DSG 7 rattling NOISES! HELP PLEASE!

najiabinader

Dear All,

I am new to this forum.

4 days ago, i got a new Seat Ibiza 2010, 1.6 L, with DSG 7 gearbox.

From the moment i took it from the dealership, i can hear noises whenever the gear is changing from 1 to 2, 2 to 3, 4 to 5 and backwards and whenever i drive on a bump.
Sounds like pipe noises, or metal banging together.

Plus, when i stop on a slope and press on break, and when i need to accelerate, the car shifts backwards, and then accelerates viguourously.

The car has only 400 Kms!!!!

I went to the dealership garage, and they told me that this is something very normal! all ibizas with DSG 7 make noises like this!

is it true? are you guys having these weird noises?:(
It is something really embarrassing, and i feel like i made the wrong choice by buying an IBIZA.

Your comments are really appreciated!

Many thanks in advance

Update: April 20, 2010

Went to the after sales service today and met with the manager.

We went for a ride in the car, and he confirmed that he is hearing the noises, but informed me that these noises are normal and that the DSG 7 is like this! I simply cannot believe that a new gearbox should make noises while changing!!!!!! noises like some pipes rattling together!!

I informed him that yesterday i went for a ride with a friend of mine who has the same model, Ibiza 2010 with DSG & gearbox that was bought 6 months ago, with the same DSG 7 gearbox, and there was no noises whatsoever!! He said no, all the cars come with these noises!

This is unbelievable, a car that has only 500 Kms , making noises when changing gears from 1 to 2, 2 to 3, 4 to 5, and making noises on roads that are not flat or that has some bumps, and the dealership denying that there is a problem!

Plus, why is the gearbox making noises on these shifts only, and not making noises while changing other shifts?

Is it something normal for a car to have gearbox noises when it had only 30 Kms?

Plus, sometimes, while car is in neutral, and i put on Reverse mode, it starts to act in a jurky way, just like the driver is someone who is driving the car for the first time and doesn't know how to use a clutch. This is something not comfortable, and not safe!!! I'm feeling that driving my ibiza is affecting my personal safety.

The car has now 500 kms, and the noises are still the same ( if not getting worse!!!!)

When i asked the manager to provide me with a report stating that i came to the after sales garage 1 hour after i got the car from the dealership, with 30 Kms driven only,complaining about these rattling noises and weird DSG 7 functioning, he refused to provide me with one, and told me he had to get back to his manager and that he will call me with his reply.

This is something really frustrating and embarrassing and is pissing me off, and i feel like i am cheated and lied to to buy a car that does weird noises while changing the gears or while driving on bumpy or not flat roads!!!!! Come on, we are talking about Seat!!! not some Cheap car manufacturer!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

mainaman

Feb 19, 2010
London
I had problems with the DSG during my first week of ownership.Sometimes(on start-up) it would refuse to pull away,making terrible grinding noises,then it would jump forward in first gear and then it would stop.

Seat didn't find faults(their words) and it lasted only the first week.

najiabinader

Mainaman and Dave 77, many thanks for your kind reply.

My problem is permanent! Whenever i am driving on a bumpy road and the gearbox is changing, i hear those noises!

I mean come on, the car is brand new, is it natural to have such noises and such behaving??

najiabinader

Hey Flapper!
Thanks man!
unfortunately, it is true!
i will try to record the noises i hear on my cell phone tomorrow, and post it here.

It's not the only problem though, i don't feel safe driving the car, since whenver i need to drive on a hill, and if there was some traffic and i have to stop, i'm afraid that i might bump into the car behind me :(

I read some posts of VW owners with the same DSG problems, but couldn't find any Seat drivers having this issue!

It's really frustrating :(

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
I must admit I have had no issues with mine at all. Does your car have hill hold or not? Is that an extra actually?! If it does have hill hold you sure as hell should not be rolling backwards. Come to think of it, my car did actually roll back once when I was on a big speed bump and I thought I was gonna run backwards into the car behind me, fortunately I pulled away in time but have not had that problem again. You should go to the dealership and take them on the road to show what it is doing and tell them you do not believe that to be a standard thing on these boxes and they better fix or replace.

najiabinader

Hey Mk2 Cupra.

I read that the DSG 7 is excellent!!! that's why i got my ibiza with this option!
i got my car on friday, and i have been at the dealership twice!

First time, i had only drove the car for 40 Kms!
one of the guys there drove the car and told me this is something very very natural! all DSG gearboxes are like this!

It's really really embarrasing, it's making so many noises when shifting in 1, 2 and 3!

Today i also went to the dealership, and asked to talk to the manager, unfortunately, he was busy, he had someone from Seat Spain!

I am waiting for their call tomorrow for the meeting :(

najiabinader

By the way, i live in Lebanon! but i don't think this should be a problem right?
I mean all ibizas are made in spain? Correct me if i'm wrong!

najiabinader

i already sent an e-mail to seat at [email protected]
they replied that they forwarded my comments to the importer in my country, who will analyze the case and get back to me.
But the importer in my county is denying that there is a problem!!!
what to do next?

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
Defo sue. Have you actually got it in writing from the importer that they wont sort it or is it the dealer saying they wont fix it? Rememer to get everything in writing, that way they wont have aleg to stand on when you drag their sorry butts to court hahahahahaha

najiabinader

tomorrow, i'm going back to the dealership ,to try and talk to the manager.

Also, i'm going to ask them to document the fact that since the moment i took the car, i had this DSG problem which they said it is something normal.

I'm really frustrated.

a while ago, i took the car for a spin, and when moving from 3rd gear to 2nd gear, the change was very harsh, like you pushed the brakes (which i didn't).

I can't beleive all the problems and the car has only less than 500 kms!

please excuse my bad english...

najiabinader

guys check the update on the first topic!!!

i'm really really frustrated :(

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
they are taking the piss mate. The whole concept of the DSG box is to make the gear changes as quiet and seamless as possible. Why would it be making noises then? They are screwing you around mate! You need to get the number for SEAT head office there and ring them up or alternatively threaten the dealership with going to the newspaper. No company wants bad press at all. If needs be, get your friend with the same box and no problems to go there with you so you can take them out in both vars and show them the difference between the two.

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
I suggest going out with the manager in your car and another Ibiza with DSG back to back - that way you can demonstrate the clear differences.

As a last resort if that doesn't work, I'd suggest taking it to another dealer as a warranty claim - it doesn't need to be where you bought it from. Even if the other dealer just agrees there is an issue it's more evidence to use against the place you bought it from.

garethrobson

FR LOVER
Jun 10, 2009
County Durham
are you from the uk?

if so, phone consumer direct they are REALLY helpful they sorted a few issues with my ibiza for me and they will help you with all legal stuff too.

My advice would be to phone them, and also send an email to the manager stating you arent happy and remember to state that you have had the problem since day 1. He should then reply (and he probably wont deny it) then you have legal evidence that he isnt denying you have had the problem since day 1 :)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.