EVOMS Cone Enclosure

hubbly_bubbly

[center][img]http://i374.
Aug 18, 2008
Johannesburg, South Africa
I wanted to quieten down the overbaring sound of the intake for daily use. During highway driving it is particularly loud at cruising speeds. The noise, which seems to come through the glovebox and passenger footwell, all comes from the cone (well at least with an EVOMS it does), so that needed to be caged. Some research revealed a useful tutorial from the net on fibreglassing an air filter enclosure. Bought a couple of fibreglass repair kits from the local hardware store for R95 each, paint brushes and masking tape and I was good to go.

Before

P1010107.jpg

The EVOMS partition and pipe (cone removed)

DSC00075.jpg

Making a mould of the cavity with masking tape, cardboard and newspaper to protect the car and engine bay from stray resin drops. I decided to make the enclosure two parts to add to the EVOMS partion. A bottom and sides was made first and the lid thereafter.

DSC00078.jpg

DSC00079.jpg

Moulding the ram air pipe to feed into the enclosure

DSC00080.jpg

The fibreglass sheets impregnated with resin (mixed with the provided catalyst). Its really great material to work with, once wet with resin it melts to the curves of the mould. Latex gloves come in handy (excuse the pun) when working with fibreglass sheeting and resin

DSC00086.jpg

The bottom and sides part of the enclosure dry and stripped from the cardboard mould

DSC00093.jpg

The bottom and sides of the enclosure installed back into the engine bay

DSC00096.jpg

A hole was cut for the ram air pipe to feed into the enclosure

DSC00098.jpg

The lid was made but profiling some cardboard, sticking it to the sides of the enclosure and then using masking tape to contour the CAI pipe. The resin impregnated fibreglass of the lid

DSC00100.jpg

hubbly_bubbly

Aug 18, 2008
DSC00102.jpg

The dried and stripped lid

DSC00110.jpg

DSC00112.jpg

Using a dremel (pencil grinder type circular cutting tool) I cut off the excess fibreglass similarly to the bottom and sides half.

DSC00114.jpg

Using some more fibreglass (courtesy of my work :D) and resin i made a lip around the edge of the lid

DSC00116.jpg

The first lid was not smooth at all on the top surface and hence I had to take a mould of it and then use that negative to make another lid. The mould for the second lid. Using masking tape on the inside surface to give the smooth finish on the top surface of the lid.

DSC00182.jpg

The lid mk2 resined up in the mould

DSC00183.jpg

The lid came out the mould looking 100 times better than the first. It still wasn't as smooth as I wanted it to be so i proceeded to coat it with lots of thick coats of paint. This is one of the colours that I used, for all the chrono lovers ;)

DSC00243.jpg

hubbly_bubbly

Aug 18, 2008
The finished bottom and sides

DSC00130.jpg

The finished lid, matt black which I thought would match the other black plastics of the engine bay

DSC00252.jpg

The bottom and sides of the enclosure installed on the car

DSC00139.jpg

DSC00142.jpg

The lid installed, completion of the enclosure

DSC00265.jpg

DSC00268.jpg

DSC00270.jpg

DSC00271.jpg

DSC00272.jpg

The enclosure works beautifully to keep the cone alot quieter. The consistant drone at 3000rpm during highway driving is gone. It hasnt completely silenced it only made it alot easier to live with everyday. When it comes time for dyno days, breakfast runs and drag races ill open up the enclosure to make some EVOMS noise and then close it up again for my week day commutes :) I am planning to do comparitive logs of air flow with the enclosure versus without. Ill post the results as soon as they are complete. It might be the case that the performance is better with the enclosure. In that case ill keep it on for performance events. Mass of air taken in and intake air temperatures should show that up pretty easily.

Last edited:

hubbly_bubbly

Aug 18, 2008
Great job mate, I might have a go at this. How did you make your standard engine cover fit over the EVOMS ram pipe? Can you post a brief explanation of how you cut it to fit?

Pretty much as per the tutorial. I didnt fancy cutting so much of the engine cover off. I started by taking the cover apart and started with the bottom half. Held it on the engine and judged by eye what needed to be trimmed and removed and repeated that process with smallish cuts until the bottom half of the cover popped into place. I then followed a similar procedure for the top half. Eventually I had enough of the cover removed to put it back in place with the intake pipe fitting nicely inside it. I wouldnt advise cutting your original, try source from scrapyards off a GTI or S3. Mine is from a GTI and I just clipped that plaque from the original into my trimmed cover :)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.