Leon FR PD170 TDi Injector problem

timmah1980

Thanks again for the feedback, guys.

My budget is around the £6k mark (plus part-ex), so a newer '09 plate is out of the question, I'm afraid. I've got an old X-reg Toyota Avensis (1.8 petrol) at the moment, so I'm looking at replacing it with something more sporty but with almost as much space and practicality as a family car. Something affordable with more poke would be nice too, which has made me look at the FRs. And I've always like the Leons.

The FR 170 TDI ticks all of the boxes, except for the DPF issue. I've been told by some people that it'll be ok if I keep in mind that it'll need clearing on a long run every now and again, whereas other have told me that it's unsuitable for mostly town driving and I'd be potentially getting myself into expensive problems.

I found this thread because of the injector problems, but from what I've read here, I'm happy enough that it shouldn't be a problem if SEAT are agreeing to put right any issues.

Nick G

I am completely unbiased here as I own a 2008 Seat Leon FR (TDI 170) and a 56' plate Skoda Octavia VRS (Petrol).

If you're doing low miles, and want something big and practical like your Avensis, go and try a Skoda Octavia VRS... They're cheap too - £7k will get you a really nice 56 / 07 plate Petrol with 40k miles, or a 65k mile TDI version.

The Leon is decent size, but is still a relatively small hatch at the end of the day, boot isn't massive and there's not a huge amount of rear leg room but the Octavia has an insanely large boot and plenty of room.

Purely depends what you need the car for, but on journeys loaded up I always take the Octavia over the Leon.

McDubber1

Jun 29, 2007
East Lothian
Car back now. No real difference in MPG. 4 injectors and loom. Did not touch the ECU. I asked how much would it of cost £800 was the reply.

Will have to put my wifes car in now (Freetrack)

On a side note is £299 for a cambelt change a decent price. A water pump will cost between £20-40 pounds so worst case £339.00 all in? Is this correct this was a Seat dealer price!

Kinjamin

Is this on the fixed price scheme that some dealers are running? I asked my dealer about it who are not part of it. I was told by them that for the £299 all you are getting changed is the cambelt itself not a complete cambelt kit which costs around £200 alone.

That was one of the reasons they gave for not being in the fixed price scheme because they would never recommend just fitting the cambelt alone. I got them to do the cambelt kit and water pump on mine when i had the injectors done and it cost me £460!

timmah1980

I am completely unbiased here as I own a 2008 Seat Leon FR (TDI 170) and a 56' plate Skoda Octavia VRS (Petrol).

If you're doing low miles, and want something big and practical like your Avensis, go and try a Skoda Octavia VRS... They're cheap too - £7k will get you a really nice 56 / 07 plate Petrol with 40k miles, or a 65k mile TDI version.

The Leon is decent size, but is still a relatively small hatch at the end of the day, boot isn't massive and there's not a huge amount of rear leg room but the Octavia has an insanely large boot and plenty of room.

Purely depends what you need the car for, but on journeys loaded up I always take the Octavia over the Leon.

That's great info, thank you.

What sort of mileage to you get with the Octavia around town, and by how much does that improve on longer motorway trips? I've looked around online and there are a few about but mostly petrols. There's one nearby so I'll arrange a test drive asap.

Does the diesel Octavia VRS suffer from the same DPF problems as the Leon? Also, does anyone know if the VRS diesel suffers from the same injector problems or is it specific to the Leons?

timmah1980

Ok, thanks. I'll start looking at the petrol ones again, I think. Too many reported problems with the diesels (not that I've even researched problems with the petrols yet!).

Generally, I only do about 5 miles a day during the week, all under 20 mph. Sometimes more at the weekends, but I only drive 60mph plus if we're actually going somewhere at the weekends, which isn't that often. I could do without the hassle of having to justify frequent dual carriageway blasts to the wife, just to keep the car happy! ;o)

Thanks again for the feedback, chaps.

kinjamin

Black Altea XL 170
May 9, 2009
Is this on the fixed price scheme that some dealers are running? I asked my dealer about it who are not part of it. I was told by them that for the £299 all you are getting changed is the cambelt itself not a complete cambelt kit which costs around £200 alone.

That was one of the reasons they gave for not being in the fixed price scheme because they would never recommend just fitting the cambelt alone. I got them to do the cambelt kit and water pump on mine when i had the injectors done and it cost me £460!

Thanks for the information. Wondered why it was a little cheap!

Kinjamin

kinjamin

Black Altea XL 170
May 9, 2009
Car back now. No real difference in MPG. 4 injectors and loom. Did not touch the ECU. I asked how much would it of cost £800 was the reply.

Will have to put my wifes car in now (Freetrack)

On a side note is £299 for a cambelt change a decent price. A water pump will cost between £20-40 pounds so worst case £339.00 all in? Is this correct this was a Seat dealer price!

Kinjamin

MPG now up by 2-3 mpg!

Kinjamin

timmah1980

Thanks again for the recommendation, Nick. I'm checking out an 06 plate VRS petrol tomorrow morning (£6.5k, 59k miles).

markptg

hey up,

has anyone actually had theyre mpg go down since havng the new injectors fitted?? i seem to think mine has! :-(

just had them done today, on a 57 plate leon fr. was averaging 45ish before and now says 38 on the trip computer! they lent me an Ibiza ecomotive as a courtesy car, 72mpg!! nearly had a heart attack haha

chrism42

Ha well at least the numpties gave you a chance to get your car back!

It feels a hell of a lot smoother with new injectors... if they replaced them for Siemens Piezzo that's what were in originally, not sure what the replacements were... they didn't replace my wiring loom which I'm not sure if they should've??

I think they did my loom when I had them done, I assumed it was part of the job of having them replaced!

FYI, Chaps. My '56 reg Altea FR PD170 died at 70 in the pouring rain last friday evening. Don't know about the brakes, but the steering power assistance definitely vanished. Got it towed to my local indy garage. Googled on Saturday, found out about the 'recall'. Garage confirmed the ECU error codes indicated injector wiring short. Rang Marshalls in Cambridge, they confirmed my car was on the list. Shipped it up there this morning, they confirmed it qualified for the recall, and all injectors and the wiring loom will be replaced tomorrow FOC. I'm pleased and relieved, and many thanks to all who persevered last year in getting the matter escalated... :)

briggsy1987

Mar 24, 2009
I've received a letter this morning from SEAT UK with a VOSA stamp on the envelope. It seems SEAT are now going to run a customer satisfaction campaign for model year 2006/7 -Piezo unit injector. I have had my car fail on me and have all my injectors replaced by a SEAT garage already, but just as a heads up to anyone worried about their cars SEAT will be offering a free examination of your injectors and free repair work where necessary. It seems those VOSA complaints have paid off in the end, but they're not going as far as calling it a recall.

wuhseer

Jun 16, 2011
Worcestershire
Feel like i've been mugged off by my Seat dealer, was having some issues a couple weeks ago so rang them up to see what they advised after plugging it up to diagnostics and seeing exhaust pressure sensor failure I enquired whether my car was part of this recall or not and get the reply back "yes it is"....

Ok, well can i get it booked in asap then please??....

Apparently it needs to go in for two days as they don't keep spares and the next 2 day availability was this Monday 6th Feb. Which is a total wait from originally booking of 10 days.

Yesterday it failed to start.

Plugged it up to diagnostics again and this time injector and injector loom.

Rang back to ask if it could be recovered seeing as its failed due to injectors and the fact that they sold me the car 6 months ago probably knowing it had faulty injectors, answer was no you have to sort that yourself, quote for recovery £160.

Surely this isn't good service??

Will be on the phone to Seat UK first thing tomorrow to express my disappointment in the service received so far

MrFishFR

Feb 5, 2012
Burton On Trent
I had my injectors done last week FOC. Got the car back and with out a doubt it's better on fuel and accelerates better and smoother however it seems to have developed a rattle in lower gears when I let off anyone else got this and know what it is?

Skinny_uk

I had mine recalled a few weeks ago I have had a few problems with the car juddering when it's cold has anyone else had this problem??

Alzak

Aug 10, 2010
Watch Your DPF after this recall my light is on now every week or so ...