasgow
You do need the type that disapate heat and mounted on metal body work{ally body resistors 2.2 ohm/25w ?}not the wire wound shown in the pictures so mounting them in line may cause a fire risk. I have used a very simple 501 bulb holder and bulb built inline which works fine over the last 18months. ..................

Thats exactly what i was thinking of doing, lights for the engine bay :p

bizzaboy

Thats exactly what i was thinking of doing, lights for the engine bay :p

This thread has gone from (pointless) day time lights to lights for the engine bay!?? :doh:
With BOTH types of lighting being pointless, this thread is fast approaching "Scrapyard" material. :lol:

......at least the RAC guy will appreciate it, when your car breaks down at night time. ;)

ross27

Mazda 3 MPS
Mar 22, 2009
Glasgow
Ok so i done what OLDOILER suggested, linked up to my old sidelights inside the engine bay to "load" the circuit.

It may be a poor mans job, but it works fine, and OLDOILER has had it working like this for over a year.

So thanks to him for the idea, info and the help!

Here a diagram i just drew up, incase people dont understand:

LEDSolution.png

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
Ok so i done what OLDOILER suggested, linked up to my old sidelights inside the engine bay to "load" the circuit.

It may be a poor mans job, but it works fine, and OLDOILER has had it working like this for over a year.

So thanks to him for the idea, info and the help!

Here a diagram i just drew up, incase people dont understand:

LEDSolution.png
Very well done, I do have some pic's but they are of poor quality. ........................

ross27

Mazda 3 MPS
Mar 22, 2009
Glasgow
what you have done is the same as fitting a resistor , so why not just do that in the first place?

Try and find some resistors that work with these LED's. Remember, each tower has 15 bulbs.

The resistors off eBay have been tried, and failed.
Its been said the wire resistors would not cope with the heat, and would be a fire risk.

You would need about 2.7Ohm resistors, as thats the resistance through the Standard bulb.

To save the hassel of finding resistors to do the job, this is a simple and easy way of doing it.

ross27

Mazda 3 MPS
Mar 22, 2009
Glasgow
They could very well do the job.
Although, im not sure how good the ceramic resistors are at handleing the heat!

Need to ask OLDOILER, he seems to know his stuff with all of this!

Feb 12, 2006
North Lincolnshire.
Think I will try these anyway.They are only a couple of quid each.If they dont work its no great loss.Will post results sometime soon.
The ceramic resistors should handle the heat much better in theory anyway.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2006
North Lincolnshire.
Might try and fit them inside the headlights but not sure how fiddly it will be.Will certainly save having to bother too much about pvc tape but will put some on anyway.

Feb 12, 2006
North Lincolnshire.
Thanks for the input but will try it anyway to possibly give others the hint of a quick fix.Dont like the idea of having another bulb dangling freely if this will do it.

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
The EBAY heading is a bit confusing the header refers to LED, but the sub section refers to Xenon Bulb Sets?? and they are v expensive - plus there are no pictures so what are you really getting??

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.