Faulty EGT sensor?

BoomhaueR

Wanna go fasterrrR
Oct 9, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Hi all,

Recently I put my car (2003 LCR210 AMK) on a rolling road and got some disappointing results. I only got 238bhp 290ftlb with Revo stage 1. The operator said the car seemed to be pulling back.

So scanned for fault codes and this is what I found:

17861 - Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor 1 (G235): Open or Short to Plus
P1453 - 35-00 - -

17864 - P1456 Exhaust gas temperature control bank 1 limit attained

Fault codes were reset and did some logging, which felt good. HB6 T9 with only a few CF's of 3 and AIT's under 40 degrees. No problems there. It was holding good boost too, peaking at around 24 and holding at around 20PSI. Re-checked fault codes and it was still there.

Can anyone translate the above? Does it mean my EGT bank1 sensor has had it?
I have searched loads and can't find much. Just a lot of open ended inconclusive threads.:confused: Any help would be appreciated as I don't want to go and spend £150 on a new EGT sensor if I don't need one.

Cheers

CupraMVR

Awesome GTi Technician
Oct 19, 2006
Crewe Cheshire
Ive changed a few of theses but they dont normally go. seems like its lost its connection.check the wiring plug that its in. its on the front of the engine with a silver braided wire.

there is only 1 bank with this engine its not a V6 so only 1 bank.
i had a car with over boosting issues and that was the EGT sensor that was fault changed it and was all sorted. sadly its an expensive sensor.

John

BoomhaueR

Wanna go fasterrrR
Oct 9, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Thanks John, I'll have a look tomorrow in daylight and see if I can find it. I've no idea where it should be though or what it looks like (other than what you've said above). It would be nice if it was just a loose connection: fingers crossed.

May 13, 2007
Denmark
Hi Boomhauer,

As said, it's at the front of the engine, if you look at the dipstick and the black plate which it attached with to screws, when that removed you will be able to see it.

If you look at this picture:
DSC01552.JPG

You can see the sensor hides just behind the actuator rod.

May 13, 2007
Denmark
Out of interest, I myself have some issues with my Revo stage 1 map. Do you have a boost log, I would really like to see it.

BoomhaueR

Wanna go fasterrrR
Oct 9, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Thanks Gubien, should be able to find it now. :) Sorry, I don't have the full version of vagcom so can't log boost. I can borrow my friends maybe in a few weeks.

Skorchio

600 Miles to a tank :)
Jan 23, 2007
Nr Milton Keynes
Hello mate, thats for your PM, i thought i would post it on here for every one to see.

The first fault code is exactly what i had and was caused by rusty earth's under then battery. Take the battery out and the tray and you will find 2 earth points.

Here
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showpost.php?p=2472471&postcount=377

Log 002 and get you injector on time, then work out you injector duty cycle by (injector on time X rpm)/1200 = injector duety cycle. You can see an example of this on the above post. Mine was way over 100% before i fixed the EGT, this is because the engine cant see the EGT's so it adds loads of fuel in to be safe.

The second fault code IIRC is when your EGTs go to high, you may want to (once fixed the first fault) try logging 118 which is you EGT's. anything over 900 is a no no :)

Then you get WMI ;) and thats ALLOT of fun :D

BoomhaueR

Wanna go fasterrrR
Oct 9, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Thanks Skorchio. This is very helpful.

How did you clean the earths and what did you use to bridge the main battery earth?

I'll have to get busy with Vagcom this weekend too :).

Also, what's WMI?

Cheers

Skorchio

Jan 23, 2007
Nr Milton Keynes
No worries mate, i used a file and sand paper to clean them, then used 2 ring terminals and a piece of wire to bridge them, once it was all working i covered all of it with allot of clear coat.

WMI is water methanol injection. Spraying in water and methanol at a very high PSI in to your intake cools the charge down, your engine runs cooler and you can advance you timing. Huge gains can be made, i made 23 BHP. Also logging intake temps, when usually you push you foot down they increase, mine dropped 6c when i put my foot down. Its insane to watch. but very complicated to understand everything at play and setup correctly. Read through Probee's thread, there is page after page of very good info on there. Steep learning curve if your doing it all yourself tho.

BoomhaueR

Wanna go fasterrrR
Oct 9, 2008
Exeter, Devon
A quick update: I cleaned the earths etc and reconnected as per scorchio's guide above. Fault still there. :(

I went to the dealers yesterday to buy some parts and while I was there spoke to a mechanic about it and asked for a price just out of curiosity. The guy said he couldn't find it and Leons don't have an EGT sensor and the fault on vagcom is pointing to a dead lambda.

Now is he talking out of his arse or am I stupid for giving this a second thought?

CupraMVR

Awesome GTi Technician
Oct 19, 2006
Crewe Cheshire
Yep hes talking utter Bull . Golfs dont have them. LCR's have then in the back of the exhaust. and the sensor plugs in the front under the inlet manifold. ive changed a few. they aint common problems with them but can cause faults

Skorchio

Jan 23, 2007
Nr Milton Keynes
It bolts in to the turbo, Look down the back of your engine you will see a thing sticking and a wire thats metal braided.

The EGT Loom is completely separate from the main loom so some stealer's never find it. They really don't know Sh1t

The sensor is around £180 and if they don't have it in stock it can take up to 4 months to get it in.

You might want to try Pin Testing the EGT plug with a multi Meter to make sure all the feeds are right, the error says its a wiring fault so i don't think its your EGT.

BoomhaueR

Wanna go fasterrrR
Oct 9, 2008
Exeter, Devon
OK update on this: I have replaced the sensor with a brand new one, however the fault code is still there.

I have cleaned the earths as per Scorchio's guide too.

What else can be causing this fault code...I have ran out of ideas.

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
OK update on this: I have replaced the sensor with a brand new one, however the fault code is still there.

I have cleaned the earths as per Scorchio's guide too.

What else can be causing this fault code...I have ran out of ideas.

Have you tried logging your egts to see just how high they are getting? Could just be exceeded the threshold and triggering the fault code?

BoomhaueR

Wanna go fasterrrR
Oct 9, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Thanks, I will get some logging done in the next couple weeks and let you know what I find.

It feels fine to drive and I wouldn't have known there's a problem until I checked fault codes. I assume it's safe to drive still as it hasn't gone into limp mode and no lights on dash either.

EDIT: If the sensor works (which it should being brand new) could it be a problem between the connector plug and the ecu? How would I test it?

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise